Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 01:29 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, you're the second person today that i p*ssed off because they didn't get my sarcasm. I must be having a bad sarcasm day or something. LOL

Actually, the funny thing is, i'm not really being sarcastic....i truly do blame Hollywood (not in a malicious way) for giving people the impression that popping a cap in someone is easy, and for not showing people that there is a real difference between a seasoned street dude and a dude that just owns a gun. I think these posters mean well, but it's SOOOOOO apparent that they've never had an ear to the street and don't understand how these things go down. They don't realize the potential for **** stuff to go very badly should they attempt to take these matters into their own hands.

One of the dead giveaways was when CLB said that he thought that most (or at least many) of these robbers were "cracked out" and nervous. LMAO...anyone that knows the streets knows that those are the worse types of people to run up on when they're desperate. You'd better hope your robber isn't a crackhead. Crackheads have stacked more bodies than a Chinese cemetary. They'll run into your home shooting everything that moves, including kids, granny, the wife, the goldfish, and everything else.

I never said that you shouldn't be armed, all i was saying is that it ain't as easy as these folks seem to think it is. Having a gun isn't a guarantee of anything. Hell, there is a good chance that it'll only make the problem worse if you're not careful.

LOL.

"...anyone that knows the streets..."

Who are you? John Shaft?

LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
And, do you know exactly what a home invasion is? It's not done by stealth, and it's not done while the family is asleep. Home invasion differs from burglary because it has a violent intent like aggravated robbery. It's usually done by more that one perpetrator, it's violent, the perps forcing their way into the home while the occupants are home, usually through the front door. It involves the use of weapons and physical intimidation; property theft; and victims who are unknown to the perpetrators...

home invasion
n. Burglary of a dwelling while the residents are at home.

So, while your above scenario is definitely home invasion as well, it could very easily be "done by stealth" or "done while the family is asleep". It does not have to involve weapons or victims that don't know the perpetrators.

Perhaps your state defines it differently...

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Try living in the Metro Detroit area, you just might change your mind. You see some criminals like to do this thing, called "car jacking" which they do a lot in parking lots. Sad thing is I'm sure most people would just say take the car , including myself but not only do they take your car they will take your life for the $20 in your pocket. Sorry, my gun goes with me everywhere I can possibly carry.
Car jacking or any other crime isn't executed any differently in the Detroit area than it is in any other area. If a guy will kill you for 20 bucks, he's a drugged out fool. No seasoned criminal is gonna risk doing a stretch over 20 bucks. Car jackers just want the car, and they already have the drop on you, so having a gun won't work in most cases. Now if you have your children with you, the best thing to do is to just give up the car and keep it moving. They aren't going to hurt the children regardless. But they will shoot YOU if you try anything.

If you're by yourself, you can just give up the car, and if you have the opportunity, pull it and shoot him once he gets in the car and isn't paying attention. But you're still taking a very big gamble. It's really not worth it. Besides, if he's bleeding all over your car, do you really want it back?

Again, not saying you shouldn't be armed. I'm just saying that it's not the panacea that everyone thinks it is.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM

640 posts, read 717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, you're the second person today that i p*ssed off because they didn't get my sarcasm. I must be having a bad sarcasm day or something. LOL

Actually, the funny thing is, i'm not really being sarcastic....i truly do blame Hollywood (not in a malicious way) for giving people the impression that popping a cap in someone is easy, and for not showing people that there is a real difference between a seasoned street dude and a dude that just owns a gun. I think these posters mean well, but it's SOOOOOO apparent that they've never had an ear to the street and don't understand how these things go down. They don't realize the potential for **** stuff to go very badly should they attempt to take these matters into their own hands.

One of the dead giveaways was when CLB said that he thought that most (or at least many) of these robbers were "cracked out" and nervous. LMAO...anyone that knows the streets knows that those are the worse types of people to run up on when they're desperate. You'd better hope your robber isn't a crackhead. Crackheads have stacked more bodies than a Chinese cemetary. They'll run into your home shooting everything that moves, including kids, granny, the wife, the goldfish, and everything else.

I never said that you shouldn't be armed, all i was saying is that it ain't as easy as these folks seem to think it is. Having a gun isn't a guarantee of anything. Hell, there is a good chance that it'll only make the problem worse if you're not careful.
Amen brother, for what little it's worth I grew up on Livernois near Crowley Park...granted not nearly a warzone but close enough to have some knowledge.

I agree that Hollywood does a disservice. It's amazing how many people want to pick up a handgun, assume that there's no recoil and assume that penetration power will be sufficient.

And, again, I agree with you...folks should be armed and able to protect themselves...but, dear lord, some of these ignorant miscreants do more to retard the advancement of individual rights than they can imagine.

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
home invasion
n. Burglary of a dwelling while the residents are at home.

So, while your above scenario is definitely home invasion as well, it could very easily be "done by stealth" or "done while the family is asleep". It does not have to involve weapons or victims that don't know the perpetrators.

Perhaps your state defines it differently...

The very definition of home invasion robbery is a violent, sudden entry with weapons drawn. It's sudden, loud, and terrifying. Thats the whole poin, to totally confuse the inhabitants into abject fear. What you are describing is burglary or B&E, which IS done by stealth.

I was responding to the OP description (i.e. burst in). It's a totally different scenario, what the perps are trying to do is scare the sh** out of people, so they do not have time to react. And, again, if you have small children, odds are you will not be carrying a holstered sidearm. And, in these cases, drawing a weapon can get you, and your family killed.

Guns in the home don't guarantee safety.

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
LOL.

"...anyone that knows the streets..."

Who are you? John Shaft?

LOL.
Bruh, there are those that know, and those that think they know. You think you know. I know.

You want things to be one way, but they aren't that way...they're that other way. That's ok...most people are like you. The key is to be cautious and realistic. That's all i'm saying. If you think you're gonna blast your way out of a bad scenario, you're only kidding yourself. The cops don't tell people to hold on until they get there for nothing. They tell you that for a reason.

Look, i get it...some folks have actually beat the odds and killed a burglar or home invader. Bully for them. But again, don't think for a minute that it always goes down like that.

So again, be safe. That's all i can say to you.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So you are saying just give up and surrender since there is no possible way you can defeat one of these SuperCriminals™.

Yes...why even consider owning a gun since there is zero chance it would help you during a home invasion.
Reading comp 101. Owning a gun does not guarantee your safety. If you think it does, you are sadly mistaken. But, next time someone kicks down your door and points a loaded shotgun at you, while his buddy is pointing a loaded gun at your family, both screaming at you to give them your money, or hit the floor, by all means, tell them to wait until you can get to your gun, load it, and point it at them. I'm sure they'll happily comply.

The OP's scenario is not realistic.

And, I am NOT anti gun, I love the 2nd amendment, but choosing NOT to have a gun in my home is my choice, and it has served me well for a lot of decades. AND I reserve the right NOT to have a gun in my home, just as many here reserve the right to have guns in their home. My family is fine, my kids are all grown and have families of their own.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default ha ha ha ha ha..gee Bruno what are the regs if we do a home invasion?

"And, do you know exactly what a home invasion is? It's not done by stealth, and it's not done while the family is asleep"

LEO who always wanted to be a lawyer?

Definitions are after the fact and arguable.

Do you suppose a B&E can turn into a home invasion?

Hard definitions of B&E, home invasion, assault are the realm of the justice system not real life. Suppose the perps don't know they that a home invasion is not supposed to be 'stealthy'?

Some 'perp' standing over you in the night does not immediately conjur thoughts of legal classification.

not unheard of to have a guest carry out a criminal act.

Your fire alarm and CO2 alarm might go off when you are at work and no one will hear them. so why bother?

Toss out your spare tire, you never had a flat in 30 years. and if you did would you have the strength or knowledge to change it. Hey that spare weighs a lot and a lighter car gets better mileage.

That quote/stats was from an alarm company ad posted for referencing the extent of home invasions.
If you don't like their definitions complain to them.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
I will, and do, have a firearm at the ready. So does my wife. The only "children" are 16 + y.o. grandsons who respect the firearm and have been trained in their use - they know they are not "toys".

Old 08-01-2012, 01:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I've never spent much time thinking about being home invaded, I tend to think more about stuff that is way more likely to happen to me.

Now that I am thinking about a home invasion my thoughts are whether it would be crashing through my patio door with a bang, stealthy, 1 person or multiple, what time, who's home, what I'll be doing when they come in, where I'd be in the house, etc. I guess if you limit yourself to "someone breaks in while we are sleeping but I wake up and have time to do something" it's much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies