Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Having a bit of drought in the US?

Drought of 2012 worst in decades | WOOD TV8
HOLLAND, Mich. (WOOD) - The nation's widest drought in decades is spreading, with more than half of the continental United States now in some stage of drought and most of the rest enduring abnormally dry conditions.

Only in the 1930s and the 1950s has a drought covered more land, according to federal figures released Monday.
What caused it then?

Warming? Yep. Root cause: nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Having a bit of drought in the US?

Drought of 2012 worst in decades | WOOD TV8
HOLLAND, Mich. (WOOD) - The nation's widest drought in decades is spreading, with more than half of the continental United States now in some stage of drought and most of the rest enduring abnormally dry conditions.

Only in the 1930s and the 1950s has a drought covered more land, according to federal figures released Monday.
Hey, I was in Kansas for both your mentioned years and although I don't remember the 30s from having been a small child during them I don't remember things being so bad in the 50s but then I was in Europe in 1955 through 1957 and sure didn't see any drought there.

Do you know what part of the world is said by some to have the rainiest weather in summer every year? Why it is southeast Germany, or was when I was there. Just outside Munich we had rain every day for 40 days in 1956 and those poor farmers had to cut their hay over and over to keep up with all the moisture. I love Bavaria for many reasons but I think it was the people much more than the rainy weather.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I had to watch Jodi Miller while I was on your MRC link. I love her as a comedian.

I bet not many of our lefties looked at your link and surely none of the watched Miller.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Global warming had already been observed by the 1850's. I have a U.S. Patent Office Report from the 1850's, which is chock full of science articles, news and more. One article was about the observations that the climate was warming up.

Global warming is real. The only thing that can be debated is the cause.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Global warming had already been observed by the 1850's. I have a U.S. Patent Office Report from the 1850's, which is chock full of science articles, news and more. One article was about the observations that the climate was warming up.

Global warming is real. The only thing that can be debated is the cause.
pretty much everyone agrees with this.

I would argue that cause is only part of the question. I think the warming (0.41C over the last 100 years) has multiple causes. Human activity certainly is a major one.

That being said, I do not believe that there has been any evidence to support the notion that the warming we have seen is going to lead to additional uncontrolable warming. (the CAGW theory).

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
so the human caused part is intentionally omitted. the strategy remains the same. Global distribution of wealth....to some more than others.
Didn't you notice that's already happened since reaganomics deregulation? You already know that. The same people preying for rapture index. No that wasn't a typo.

You don't mind 100 degree summers for months. Droughts. Tornadoes. Hurricanes. Then there's fracking induced earthquakes.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
The action is in the sun and the effects of the moon on our planet.
The green science is all a sham and is being used to push a left wing agenda.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
In a year in which the Continental US had virtually no winter and we still in the worst drought conditions in perhaps 80 years, I find this posting more than a little tone deaf and stupid.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The action is in the sun and the effects of the moon on our planet.
The green science is all a sham and is being used to push a left wing agenda.
Ooh, haven't heard the moon excuse before. I wonder if that's Bill O'Reilly's handiwork.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
In a year in which the Continental US had virtually no winter and we still in the worst drought conditions in perhaps 80 years, I find this posting more than a little tone deaf and stupid.
The first thing to understand about the global temperature that the rise is measured in fractions of a degree. Weather is not climate, while it has been warm in the US that is balanced out by areas experiencing colder weather. For example you mentioned the warm winter in the US, well Europe had some very cold weather. The warm weather here does not show global warming and the cold weather in Europe is not indication of global cooling. It's just an indication that weather globally is variable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies