Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, perhaps because it is a big deal. Reporting on the celebrity condolences or interrupting morning television to broadcast the opening hearing is ridiculous, but this event is tragic and deserves the coverage.
People love to slow down to look at an accident. Does that make it right to impede traffic?
The media love events like this. They pretend shock and horror and beat the topic to death. Why did the media during Katrina focus on a black woman saying that looters were only taking what they are owed?
Why did they beat a dead horse about crime during Katrina?
The media loves crime and the media loves shock. In Reality crime was pretty mild compared to the reporting.
Main stream media needs to be taken to task for their practices...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
I agree with the OP. The media is partly responsible for creating these fame-seeking monsters.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Infamous. Because people want to know about it. If you ignore it that doesn't mean it will go away.
Exactly. I'm surprised someone would wonder why the news media is covering the news.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Gotta give him his fame and celebrity, so that the virus can be spread, ensuring a continued supply of mass-murders. Job security for future generations of 'journalists.'

Old 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Gotta give him his fame and celebrity, so that the virus can be spread, ensuring a continued supply of mass-murders. Job security for future generations of 'journalists.'
Good lord. I can't believe some people are this cynical. What a miserable way to go through life.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM

The Seattle Times used to have a policy of never reporting the names of gangs in stories about gang-related crimes. The thinking was that the gangs feed off of seeing their names in the papers, and why feed them? It was a rare case of responsible policy from the MSM.

I'm not sure, but I think the policy has been dropped in this age of struggling daily newspapers, and the need to boost sales by any means possible.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good lord. I can't believe some people are this cynical. What a miserable way to go through life.
Calm down, a little hyperbole there. But I do think is a huge mistake to make these guys into huge celebs. After all that is probably exactly what some of them seek. Why reward them?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I agree 100%, OP. I feel furious sitting here watching him with his dyed hair and he's so unconcerned with that he did he's practically nodding off the entire time. How disrespectful. He shouldn't get one drop of media coverage. He deserves nothing but a swift kick to the after life. People do things like this for the fame and celebrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies