Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
An Italian president could probably do it...
Sorry but the Lateran Treaty makes that an impossibility, there is this thing called sovereign immunity. The Vatican is not a province of Italy, it is a sovereign nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
This is from a site called BS alert and we are suppose to believe what they write? OOOKKKKAAAAYYYYYYY

Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Sad to see the usual culprits defending the indefensible.

This is not an attack on anybody's faith. This is about an organization which, at the highest levels, knew about criminal activities by certain of its members, which did not report those activities to the authorities (and not just in the USA), which in a number of cases, allowed those members to continue with their abuse, which did their best to shield those members from possible criminal proceedings and which has, in many cases, acted abominably towards the victims.

The above is well established. In the name of common decency, how can people try to defend this?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Not many nuns running around anymore. Probably got tired of the priests molesting the boys and not them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Hard to tell who is a nun and who isn't nowadays. I miss the habits, although I'm sure that the nuns don't.

Most of the nuns that I know personally role their eyes about priests,"""

Isn't that what most Catholics have done...just roll their eyes and go right on supporting child rapers???
Yes, it is.

""" so I think that most are more than comfortable as brides of Jesus.
There are many nuns and the leaders of the church have recently attacked them saying they're "too secular" because they are out in the world helping people and not raping children.

The support of evil is the support of evil.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
[quote=Jaggy001;25295681]Sad to see the usual culprits defending the indefensible.

This is not an attack on anybody's faith. This is about an organization which, at the highest levels, knew about criminal activities by certain of its members, which did not report those activities to the authorities (and not just in the USA), which in a number of cases, allowed those members to continue with their abuse, which did their best to shield those members from possible criminal proceedings and which has, in many cases, acted abominably towards the victims.

quote]

Amen. One could make a great case demonic influences exist in the business unit known as the US Roman Catholic Church, which has never born any resemblence to the faith.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Protection of child abusers, as well as covering up, is no longer tolerated. Why is this man still around?
Why? Because he represents the values of his church. Values which many people find sickening. There's little in this man's life to admire.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The order was made in a confidential letter, obtained by The Observer, which was sent to every Catholic bishop in May 2001."

Oh, OK. I'll read the letter and evaluate the facts for myself...

"It asserted the church's right to hold its inquiries behind closed doors and keep the evidence confidential for up to 10 years after the victims reached adulthood. The letter was signed by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who was elected as John Paul II's successor last week."

Yep, OK. Not questioning the truthfulness of your article...just want to read what the letter actually says.

"Lawyers acting for abuse victims claim it was designed to prevent the allegations from becoming public knowledge or being investigated by the police. They accuse Ratzinger of committing a 'clear obstruction of justice'."

Do the lawyers have a webpage where I can read the actual letter?

"The letter, 'concerning very grave sins', was sent from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, the Vatican office that once presided over the Inquisition and was overseen by Ratzinger."

"Very grave sins", crap! That could be anything from mass murder to workin' the gherkin!

"It spells out to bishops the church's position on a number of matters ranging from celebrating the eucharist with a non-Catholic to sexual abuse by a cleric 'with a minor below the age of 18 years'. Ratzinger's letter states that the church can claim jurisdiction in cases where abuse has been 'perpetrated with a minor by a cleric'."

Yeah, great, now about the part where it tells people to cover-up abuse...

"The letter states that the church's jurisdiction 'begins to run from the day when the minor has completed the 18th year of age' and lasts for 10 years."

I'm not seeing a cover-up here.

Maybe I'm missing something here...like the actual letter.

Nice try Helenejen.

I guess if you want to hate on the Roman Catholic church, you'll have to get a better source.

We can all agree that children were sexually abused by priests in the Catholic church. These abuses, known within the church, were not reported to the police. The RCC has a organizational structure with orders from the top. These top officials of the Catholic church made a decision to protect the church's image rather than that which the church is supposed to be about. Much like the cover up from the top at Penn State. Case closed.

Last edited by jojajn; 07-23-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies