Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's not the choice you're offering though; you're offering being fed with no family versus not being fed with family. And the point is that that's a horrible choice to offer.
Sometimes life presents us with poor choices. Do you think illegal immigrants want to be here with no family? Do you think they want to be caught crossing the border after visiting their family?

Quote:
Of course it does. It has to do with how we're still making things worse, and how we're not doing enough to mitigate the damage we've done.
My point was the damage has already been done. FICA + medicare taxes are 15.3% plus real estate income is being taxed an additional 3.8% and we have to raise it plus cut benefits in order to retain solvency. When those taxes go up people will be in worse shape.

Boomers won't let that happen. "No tax increase" "get your hands off my medicare"

Quote:
My sister doesn't. And don't climb back on the high horse presuming to know her life, presuming to declare from up-on-high that there are better jobs available (she actually looks for better jobs), that she could get more education (she works at it whenever she can afford to), etc. There are real, structural problems with our economy. Stop insinuating that they don't exist.
I never said they don't exist and I didn't bring your sister into this. The average salary for a secretary is $32K, that isn't working poor to me. Computers decimated the secretary field quite some time ago and those days aren't coming back. We have only a handful of secretaries where I work. Each secretary works for 3 people. They aren't working poor though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Sometimes life presents us with poor choices.
Which should prompt us to do better.

Quote:
Do you think illegal immigrants want to be here with no family? Do you think they want to be caught crossing the border after visiting their family?
Ice cream has no bones.

(I'm not talking about immigration in this thread. My sister was born here, as was her mother, and her mother, etc.)

Quote:
My point was the damage has already been done.
And so now we need to safeguard those least fortunate against the negative effects of the existing damage, fix the damage, and prevent more damage going forward.

Quote:
Boomers won't let that happen.

Quote:
I never said they don't exist and I didn't bring your sister into this.
I did. You made a comment about fast food workers, labeling them, "not premium quality". Given that they're no better or worse off than my sister, I brought my sister into the discussion.

Quote:
The average salary for a secretary is $32K, that isn't working poor to me.
I said she was a receptionist. I haven't asked her her salary, but I see comparable jobs listed for $15k per year. Working poor.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Which should prompt us to do better.

Ice cream has no bones.

(I'm not talking about immigration in this thread. My sister was born here, as was her mother, and her mother, etc.)
So what? Mexicans are born in Mexico. We are not better simply because we are American. The only difference is opportunities that are available not life decisions. Mexicans are not the only people that switch countries.

Quote:
And so now we need to safeguard those least fortunate against the negative effects of the existing damage, fix the damage, and prevent more damage going forward.
I'm not in disagreement.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the boomers are the largest voting block. Medicare part B was the largest unfunded spending increase that I'm aware of. If a politician ran on eliminating that program he would not win without boomer support. Sooner or later a politician will raise the taxes but not decrease the benefits.

Quote:
I did. You made a comment about fast food workers, labeling them, "not premium quality". Given that they're no better or worse off than my sister, I brought my sister into the discussion.

I said she was a receptionist. I haven't asked her her salary, but I see comparable jobs listed for $15k per year. Working poor.
I stand by my comment. Fast food workers all pretty much make the same wage and they are not premium quality. Most people of value either move up or out of the fast food business. One of my classmates is an assistant mgr at one; the job isn't rocket science. Computers lowered the demand while not decreasing the supply of secretaries. Technology, on the other hand hasn't really impacted fast food.

Secretary positions range from slightly above min wage to $70K, but the same goes for nursing.

Last edited by lycos679; 04-26-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What were they doing all their lives? I had more than that saved up in my 20s.

Flipping burgers, deliveriing pizzas, doing drone office work, serving Slurpees (TM).

Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
I stand by my comment. Fast food workers all pretty much make the same wage and they are not premium quality. Most people of value either move up or out of the fast food business. One of my classmates is an assistant mgr at one; the job isn't rocket science. Computers lowered the demand while not decreasing the supply of secretaries. Technology, on the other hand hasn't really impacted fast food.

Secretary positions range from slightly above min wage to $70K, but the same goes for nursing.
You are spot on, and the reality is for the most part, McD's and company do not automate because the labor is inexpensive enough to make the ROI on automated equipment not worth doing, whereas the secretary cost enough (especially since almost all of them get Health Insurance) to make the ROI on reducing those positions a financially worthwhile task.

Very few corps will auotmate anything if they do not save at least as much in 2 years or less than the investment cost incurred.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
A heavy alcohol hobby can have that effect too. There isn't anything actually stopping anyone from having an IRA. There usually aren't min amounts to invest aside from the initial $500.

I had $4,000 by the time I greaduated hs in the early 1970s (like $20k today) and i blew it all on college.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I had $4,000 by the time I greaduated hs in the early 1970s (like $20k today) and i blew it all on college.
How to Get Ahead on Minimum Wage - My Money (usnews.com)

Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For most people that would have been a wise investment. You know what an anomaly is right? how about deviation from the norm? My master's program is close to $75K.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Imagine how much money they could save up pretty fast if they didn't buy iPhones and unlimited data and text messaging plans, and if they gave up cable television and every meal out.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Imagine how much money they could save up pretty fast if they didn't buy iPhones and unlimited data and text messaging plans, and if they gave up cable television and every meal out.

Add in when you find a zip code with low median incomes, you have found a zip code that buys far more than its per capita share of lottery tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies