Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,244,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not true. Here's some stats for you:
Most Workers Do Not Review 401(k)-Related Education Materials
• More than half (52 percent) say they don’t have the time, interest or knowledge to manage their 401(k) portfolio properly.
• Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) spend less than eight hours per year managing their 401(k) plan account.
• Many (56 percent) do not review plan-related education materials they receive.
• Nearly one-third don’t know that they pay fees for their 401(k) plan. Of the 70 percent that understand they pay some sort of fees, 95 percent don’t know about investment fund operating expenses and 67 percent don’t know about plan administration fees.
• [A significant majority (83 percent) say they are interested in receiving professional investment management from their employer. However, this interest does not translate into action; Schwab data shows just one in 10 participants takes advantage of 401(k) investment management advice when it is offered.
Your post sums it up well. So few take a few moments to try and control their destiny, their fate. They prefer to leave it up to others, worse still politicians. Politicians are professional liars by any other name. People trust their future to such scum???
The answer is simple as to why. People like to have someone else to blame. people want someone else to make the hard decisions for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 PM

30,905 posts, read 37,014,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So the proper behavior is to fear the government and Trust in ENRON or Mortgage Backed Secutities?
As if these are the only 2 options available?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As if these are the only 2 options available?
LOL I thought the same thing.
No option of doing a little of your own research? Option hiring an investment advisor? Option putting money into CD's? Option investing in your own future?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I guess that's not news, but it's a shame that our medical system is set up to just allow the poorer folks die
I think this was an unfair comment in an otherwise well balanced post. It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Most of the poor people in the US live unhealthy lifestyles as well. We are finding out that all the drugs and medical treatments in the world can't make up for unhealthy lifestyles.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Isn't it ironic that the generation that had it easier than any other generation in this nation's history, has nothing to show for it at the end. Sad....
We had it easier?
How?
Double digit inflation, no real retirement plans until the 401 k was finally given to other than executives:
When Did 401k Start | Bloglines Answers
401(k) Frequently Asked Questions

The end of the steel industry and manufacturing in the US.
Outsourcing jobs.
Oh yeah, trickle down.
The banking debacle.
The housing bubble.
The IT bubble.
The S&L destruction and bail-outs on our backs.

I don't know what cloud you're living on, but it's pretty far from reality.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As far as corporations not teaching their employees about finance, all that is really required is some third grade math. Income $80,000 a year -- and then income $0 a year (unless you will be in the group that will still be given social security, then add that to the $0). And it's not difficult to do the math, if you have to come up with property tax, payments for your RV and other travel costs, food, gas, utilities.
Eh, I think that comment is a little unfair. A lot of people really don't know the difference between a stock and a bond, etc. They are more educated about how to buy a car or a computer than they are in basic investments (because they watch too much TV). Basic financial education in the schools could help with this a lot. Most people really do not understand the power of compounding unless they are taught.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Did I say "everyone can"? No. Not everyone, but almost all able bodied adults can acquire the skills needed. But nice try at changing my words.

You really like to twist words, don't you. Nobody said "everyone has the same abilities and skills" nor did I even imply that they do. For example, you have an exceptional skill at twisting words that people post and developing faulty associations. Only a fool would say "everyone has the same abilities and skills." Is that what you are saying?

Nice try, but I'll stick with my original post.

Almost everyone in America can save for retirement by living within their means. Sounds like we've struck a raw nerve on this topic... you must be one of those people who spends more than they make and expects the Nanny State to take care of you.
Yes you did imply that in your posts.
Oh, you can do it so what's their problem?
It's both condescending and incorrect.

I could retire today if I like. I have always saved but I'm very aware that I'm in the minority.
I chose not to breed and have minimal wants.
Didn't bother reading my posts, eh?
Just knee jerk when called on your holier than thou attitude.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Eh, I think that comment is a little unfair. A lot of people really don't know the difference between a stock and a bond, etc. They are more educated about how to buy a car or a computer than they are in basic investments (because they watch too much TV). Basic financial education in the schools could help with this a lot. Most people really do not understand the power of compounding unless they are taught.
The truth is that the financial markets are a pretty big scam that largely benefits insiders.

I have my money in a 401K only because of my employer match and the tax benefit.

Just take a look at all the fees you are getting soaked for to pay some clown with a BMW to simply manage the fund...when most of them perform below the basic index in their classes. You have to pay a managment fee for that "expertise"?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,883,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We had it easier?
How?
Double digit inflation, no real retirement plans until the 401 k was finally given to other than executives:
When Did 401k Start | Bloglines Answers
401(k) Frequently Asked Questions

The end of the steel industry and manufacturing in the US.
Outsourcing jobs.
Oh yeah, trickle down.
The banking debacle.
The housing bubble.
The IT bubble.
The S&L destruction and bail-outs on our backs.

I don't know what cloud you're living on, but it's pretty far from reality.

High interest on savings accounts
Unmatched job security
No multicultural bs (they were responsible for that suicidal move)
Dirt cheap housing

What do you have to show for it? The greatest generation handed you everything on a silver platter and you f'ed it up. You were too bust smoking weed and being a hippy. You had the cheapest housing ever with the greatest price appreciation. You had pensions. Abundant, well paying jobs many not requiring college. And now the boomers collectively as a whole have nothing to show for it.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes you did imply that in your posts.
Oh, you can do it so what's their problem?
It's both condescending and incorrect.

I could retire today if I like. I have always saved but I'm very aware that I'm in the minority.
I chose not to breed and have minimal wants.
Didn't bother reading my posts, eh?
Just knee jerk when called on your holier than thou attitude.
But see Chiel that is the point. You took control of your life. You chose to control your future at least to the extent that you could. I did the same. I like you understand that there is more to a quality of life than wide screen TV's or video games. We took control of our futures.
Most people sit around complaining while taking no active role. To live that way is unthinkable to me.
I bought gold when it was $500 an ounce. How did I do this? Because I didn't wait until I was 49 to start worrying about retirement. I started saving when I was dirt poor. One thing I learned from growing up on a small farm is to to it myself. We couldnt afford mechanics, painters, fence builders, or carpenders. I learned that no one cared if I lived or died. I had to do that myself.
Independence and freedom go hand in hand. It amazes me how many choose to be slave to a government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies