Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Friends and family of mine who live "across the pond" do not like their standard of living and would prefer to live here. They find it difficult to get ahead where they live and are always struggling to get by.
I guess it's a question of personal tastes, too.
Standardized health care is not bad at all here. (I've had to use it myself.) My mother (in the US) had to fork out 7,000 dollars for dental work. Many Americans are living at a lower quality of life than in the past. (I earn more here in Italy than I ever did in the US.)
I've also read recently that some of the best places to live in the world (quality of life) are in Europe: Zurich, Denmark, Sweden..

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I don't know if you've been reading the news much recently, but the US has been toying with the idea of starting a war with Iran.

Italy is not planning to go to war with anyone.

BIG difference.

And that is the topic of this thread: war. (not pirate ships)

Peace,
brian
No, the supporting article used in the OP was about firing on a boat. Italy did the same thing and killed more people. Is Italy itching for war too?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My old man saw the European concentration camps and he saw the citizens eating out of garbage cans in 1945.

Not very impressed with their culture.
A lot has changed in 65+ years!

Peace,
brian

Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietySam View Post
Now explain why our boat is there in the first place!

Protecting our freedom --right? 10000 miles from our boarder!!
Ummmm, maybe it's because Iran has threatened to shut off the straight of Hormuz again?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,300 times
Yo Brian, guess what? America is the BIG BAD WOLF. The top dog. The king of the hill.

The reason Europe isn't entrenched in perpetual warfare is because the U.S. takes care of all the dirty work, so European countries don't have military expenditures like we do.

Our government may be a mess, and our politicians may be inviting the third world onto our shores, but you can rest assured that Americans have the resolve, determination, and the ability to right this ship.

Americans, unlike most Europeans and other peoples worldwide, haven't given up their free speech or their right to bear arms. We are still the most free, prosperous country in the world.

We are the greatest empire to ever grace this Earth. We will endure.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No, the supporting article used in the OP was about firing on a boat. Italy did the same thing and killed more people. Is Italy itching for war too?
The issue is not (only) violence. I don't "support" what Italy did, if that's what you're getting at.

The issue is CONTEXT. The US is chomping at the bit to start a war with Iran. (Obama has declared "not excluding the use of military force" against Iran.) Israel, US's chum, is also wanting to press certain buttons.
And this aggression in waters not far from the Iranian coast, is asking for trouble. It's looking for war. Obama, if intelligent, would have ALL ships taken away from Iran, IF he wanted to improve US-Iranian relations.

Basics.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
The Boat was warned to steer away. They elected to ignore the warning. I prefer our military to error on the side of caution for our own.
As for the whimpering the US needs to learn to get along lecture. Then why did Europe need us to go clean up their back yard. Bosnia???? Half the problems in the ME are a direct result of European politics.
I have been to Italy 27 times with the Navy. Not a bad place to visit and I like the people, but perfect italy is not.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Jealous of WHAT?? High health care rates??
Pretty much everything that is American. Our standard of living for one, and our way of life. I'll tell you, imitation is the purest form of flattery, and Europeans imitate US in every way.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietySam View Post
We can take this argument back a long way to prove it is the western zionists who started this war with the middle east.

America does not belong on their lands. America should not be occupying lands with military bases.
Are we invited by host nations? Is so then we have every right. Perhaps if Iran was threatening their neighbors then the neighbors wouldn't feel the need to invite the USA for a sleep over.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Yo Brian, guess what? America is the BIG BAD WOLF. The top dog. The king of the hill.

The reason Europe isn't entrenched in perpetual warfare is because the U.S. takes care of all the dirty work, so European countries don't have military expenditures like we do.

Our government may be a mess, and our politicians may be inviting the third world onto our shores, but you can rest assured that Americans have the resolve, determination, and the ability to right this ship.

Americans, unlike most Europeans and other peoples worldwide, haven't given up their free speech or their right to bear arms. We are still the most free, prosperous country in the world.

We are the greatest empire to ever grace this Earth. We will endure.
Unlike some of my fellow Americans, I'm not afraid of the boogeyman. The US is just as dependant on the rest of the world as the rest of the world is on it. It's called "international relations" and "globalism." War-drum beating is useless if we want to progress as humans. The "protection" that you are convinced the US gives to Europe, is also the same "protection" that other nations receive from Russia, or China, or what-have-you.

We here in Europe has free speech (probably freer than the US, since there is a communist party here in Italy and no one trying to eliminate it. Think "Red scare".)

Free to do what?? Free to pay taxes? Free to take whatever government they sell you? Free to wave a flag?

No, I don't see America as "Great." Sorry. There are many technological achievements that have been made (many by foreigners living in the US), including medical advancements.

But the US is not alone. At all. And, regarding this particular thread, the US is showing itself, once again, to be nothing better than a playground bully.

I would expect MUCH more from a country that you say is "SO Great."

Peace,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies