Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 AM

101 posts, read 353,492 times

Advertisements

Example: I went to McDonalds in Queens NYC yesterday and the man behind the counter spoke very little English and could not understand my order, which was very simple. It took us too long to get him to understand. He had the same problem with the rest of the customers behind us and the line grew longer and longer but no one else came out to help. Finally, we noticed that the people in line got frustrated and started to leave. A loss to productivity and revenue and frustration for everyone else. In NYC I see so many examples of people with very little understanding of English being put in customer service jobs and everyone getting frustrated and less getting done in a timely manner. This rarely happens in my hometown of Erie PA.

Last edited by Jobless and Broke; 08-09-2012 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Have you looked at the 2010 US Census? In cities all over America the number of people living in America who don't speak English well and who are ESL is at a 100 year high. When we look at our economy and the complexity of living in 21st Century America I wonder what impact the ever decreasing English speaking residents have on our competitiveness.

I know here in New York City it seems like half the people I interact with in public do not speak English well. Many of these people are working in jobs in retail, customer service and other serving the public positions. Even if they know some English there is a challenge communicating with them and a breakdown in understanding because of cultural and social problems. Back in my old hometown of Erie PA where 95% spoke English it was just so much easier to get things done in business.

So... do you feel that the large number of people in America who don't speak English well is a major player in our economic competitiveness?
Well, I have to tell you a little story. After 5 years of travelling all over the USA from the west to the east and from the north to the south I was able to come up with some conclusions.

The people who don't speak English or speak very little English do almost all the work in the country. If it's hard work, dirty work, heavy work, low paid work, nasty work, exploited work, farm work, roofing work, landscaping work and a whole lot more totally necessary work the people who don't speak English are doing it.

Now, you go into areas where everyone speaks English like Appalachia and you know who is doing the work there? No one is doing any work. The towns are a mess, the houses are a mess. There is garbage and crap laying around everywhere. Kids have no food or decent clothing. If you brought some of those non English speaking people there, you know what????? They would find some work to do, guaranteed.

So, your conclusion about the economic effects of the non English speakers is dead wrong. If it were not for them the country would come to a grinding halt. Why do you think the entire apparatus of the USA has encouraged these illegals to come to the USA for over 50 freakin years???????

You had better get the English speaking people on the ball there or you will find these non English speakers will in 2 generations take over completely because they are the ones who know how to work and to sacrifice for their families. I know lots of these people and their work ethics and family values put most of us Anglos to shame.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, I have to tell you a little story. After 5 years of travelling all over the USA from the west to the east and from the north to the south I was able to come up with some conclusions.

The people who don't speak English or speak very little English do almost all the work in the country. If it's hard work, dirty work, heavy work, low paid work, nasty work, exploited work, farm work, roofing work, landscaping work and a whole lot more totally necessary work the people who don't speak English are doing it.

Now, you go into areas where everyone speaks English like Appalachia and you know who is doing the work there? No one is doing any work. The towns are a mess, the houses are a mess. There is garbage and crap laying around everywhere. Kids have no food or decent clothing. If you brought some of those non English speaking people there, you know what????? They would find some work to do, guaranteed.

So, your conclusion about the economic effects of the non English speakers is dead wrong. If it were not for them the country would come to a grinding halt. Why do you think the entire apparatus of the USA has encouraged these illegals to come to the USA for over 50 freakin years???????

You had better get the English speaking people on the ball there or you will find these non English speakers will in 2 generations take over completely because they are the ones who know how to work and to sacrifice for their families. I know lots of these people and their work ethics and family values put most of us Anglos to shame.
What absolute nonsense!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Example: I went to McDonalds in Queens NYC yesterday and the man behind the counter spoke very little English and could not understand my order, which was very simple. It took us too long to get him to understand. He had the same problem with the rest of the customers behind us and the line grew longer and longer but no one else came out to help. Finally, we noticed that the people in line got frustrated and started to leave. A loss to productivity and revenue and frustration for everyone else. In NYC I see so many examples of people with very little understanding of English being put in customer service jobs and everyone getting frustrated and less getting done in a timely manner. This rarely happens in my hometown of Erie PA.
And did anyone in that line think to ask for the manager and tell that to the manager ?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What absolute nonsense!
You just keep on thinking that as the USA continues to sprial down faster and faster.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,670 times
China has a lot of people that don't speak English either and they are doing just fine. Just sayin' . . .

Old 08-09-2012, 10:47 AM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
You just keep on thinking that as the USA continues to sprial down faster and faster.
The USA is spirallying down because of illegal immigrants. You might try learning the facts.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,728,425 times
Quote:
Have you looked at the 2010 US Census? In cities all over America the number of people living in America who don't speak English well and who are ESL is at a 100 year high. When we look at our economy and the complexity of living in 21st Century America I wonder what impact the ever decreasing English speaking residents have on our competitiveness.

I know here in New York City it seems like half the people I interact with in public do not speak English well. Many of these people are working in jobs in retail, customer service and other serving the public positions. Even if they know some English there is a challenge communicating with them and a breakdown in understanding because of cultural and social problems. Back in my old hometown of Erie PA where 95% spoke English it was just so much easier to get things done in business.

So... do you feel that the large number of people in America who don't speak English well is a major player in our economic competitiveness?

etf hjth jomfds bnmxz crap on the demezee, whrpft gloten grispen!!! get my drifeeed me nots and go toooa schoola..

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,117 times
Quote:

L

LOL... Sure.

They work so hard don't they, just look at where they came from.. That will show you how hard they work...

They are working hard at turning this country into a 3rd world country sh*thole.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:31 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,242 times
Quote:

Truly hardworking people don't voluntarily move to another place and refuse to learn that country's language. Non-English speakers who live in American are lazy and arrogant. They refuse to take the time to learn English and they expect Americans to either learn another language to accomodate their needs or pay for interpreters. I'm sick of running into people like that on a routine basis. They should all be fined, jailed and deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies