Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I predict that will never fly...

California should clean up its act...there's only so much blood to be gotten from a stone.
Really? I think it's just self-destructive enough, and a large enough assault on liberty to gain overwhelming support by that group on the left that never saw a government regulation or tax they didn't find attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Do they think people are just joy-riding?
Way to punish people who drive a lot
of miles in their business activities.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Really? I think it's just self-destructive enough, and a large enough assault on liberty to gain overwhelming support by that group on the left that never saw a government regulation or tax they didn't find attractive.
Well, I think you think wrong.

Partisan hyperbole ... sick of it.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Officials approve study of SF Bay area mileage tax - San Jose Mercury News

This is an interesting idea being floated by some local officials. It is currently in the larval stage, but I can envision the day when roads are partially paid for this way, with advancements in technology. There are both economic and social ramifications, of course.

"Under a proposal still in its early stages, drivers could be required to install GPS-like odometers or other devices in their vehicles and pay from less than a penny to as much as a dime for every mile driven. The idea could take a decade or more to be launched.
Commission spokesman Randy Rentschler acknowledged such a concept ultimately could prove a hard sell with Bay Area residents, who would likely resist both the travel tax and the government-mandated tracking devices. "The last thing we're interested in is where you go and what you do," Rentschler said Thursday, after the vote. "What we're trying to do is get people to figure out a way to raise revenue that they could support."
Chipping away at our freedoms a little at a time.

Why not just put a transmitter chip under the skin, that way they could not only track our movements, but also detect the blood alcohol or drug content in our system, to prevent DWIs, and all our medical info could be on it too. It's all about safety.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
But government tyranny is like a warm embrace, that makes us feel safer.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:52 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
ah the liberal brain at work.

I bet there are people on C-D that support this stupidity.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Spend less.
Spending less to a California politician never seems to come up. They found the money for their hi speed train so why do they even need their little global warming vehicles anymore? Let em walk or ride the train. Tear the roads up and plant weed. All will be happy in la la land.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
In some ways it actually makes sense to charge people for how much they use highways. The more you drive, the more wear you put on the roads.

That said, the tax should only cover the cost of maintaining the highway per mile of usage. Not to pad governments' general funds.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
ah the liberal brain at work.

I bet there are people on C-D that support this stupidity.
Can you imagine if Boooosh had wanted to install GPS locators on all cars after 9/11??? Obama can have drones flying around monitoring us from above, and expand the Patriot Act, and detain any citizen for indefinite detention, and the left yawns and goes back to sleep.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times
I feel like using GPS transponders is the wrong approach to the problem. It might make more sense to turn all highways in California in to tollways using wireless transponders. At least then, the data can be anonymized to only charge for how far you go without recording where you go.

And I'd only be in favor in such a scheme if it replaced the gas tax entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies