Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,341 times

Advertisements

I cant stand propaganda wherever it comes from and today I just heard a classic. Joe Biden gave a speech to the Association of Police Organizations this week and said that the stories of heroism reminded him of the goodness of the American people and why people should be proud to be American???

Those people were heroes, they either helped others or sacrificed themselves for... their friends/family. No doubt about that. But why should that make you proud to be American? Er...what was the nationality of the shooter? Why doesnt that make you ashamed to be an American? Shouldnt Joe have said that too? Doesnt the Sandusky affair make you ashamed to be American? No, because it has NOTHING to do with being American!

You mean to tell me that in every other country in the world every single person would have ignored the plight of their fellowman in that theatre? They would have run out and trampled everybody in their way because they are not American?

No, there are heroes and cowards, saviours and murderers, good people and bad people in every land and a person does not do a heroic or good deed simply because he is of a certain nationality.

And really, wouldnt it be truly sad if that was his/her only motivation...'I did it because I'm an American' and not because, 'I wanted to help my fellowman in a tragic circumstance'.

I like Joe Biden. He seems to be a good family guy in touch with the common man. But c'mon Joe, be proud of the individuals who did a great thing, not because they were Americans, but because they, like many people all over the world, found an inner strength and courage to put themselves in danger of their lives, to help others. That to me shows hope, for humankind, not just America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
I agree with you about Joe Biden being touched, but these are politicians speaking that are trying to get elected.
He wants to gather favor by kissing some voter butt is all.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
Proud to be an American? Not these days. This is not the America most of us grew up loving. This is obama's Amerika and full of hatred from our leaders.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
I cant stand propaganda wherever it comes from and today I just heard a classic. Joe Biden gave a speech to the Association of Police Organizations this week and said that the stories of heroism reminded him of the goodness of the American people and why people should be proud to be American???

Those people were heroes, they either helped others or sacrificed themselves for... their friends/family. No doubt about that. But why should that make you proud to be American? Er...what was the nationality of the shooter? Why doesnt that make you ashamed to be an American? Shouldnt Joe have said that too? Doesnt the Sandusky affair make you ashamed to be American? No, because it has NOTHING to do with being American!

You mean to tell me that in every other country in the world every single person would have ignored the plight of their fellowman in that theatre? They would have run out and trampled everybody in their way because they are not American?

No, there are heroes and cowards, saviours and murderers, good people and bad people in every land and a person does not do a heroic or good deed simply because he is of a certain nationality.

And really, wouldnt it be truly sad if that was his/her only motivation...'I did it because I'm an American' and not because, 'I wanted to help my fellowman in a tragic circumstance'.

I like Joe Biden. He seems to be a good family guy in touch with the common man. But c'mon Joe, be proud of the individuals who did a great thing, not because they were Americans, but because they, like many people all over the world, found an inner strength and courage to put themselves in danger of their lives, to help others. That to me shows hope, for humankind, not just America.
Very well put.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM

156 posts, read 195,643 times
No. The word 'American' feels soaked in shame & guilt & squandered potential.

Modern America is in a transition from the old capitalist, consumption-based theocratic-leaning majority-rule society to a corporatist, government-heavy (hopefully) benign totalitarian 'idiocracy', where regulation backed-up by emotional sentiment is used to control people. A citizenry that feels accepted at whatever cost will be the goal and anything viewed as detrimental to clean health, upright-seeming political dictums, simple opinions and timely bill-paying will be looked upon as un-needed. Profit will still be lord but the income disparity and affluence gap will purposely be further entrenched and widened accordingly. There is nothing really anyone can do about it. Unity will be attempted through commiseration and criminal penalty for those who will not accede to governmental authority, a state entity that is already supported (controlled) by those who manipulate the services and own the resources. The pigeons who occupy the seats of power will still gurgle-up nonsense and opiate the folks who need to hear that endless blather from the towers to feel something if not simply anything that will cause a beloved distraction. I won't even get into the fiscal dramas ahead aside from that that is what will hammer the last nail in.

No, there really is nothing to be proud of about today's America. A sensible evolution into something other than a neo-fascist state full of social dictates, constant surveillance and paranoiac fantasies from topics as diverse as health to terror plots to fraudulent taxation is seen as something sort of puny & sad & archaic to most these days. But to each their own and so be it if revenge feels better to so many in a society than actually caring about what it is they have been incessantly informed they should care about.

Yet, the malls will probably stay open...

Last edited by Frankums; 07-25-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Biden the same pablum spewing ruling class boob who spouted it's patriotic to pay higher taxes.
Hang em high.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Biden the same pablum spewing ruling class boob who spouted it's patriotic to pay higher taxes.
Hang em high.
Talk of lynching people makes me proud to be an American...

Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 AM

27 posts, read 21,003 times
Quote:

Jesus... Can't we be proud of this America that our fathers, grandfathers, mothers, great uncles worked their entire lives to build and support? I have relatives who fought for this country from Normandy to the Pacific going all the way back to Washington's army during the Revolution. As an American actively supporting -America-, yes I can be proud of my fellow Americans.

And yes, historically Americans HAVE been a different sort of person. We are STILL a different people compared to the world in the degree of individualism, self-sufficiency and we provide the promise of social mobility for more poor immigrants than any other nation on earth.

We all work and contribute towards the success of the country.

Yes I feel shame for my country when I hear stories about Sandusky or Holmes, but how the HECK do these two d*cks outweigh the good things in a country of 300 million people?

Yes people were lynched 60 years ago, but can't we balance this with the knowledge that American medical and agricultural advances of the past century have allowed millions in Africa and Asia to even exist without starving or dying of disease. Instead of becoming Soviet/Chinese satellites American power and military might also allowed large parts of Europe and Asia to exist as free societies in the decades after WWII.

Despite the endless hammering America gets in the internet media age this country is still a net massive net positive for humanity. That's not to say everything is perfect, but the nihilistic self-flagellation most modern liberals seem to enjoy is TIRESOME.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:17 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Talk of lynching people makes me proud to be an American...
And let`s not forget Frank`s greed and selfish attitude.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,445,643 times
Quote:
Lordy, Lordy...

It is nice to see there are still people perfectly capable of recognizing one nice piece of propaganda when they see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies