Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM

32,820 posts, read 19,516,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh really? Got a source?
your the one who said it did...you got a source????..

what makes you think a min wage worker cant invest....you havew a source???

silly statement you make

more excuses from a person who wont try in life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok YOU applied for a job,,,didnt you REASAERCH what the job entailed/ or what the PAY and bennies were??

YOU were hired, I am SURE they talked about your compensation (pay and bennies)

to say otherwise... I question your integrity

??? I had never heard of any benefits offered with menial (literal) burger-flipping jobs, so I had always assumed benefits were nonexistent. It was always start at minimum wage, nothing to negotiate. Is that why older applicants don't get hhired for these jobs?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
your the one who said it did...you got a source????..

what makes you think a min wage worker cant invest....you havew a source???

silly statement you make

more excuses from a person who wont try in life

Everything I've read suggests that minimum wage workers generally do not have an IRA. those who are subsidy kids - who aren't actually living on min wage - may be saving, but probably for shorter-term goals like going to school.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
??? I had never heard of any benefits offered with menial (literal) burger-flipping jobs, so I had always assumed benefits were nonexistent. It was always start at minimum wage, nothing to negotiate. Is that why older applicants don't get hhired for these jobs?
really.... my first job back in 1979 was with White Castle, and they offered sick days, profit sharing etc...and a wage ABOVE min wage (at the time)

I call your malarky

Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
To some extent making my point...

SWR = Safe Withdrawal Rate

You got FPL correct.

I assure you that I didn't intend the numbers to be taken literally. The point is that take much more than discipline to successfully save for retirement.

It may depend on how old you are. Like I said before, I'm irrelevant. The next generation; they're still facing these issues.

Or are victims of changes in society that has resulted in a doubling of economic inequality in a generation. The latter is a major contributor that I suppose people like you want to just ignore, preferring to scapegoat the less fortunate for their own problems.

More and more every year. "Hurrah!" says those who benefit from the changes.
The biggest issue facing the younger generation(s) is the fact that we have to pay for the boomers retirement and health insurance while paying for our own and our own education. We can still move. We can still emigrate. If I was in a bad position and had no way out I would go to Australia and go to trade school. Their tradies make $$$$$, the country has almost no debt, they just found a huge oil reserve, etc. I might end up moving there anyway, but the cost of living even if you make $100K is still very high.

Somebody that has $100K school loan debt and is only working fast food should look into moving to Australia. Many won't though. I'm not in that position.

I'm not ignoring the growth of inequality in the US. I don't think it is a good thing nor do I benefit from it. Inequality growth is occurring worldwide though, so it isn't really an American thing. However. to say or to imply that the working poor are victims of someone else's actions is just not accurate.

A fast food worker is someone I think of when I hear the term "working poor". Have you ever been to fast food joints? The workers are not premium quality. IMO they get paid too much for their qualifications and service quality, but that is why I don't go there. If I want a burger I go to a restaurant because I know for a fact that I can get fast quality service and good food.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
Quote:
really.... my first job back in 1979 was with White Castle, and they offered sick days, profit sharing etc...and a wage ABOVE min wage (at the time)

I call your malarky

1979?

are you missing part of your brain?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Everything I've read suggests that minimum wage workers generally do not have an IRA. those who are subsidy kids - who aren't actually living on min wage - may be saving, but probably for shorter-term goals like going to school.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
I'm ineligible for grants, student loans, etc. And do tell me, how much exactly do people save when they have poverty-level incomes? This ought to be good.
Quote:
Let's say that all you lack is money. Can you adapt then?
many posters to including myself and one Mod, have given you many, many suggestions and avenues of approach for fixing and helping your situation......

but all you do is give excuses of why you cant....

many have suggested the library.....but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suggested job shaddowing...but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suugested grants, loans, etc....you have an exuses of why you cant

all you want to do is blame someone to include your parents, but you never look in the mirror

your 50+ years old man...get with the program

but you will have an excuse...you even bragg about how you are on you way to a 2/3 SS pension and are stealing from the government by working off the books

https://www.city-data.com/forum/28136761-post187.html

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I'm on track to get $900 a month from Social Security. Take that away and I'm in deep doo doo. Poor grandpa, that will be me in a few years.b

What's that you say, I should have saved for retirement? How much do you realistically expect people to save on a $15K income?
Quote:
so let's see if I get this straight

your 50 something...and supposedly UNSKILLED (at 50...really?????)

you settle for a 15k a year job

save NOTHING

and then plan on getting a 2/3 pension when you retire (900/month is over 10k a year )

btw your contributions to ss 6%...6% of 15k is 900 A YEAR

so you think it good that you contribut 900 a year (and your employeer matches it) for you to get 900/month????? how liberal of you

Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
1979?

are you missing part of your brain?
huh

he stated ""HE NEVER HEARD OF BENNIES with burger flipper jobs"""

my first job at age 16 (in 1979) was with white castle...and they had a bennie package

Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
Minimum wage / poverty level income / student loan payments stop a lot of people from having an IRA.
A heavy alcohol hobby can have that effect too. There isn't anything actually stopping anyone from having an IRA. There usually aren't min amounts to invest aside from the initial $500.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The old adage says, "Pay yourself first". If you don't like what the employer is offering, nothing is stopping you from having an IRA.
Why shouldn't I prefer both a great 401(k) and an IRA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Even then it would take far more than just discipline.' This just 1 reason some will always be losers and have NOTHING but excuses.
What an inane reply. There is a difference between preferring something better and an "excuse". Get a grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The biggest issue facing the younger generation(s) is the fact that we have to pay for the boomers retirement and health insurance while paying for our own and our own education.
Precisely. Something beyond their control that we have an obligation to work to make better for them.

Quote:
Somebody that has $100K school loan debt and is only working fast food should look into moving to Australia.
But their families are here. Their moral support is here. The people that the can go to lean on when some tragedy strikes are here. That comment makes sense only if money is all there is to life. In the context of a full life, its bad advice - the wrong thing to do.

Quote:
I'm not ignoring the growth of inequality in the US. I don't think it is a good thing nor do I benefit from it. Inequality growth is occurring worldwide though, so it isn't really an American thing. However. to say or to imply that the working poor are victims of someone else's actions is just not accurate.
You just admitted it at the top of the message: The younger generation's working poor are absolutely victims of we boomers mortgaging the future.

Quote:
A fast food worker is someone I think of when I hear the term "working poor". Have you ever been to fast food joints? The workers are not premium quality.
My step sister is a receptionist. She's working poor. Are you saying my sister isn't "premium quality"? If so: Who the heck do you think you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies