Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I cook with flames and have elements in my home that could combust so I'm ok with smoke alarms, although they have gone off many times when the kitchen got smokey, lot's of false alarms. Annoying but no guns were fired.

The logic is more like "that's why I don't keep rattle snake anti venom in my fridge". I mean, there is always a chance I could get bit by one but considering the odds I don't think about it, even when seconds count.
Yes, the incidents of rattlesnake bites and gun crime are probably even in the U.S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I wonder how the species ever survived before there were fire arms. Any chance your obsession with fire arms has left all other muscles, including your brain, utterly flabby?

It's a noble thing in men I adore in my brothers in arms and civilians of every stripe- the instinct of defending what they love. I loathe how that's been exploited so reliably by a slew of malevolent salesmen infiltrating the government to peddle wars. I loathe the adonis weight lifting industry yielding pretty boys stuck on themselves. I loathe the gangsters and the banksters equally. I loathe false religious using men as catspaws to do their evil bidding for them. I loathe the NRA for the exact same reasons.

I support, defend, and uphold the 2nd amendment right. It's my right to shoot the NRA, and the whole herd of malevolence peddling above, in defense of myself and my country. Have a nice day.

Ummm, are you off your meds today?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Funny how in europe most people don't have guns to protect themselves and the murder rates aren't even close to ours .
Re-read your post and consider the obvious flaw in your logic...

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
You have small children, middle of the night, your home is invaded, still against guns?

Alert "invader" with his edge over sleepy father, easily takes gun from him. Gets pissed off, shoots wife and pistol whips children.

This is the likely scenario. The father would need courage, quick thinking and conviction to do anything about the invader(s), attributes not common in complacent suburban America.

Guns are for cowards, if you want to protect your family, get fit, get trained, rig your home, practice waking and responding quickly and you might have a chance. But the safer option is to leave the invader alone and let him take your stuff.

Wait, or are we talking about invading Turks from the 16th century?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Yes, the incidents of rattlesnake bites and gun crime are probably even in the U.S.

My kids are much more likely to encounter a rattlesnake than a gun. In fact, it's relatively common to see rattlesnakes around here. But unlike the prairie rattlers that occasionally make their way into our yard, we've never found a gun lying in the grass outside our back door, nor has a thug shown up at our front door brandishing one. Just sayin'.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
You have small children, middle of the night, your home is invaded, still against guns?

Alert "invader" with his edge over sleepy father, easily takes gun from him. Gets pissed off, shoots wife and pistol whips children.

This is the likely scenario. The father would need courage, quick thinking and conviction to do anything about the invader(s), attributes not common in complacent suburban America.

Guns are for cowards, if you want to protect your family, get fit, get trained, rig your home, practice waking and responding quickly and you might have a chance. But the safer option is to leave the invader alone and let him take your stuff.

Wait, or are we talking about invading Turks from the 16th century?
How does "alert invader" get close enough to ANYONE pointing a Steyr SPP at their forehead to take said weapon away?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,671 times
Quote:
You are anti-gun, there are several small kids in your home, in the middle of the night five or six robbers burst into your home.

You call 911 but it will be 15 minutes until the police arrive.

Now what do you think of "only the police and army should have guns"?
I am far from being anti-gun, I keep 2 loaded in my cash box but I also know how to use just about anything around me in such a situation and I am militery trained as well as parent trained but my wife hates guns but she can use then but she doesn't know how to use just about anything for a weapon while my kids do. 911 is a joke.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Quote:
You are anti-gun, there are several small kids in your home, in the middle of the night five or six robbers burst into your home.

You call 911 but it will be 15 minutes until the police arrive.

Now what do you think of "only the police and army should have guns"?
How likely is that scenario? Why would 5 or 6 robbers burst into your house in the middle of the night? If that many "robbers" are bursting into your house what do you have? Drugs? a personal vault full of cash that somebody knows about?

This has nothing to do with being anti-gun but being paranoid. Outside of the military, cops or people who are professionaly trained most people who shoot others are most likely somebody who they know personally.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM

19,016 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Never defend against six assailants with a five shot revolver !

Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Just wanted to say I have a small child (and a medium child lol, he's 10) and if my home was invaded, I as a gun owner, who has been the range and knows how to shoot, would immediately gather up my kids and lock us in a room (I'd take my gun, I actually do keep it in my bedroom and it is loaded but is in a case that is only accessible with fingerprint identification technology) with my gun and my cell phone and tell the kids to be quiet while I called the police.

That is how you survive a home invasion.

FWIW, home invasions are reported about quite often in our metro area, but I live in "da hood" and they don't happen where I live, only in the burbs where criminals tail wealthy people and go torture them. I don't fear home invasions. But I was told to do the above by my office complex if our office is stormed by someone trying to do a workplace mass shooting (we have training on this, something like this has happened in our metro more than once - people shooting up their workplace and FWIW we have some of the most liberal open carry laws in the country here). We were told we should barracade ourselves into a room that can be locked and block the door with heavy furniture and hide behind furniture to dodge bullets in case something like this occurs.

I wouldn't attempt to confront 5-6 gunmen in my house. Odds are all 5-6 have guns and I only have one gun and even if I had more than one, me with my two hands holding two guns would be less than 5-6 invaders each holding one gun. I would never put my or my kids' lives in danger trying to gun down invaders. I'd let them take any material items they want and wouldn't care. Many of you spoke of insurance, I have very good home insurance and would get a hefty check for any stuff that was stolen or destroyed by invaders while I was safe in a room on the phone with 911 with my kids.

A story recently was on the news here where two guys broke into a house and a 10 year old was home by himself and when he heard the window break, he grabbed the phone, hid under a bed and called 911. The robbers didn't know he was there and due to his quick thinking and not trying to engage criminals, he was okay and was hailed as a hero as the thieves were actually caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies