Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times

Advertisements

I am an artist. I try to research both candidates and then vote for the least of the two evils, or at least that is the way it generally seems. It usually turns out that the candidate that I favor is a democrat. Democrats generally do what is best for all Americans as opposed to one group of people. In the current election, the entire Republican party is pretty sickening.

The GOP Congress has been more concerned with making Obama look bad in order keep that January 2009 promise of making sure he was a 1 term President, than with the welfare of the people who voted them into office and who they represent. That promise was made before the President was sworn into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
Artists are generally weird people who think independently and by definition a conservative prefers groupthink and the status quo. That's why Christian music generally sucks when compared to its secular equivalent.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Artists are generally weird people who think independently and by definition a conservative prefers groupthink and the status quo. That's why Christian music generally sucks when compared to its secular equivalent.
Christian music is really bad. I would have to agree.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Why aren't there many politically conservative artists, even less so, neoconservative artists? (That includes musicians, fiction movie makers, poets, video game designers, etc.)
I wish there were more fiscally conservative Republicans. We wouldn't be in the pickle we're in if that were the case.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
First, let's recognize that American political categories don't make a lot of sense. I would not expect artists to line up completely with either of our two miserable options.

Second, most artists are likely to be a-political. They don't have political minds and don't spend a lot of time on politics (with the possible exception of writers). They're looking at the human condition from completely different angles.

Third, I think you will find that many artists tend to be socially conservative. Great artists are often inspired by their religious faith. Many of their works are steeped in the imagery of cultural traditionalism - sword and plow, throne and altar, soldier and poet. Note how the "princess" fantasy has endured even in our ultra-egalitarian and democratic age.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
One more thing: what passes for "conservatism" in America today is really just re-branded liberalism. Historically, it is liberalism that politicizes everything, elevating politics to the status of a religion, forcing everyone to be political actors. Today's conservatism is no different. Why does this matter? Because politics stifles art.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Yes because everyone should chase after money and only care about being rich their whole lives. How fun and fullfilling! I noticed that many of my fellow creatives have bigger hearts and aren't as materialistic as conservatives. We don't need 5 quads, 3 cars, a boat and a gigantic house to be happy and if any of us do make a lot of money off it we have no problem helping the poor and those with less.
Really? My liberal friends are more materialistic and name brand conscience than me. Iv' noticed they are more likely than me to buy something because they feel they deserve it rather than if they can afford it or not. I don't think it makes you good or bad people one way or another. I would just say that conservatives are better money managers. It's about priorities. What I can't understand is someone choosing to work on their art that doesn't hardly make them a living and then they play the victim card or say the rich aren't generous. The artist is happily living with his choice right? Or is he?

It isn't generous to want to raise taxes to give more to the poor or pay for everybody's stuff. It is only generous if it is your own money given freely which a lot of conservatives do very generously.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Really? My liberal friends are more materialistic and name brand conscience than me. Iv' noticed they are more likely than me to buy something because they feel they deserve it rather than if they can afford it or not. I don't think it makes you good or bad people one way or another. I would just say that conservatives are better money managers. It's about priorities. What I can't understand is someone choosing to work on their art that doesn't hardly make them a living and then they play the victim card or say the rich aren't generous. The artist is happily living with his choice right? Or is he?

It isn't generous to want to raise taxes to give more to the poor or pay for everybody's stuff. It is only generous if it is your own money given freely which a lot of conservatives do very generously.
You must have Rush Limbaughs show on a loop! That is one of the craziest statements I've heard from a right wing nut case in a LONG TIME. The Richest of the rich evade more taxes than the working class has taken out of every hard earned pay check! We also give more to charity then all the millionaires all combined. I know many liberals and they all pretty much pay taxes.

I also know a lot of good christian republicans:

One of them can't lose weight and is on disability and medicare. Medicare is going to pay for her lap band so she can lose some weight rather than just going to a gym.
Another one is in jail for trying to pick up a 13 year old.
Another one is in jail for heroine.
And another is on unemployment because she'd rather stay at home and screw her boyfriend than find a job.
And they all hate Obama and hate the idea of having their taxes raised. They love glenn beck, limbaugh and fox news. Amazing.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 PM

A society can only be judged by how well it treats it's lowest members. So IF my taxes are helping, fine.

If we have a society of super rich and then a bunch of poor people who can not afford health care for their children, how are those chidlren supposed to succeed?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
You must have Rush Limbaughs show on a loop! That is one of the craziest statements I've heard from a right wing nut case in a LONG TIME. The Richest of the rich evade more taxes than the working class has taken out of every hard earned pay check! We also give more to charity then all the millionaires all combined. I know many liberals and they all pretty much pay taxes.

I also know a lot of good christian republicans:

One of them can't lose weight and is on disability and medicare. Medicare is going to pay for her lap band so she can lose some weight rather than just going to a gym.
Another one is in jail for trying to pick up a 13 year old.
Another one is in jail for heroine.
And another is on unemployment because she'd rather stay at home and screw her boyfriend than find a job.
And they all hate Obama and hate the idea of having their taxes raised. They love glenn beck, limbaugh and fox news. Amazing.
Name calling? Why? Any anyway judging from your comments you are far more of a left leaning wacko then I am right wing. I never claimed to be religious and don't really like beck or limbaugh. You need to stop seeing everything in black and white and thinking in extremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies