Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,889 times

Advertisements

Waste management can hire workers at half the cost. The price of garbage wouldn't go down. The price is usually negotiated on a 5 year or more contract with the city or town. If both truck is automated as they say, they all should make the same hourly wage. Waste is getting the better of the deal here. As a collector myself. There is no difference. I done all three... trash, recycle and yard waste. Recycling is usually bigger route with more stops.

It is just more than working a joy stick and pushing buttons. You have to watch for kids running up to your truck. Cars trying to squeeze between tight spaces to get pass you. Cars in your way while working. Overhead wires and trees. Hazard materials. Some truck doesn't have AC. Sweat your arse off in those hot trucks. Sure anybody can be trained to do it. How many people can take the smell of a garbage truck all day. We don't get paid for sick days. Mandatory OT. How about after you dump your truck, you have to climb inside the body of those filthy trucks. Maggots falling on you while you clean trash that have gotten caught behind the packer blade. The smell alone can make you sick. Most people don't know this from looking out their window.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
My garbage truck workers don't even get out to pick up the trash they spill.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Oh, good God.

Just got a robocall from the strikers to them to pay more oney for trash pickup. "Please support us."
Yeah , I support a decent wage. I'm a network engineer. You make more than me, picking up vomit.

No.
Hold up, you're a network admin making less than 80k in Seattle?

Is there a reason for this? It's off topic, but it's something that stuck out to me, since I know someone who's company is desperate for engineers, and I know for a fact they pay more than that just for a junior engineer.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Waste management can hire workers at half the cost. The price of garbage wouldn't go down. The price is usually negotiated on a 5 year or more contract with the city or town. If both truck is automated as they say, they all should make the same hourly wage. Waste is getting the better of the deal here. As a collector myself. There is no difference. I done all three... trash, recycle and yard waste. Recycling is usually bigger route with more stops.

It is just more than working a joy stick and pushing buttons. You have to watch for kids running up to your truck. Cars trying to squeeze between tight spaces to get pass you. Cars in your way while working. Overhead wires and trees. Hazard materials. Some truck doesn't have AC. Sweat your arse off in those hot trucks. Sure anybody can be trained to do it. How many people can take the smell of a garbage truck all day. We don't get paid for sick days. Mandatory OT. How about after you dump your truck, you have to climb inside the body of those filthy trucks. Maggots falling on you while you clean trash that have gotten caught behind the packer blade. The smell alone can make you sick. Most people don't know this from looking out their window.
So the "skills" required for a 90+ thousand a year job include being able to not run over children, drive safely, not knocking down power lines and trees, and being required to make time and a half at an upper middle class rate to drive around town in a vehicle. I can see why this job, which takes about 6 weeks of knowing nothing to having all the necessary qualifications, pays so much money. I mean, that's such a high barrier of entry . This totally makes sense why they're seeking more money than people who have advanced degrees.

The only real job challenge you listed is dealing with the smell, and I would venture a guess that for anywhere near that kind of money, people would buy some gel to put under their noses and deal with it.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:

Basically, it sounds like you just have to be a good driver and have olfactory deficit.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 PM

Great news for Seattle area residents and taxpayers. In response to the illegal strike and the threats from Seattle government to start fining Waste Management unless they basically gave the union everything they wanted and resumed trash pickups, Waste Management announced tonight that they are going to be hiring permanent replacements for the striking drivers who aren't honoring the contracts they signed just a few months ago.

The union screwed up royally this time, and Mike McSchwinn's attempt to kowtow to the union thugs has blown up in his face.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 AM

782 posts, read 3,789,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
So the "skills" required for a 90+ thousand a year job include being able to not run over children, drive safely, not knocking down power lines and trees, and being required to make time and a half at an upper middle class rate to drive around town in a vehicle. I can see why this job, which takes about 6 weeks of knowing nothing to having all the necessary qualifications, pays so much money. I mean, that's such a high barrier of entry . This totally makes sense why they're seeking more money than people who have advanced degrees.

The only real job challenge you listed is dealing with the smell, and I would venture a guess that for anywhere near that kind of money, people would buy some gel to put under their noses and deal with it.
Really is it that much hate for a driver to make $90k a year. I guess you're ok with ceo making millions of dollar a year,as long as he has a college degree. Race to the bottom. Waste profits are good. Why not share with the employees whom help them get to number 1.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Great news for Seattle area residents and taxpayers. In response to the illegal strike and the threats from Seattle government to start fining Waste Management unless they basically gave the union everything they wanted and resumed trash pickups, Waste Management announced tonight that they are going to be hiring permanent replacements for the striking drivers who aren't honoring the contracts they signed just a few months ago.

The union screwed up royally this time, and Mike McSchwinn's attempt to kowtow to the union thugs has blown up in his face.
I wonder what pro-union people are going to respond to that. It reallyh proves that these unions are nothing without government protection.

I totally understand people who want poor union workers to earn more, and hence get stronger unions. However I do not get people who say they care about the poor, but also support making rich union workers even richer.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Camorra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big problem overseas as well.
I'm thinking Camorra know where Jimmy Hoffa's body is.

I've heard New Jersey's trash is quite possibly the #1 most expensive trash on the planet. Whatever it is they're doing, you don't want to do it that way. All the bluster I've heard out of Gov Christie, not one peep out of him over that particular price tag as he squabbles over milk money and lays off cops. I guess cops ought to be waste mgmt of another sort.

Reminds me of an incident on Long Island when the Brookhaven National Lab needed to rid itself of spent nuke material and subcontracted out the job. A 'privatized' yahoo from the south took the gig, dumped the material in a stream 5-10 miles south of the lab, resulting in radioactive deer pooping in a 5-10 mile radius. Who had to clean it up? Cradle to grave laws-- BNL did. But BNL is not privatized, so taxpayers did. This gov't/ commerce interface, this lack of oversight & accountability that 'privatization' has been given license... how's that working out for you?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
They're not easily replaced, that is why they can do it. A garbage truck is more than just picking up a bin. You would have to be trained to operate the truck hydraulics and controls. You can do serious damage with a garbage truck. There has been accidents with trash man dropping anything from a couch on a car or a 300lbs dumpster falling inside the trash hopper. Trashman smashing their own windshield or the front canopy of their truck.
We've got great trash service in my mini city. Very reasonably priced, good paying jobs for them in local economy, and they really do work hard for that money day in day out. The guys riding the back of that truck wind up exposed to all sorts of nasty chemicals reacting in unpredictable ways. I got an earful long ago when I attended HAZMAT recertification classes with them. I always make it a point to wash out my trash cans in summer months and am mindful of toxics needing to be walked to the dump separately. A little kindness goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well....lessee what the boss makes:

David P. Steiner has been the CEO of Waste Management for about a year. His salary and bonuses total just under $2 million a year. In addition, he owns 4.2% of the company's 462 million outstanding shares of stock, which are valued right now at a little over $33 per share.

David P Steiner, CEO of Waste Management (WMI), Earns $2.0 mil

That means his salary, bonuses and stock value comes to....are you ready for it? Something over $600 million. Not bad for a year's work, huh?
I'm wondering what on earth any human being could be doing to justify being paid $288,000 per hour. Rocket science? Nope. Saving democracy for the free world? Nope. Found a cure for cancer? Nope.

If this were a government employee, what would be said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies