Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Because the right is always scrambling to take his comments or actions out of context, and create fake controversies.

You can post videos of Obama during the "Apology Tour", too. Doesn't change the fact that every example was totally taken out of context or totally made up...
The right?
I am firmly in the middle and yet his comments in the past have been about people like me and those I know.
It is his job to be careful about what he says.
He banks on the fact that his comments are seldom about city people where the highest cocentration of votes are found.
I Laugh at those on the left that can take 1 sentence out of an entire speech and demonize anyone they disagree with, but when the right does it then its a personal attack.
The fact is Obama does this quite a bit. Its a safe risk. if he alienates folks from say Wyoming or North dakota no big deal. Not a lot of electorial votes there. Are less important than his chicago base? Less American?
The left demonizes all republicans. Most farmers are Republicans. Most who serve our country in the military are Republican.
Are all farmers bad? Biggoted narrow minded drones? Most farmers that I know are very independent. Most don't receive the big money subsidies that corporate farms get.
Are all who serve bad people? Narrow minded misfits who had no options?
I dont think so. Only to the hard left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The right?
I am firmly in the middle and yet his comments in the past have been about people like me and those I know.
It is his job to be careful about what he says.
He banks on the fact that his comments are seldom about city people where the highest cocentration of votes are found.
I Laugh at those on the left that can take 1 sentence out of an entire speech and demonize anyone they disagree with, but when the right does it then its a personal attack.
The fact is Obama does this quite a bit. Its a safe risk. if he alienates folks from say Wyoming or North dakota no big deal. Not a lot of electorial votes there. Are less important than his chicago base? Less American?
The left demonizes all republicans. Most farmers are Republicans. Most who serve our country in the military are Republican.
Are all farmers bad? Biggoted narrow minded drones? Most farmers that I know are very independent. Most don't receive the big money subsidies that corporate farms get.
Are all who serve bad people? Narrow minded misfits who had no options?
I dont think so. Only to the hard left.
I served in AF intel protecting your behind from the Russkies and am proud of my service. The guys I served with, like myself, were not far right-wing like today's Republican party. How dare you! You truly believe that the men and women who willingly serve this country and have sacrificed their lives are - Republicans?? The republicans in my life all avoided military service like the plague.
The brass may be right-wing republican because they want the money and repubs have unlimited funds waiting for them.
You are "firmly in the middle" yet today's Republican Party is nowhere near the middle.
It is the right wing which favor Big Agro over the small farmer, Big Oil over the small startup business, big subsidies for those who don't need them.
You are sounding like a dedicated Fox "News" viewer.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Politics are never "in context". It is just the way the game is played by both sides. Regardless, that part of the speech certainly comes across as disdain for the successful even with the infrastructure comments intact.
First the website for the expanded story. Misleading Romney Ad Uses Frankenstein Monster Of Chopped Up Obama Quotes | TPM2012
Here is the quote in context - Obama referring to the public infrastructure and how the wealthy use government every day. The right-wing edit in blue.

"If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Get it? Thought not...
Where is the "disdain" here? OK I got it - calling out the Right is considered disdain.
There is nobody more disgustingly un-American than your wealthy "successful" who utilize the infrastructure for profit then try to skip out on paying taxes while dumping the burden on the lower classes. Your 1% heroes want 0% tax rate on their investment income, and repugs want them to have it. The word "disgusting" is too kind.
By attempting to destroy the country for their own political capital, the Right deserves much more disdain than they are getting from the hated "mainstream liberal media". Be happy!

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-21-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
The Romney camp lied, and did a "cut and paste" job on the speech to use it out of context, to create a big blow up to move the discussion away from why Romney won't release his tax returns. It isn't working. The other problem for them is that the truth always comes out in the wash, just as it has now, and this doesn't exactly help Romney's reputation for having big problems telling the truth (or even the same story twice.)

Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The Romney camp lied, and did a "cut and paste" job on the speech to use it out of context, to create a big blow up to move the discussion away from why Romney won't release his tax returns. It isn't working. The other problem for them is that the truth always comes out in the wash, just as it has now, and this doesn't exactly help Romney's reputation for having big problems telling the truth (or even the same story twice.)
Well, it should come out in the wash, but the mainstream media, which Americans depend on, can spin it any way they want with no one the wiser. Thank God the Right doesn't control the internet - yet (though they are lusting for it).

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Get it? Thought not...
Where is the "disdain" here? OK I got it - calling out the Right is considered disdain.
There is nobody more disgustingly un-American than your wealthy "successful" who utilize the infrastructure for profit then try to skip out on paying taxes while dumping the burden on the lower classes. Your 1% heroes want 0% tax rate on their investment income, and repugs want them to have it. The word "disgusting" is too kind.
By attempting to destroy the country for their own political capital, the Right deserves much more disdain than they are getting from the hated "mainstream liberal media". Be happy!
No, I DID get it, but you are assuming I was talking about that segment of his speech. Prior to that statement he mocked the "smarter" and "Harder working" as feeling those traits brought them success. That was what I was referring to. Some people are smarter, do work harder, and are willing to take greater financial risks to become successful. We are using the same advantages that everyone else, including ourselves, "helped build" and have access to. Most are not willing to risk and play it safe. I can certainly understand that, but that gives no right to complain when we are rewarded with above average profits.
Did you express outrage when the democrats were destroying public economic perception during the "terrible Bush economy" of 5% unemployment just to win elections in 2004, 2006, and 2008?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
No, I DID get it, but you are assuming I was talking about that segment of his speech. Prior to that statement he mocked the "smarter" and "Harder working" as feeling those traits brought them success. That was what I was referring to. Some people are smarter, do work harder, and are willing to take greater financial risks to become successful. We are using the same advantages that everyone else, including ourselves, "helped build" and have access to. Most are not willing to risk and play it safe. I can certainly understand that, but that gives no right to complain when we are rewarded with above average profits.
Did you express outrage when the democrats were destroying public economic perception during the "terrible Bush economy" of 5% unemployment just to win elections in 2004, 2006, and 2008?
I respect people like Henry Ford, Steve Jobs, even Bill Gates who actually produce something. They deserve their riches.
I do not respect members of the idle 1% who are living off of capital gains income while complaining about the lower classes not doing their share. Besides that, they use their wealth to influence government policy for their own benefit.
I especially appreciate the struggling (or startup) small businesses and prefer my taxes going to support them - until they reach a point that they don't need them (or fail).
Plus I'm tired of hearing about how Obama "hates" successful people, or as you say has a disdain for them. That is just oligarchic Fox self-serving, right-wing crap.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:30 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Every week one of the Rightwing loons on here post a blatant lie about Obama that's easily disproven in minutes, and none of them have the courage to retract their statements.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Every week one of the Rightwing loons on here post a blatant lie about Obama that's easily disproven in minutes, and none of them have the courage to retract their statements.
Or look it up - because they don't want to. They are out of ammunition so they throw stones.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:07 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
So is it your position that Obama DID NOT say those things?

We can post the VIDEO of him saying it if you like.
You can hit them over the head with it and they'll still say it was something else.

Not a word was taken out of context. He meant exactly what he said and what he said is what he actually believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies