Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,580,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I give up. Go read the details coming out of DC, HHS, IRS, etc.
There are enough companies doing this that should make you wonder what is going on to cause all these changes in business at the same time.

582,000 new part time jobs created in last month's BLS report.

You advocates of Obamacare didn't read the bill either or read the follow ups coming out of the agencies.

Let me ask you this..are you aware of the issues involving the states regarding these pools and the problems they are having with HHS yet a deadline looms for states to make a decision ?
Yes, I am very aware as too many states sat around pretending Obama would lose for sure and Romney would repeal.

Apparently, companies such as Papa John's did the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,141,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All these questions/statements of yours beg the question I asked. Does Pappa John's offer insurance to all employees, or just those at 40 hours?

What changes in business? We have a few restauranteurs claiming their prices will go up, and/or they will have to lay people off d/t Obamacare. Most of the stuff that has been posted is "plans" to do this/that/the other. Even in good times, some businesses lay people off, d/t insufficient business.

This has nothing to do with pools, insurance or otherwise.
A lot of companies offered insurance to full time (usually 36-40 hour) employees as part of a "benefits" package, but not only would they do so at prohibitive cost, but in many places it was difficult to get the necessary hours on your schedule to meet those minimum requirements.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All these questions/statements of yours beg the question I asked. Does Pappa John's offer insurance to all employees, or just those at 40 hours?

What changes in business? We have a few restauranteurs claiming their prices will go up, and/or they will have to lay people off d/t Obamacare. Most of the stuff that has been posted is "plans" to do this/that/the other. Even in good times, some businesses lay people off, d/t insufficient business.

This has nothing to do with pools, insurance or otherwise.
My son worked under 40. He was p/t ..between 30-35 hours.
Still in HS so I did watch those hours because they would have worked him up near 40 but I told him school was more important. That's how I know how much he worked.

Insurance was offered to everyone. I saw and read the paperwork he got and helped him to fill out only what he needed to. Papa John's was his first job so he didn't know any of the ropes or what paperwork do fill out and return.

It was not the greatest plan and it was expensive. Then again..this is Papa John's and this was insurance offered to the p/t employees. I would wager that under Obamacare this would not be a "qualifying insurance plan" and that is why the hours are being cut to 29.

Insurance for p/t workers is not comparable to what full time workers get..not even close.

Walmart offers insurance to their p/t workers and you still read that they have their kids on medicaid anyway so that should give you an indication of cost vs quality.

And my remark about pools was made in hopes that you would read up of the next upcoming crisis/fiasco concerning Obamacare. Only this one is between state governments and the Fed.

I haven't kept up with details though because Texas already told the Fed they were not going to operate a state pool and refer all Texans to the Fed pool.

But if your state is going to do their own pool there are issues and questions and not all the answers and the Fed wants states to make decisions now without having all the information and data..mostly regarding state costs.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM

781 posts, read 1,197,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlife4me View Post
Last time I ordered Papa Johns pizza it arrived limp and cold. If they raise their prices, patronize another pizza franchise. I prefer Dominos pizza anyway.
Yup. Granted, I'm originally from NY, hence, I'll always be biased, but, I'd rather patronize a local-owned shop in Baltimore before waste funds on inedible pizza, and, now, inedible, higher-priced pizza at PJs.

Idk what his big stink is anyway. The goal is to provide health insurance to the close to 50 million uninsured in this country. The average PJ employee earns minimum wage and my hunch is more 'full time' folks are within corporate, not local franchises. My younger brother was a pizza delivery guy while in college in OH and worked PT--he worked for peanuts, and was never offered insurance. I'd love to see the demographic breakdown and profile of PJ employees--how many are students (covered by insurance anyway), how many have been PT from the beginning, (less than 30 hours--according to a Google search, they are overwhelmingly all PT), how many are eligible for subsidized insurance based upon their wages.

I, personally have a hard time hearing about this kind of stuff--nickel and diming employees and consumers, when, you live high on the hog and your only concern is yourself and your shareholders. Sure, some people will say that's business, but, it doesn't' have to be that way. It's greed. I know plenty of companies (especially in the NY area), where, they started small, and, the company grew with the employees, not, just because of them. When profits went into the millions, money went back to the staff that helped get the company to that point--via proper compensation and affordable healthcare benefits to all interested, PT and FT. But, that's not how all folks run their business. And, because of that, some intervention is required because those folks that are not insured and are working PT, are most likely a % of that 48.6 million--and, if PJ isn't paying for their healthcare, someone else is...

This man's compound is pretty sweet, btw, especially to hold Romney fundraisers:
Mitt Romney fundraiser at the home of Papa John's founder John Schnatter - YouTube

Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM

You are forgetting that there is a punitive side to this..$2000-$3000 per employee penalty.

If you have all p/t workers than you don't have to worry about either insurance or the penalty or the additional paperwork (IRS wants quarterly forms filed).

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe it's time liberals open a few businesses -- put their money where their mouths are, they can invest, put in long hours, and pay enormous taxes and lose their shirts on Obamacare and the extra taxes he is creating.

Was it your intent to imply liberals don't own businesses? That's a tad silly.

Warren Buffet owns a few businesses. He's an independent. He's also in favor of Obamacare.

Bill Gates once owned a business. He too is an independent and favors nationalized healthcare.

Most small businesses hire part timers and pay minimum wage. They are not going to be impacted.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You are forgetting that there is a punitive side to this..$2000-$3000 per employee penalty.

If you have all p/t workers than you don't have to worry about either insurance or the penalty or the additional paperwork (IRS wants quarterly forms filed).
And the employee has to pay the premiums, so even if you offer crap insurance at outrageous cost, it's the employee who has to bear most of the cost, not the employer.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Was it your intent to imply liberals don't own businesses? That's a tad silly.

Warren Buffet owns a few businesses. He's an independent. He's also in favor of Obamacare.

Bill Gates once owned a business. He too is an independent and favors nationalized healthcare.

Most small businesses hire part timers and pay minimum wage. They are not going to be impacted.
Big business is not effect by this 50 full time employee waiver part so talking about Bill Gates, who has been out of Microsoft for quite a number of years and Buffet is moot.

This only effects business with 50 or less employees.
part time went from up to 39 hours to up to 29 hours. That is the IRS change fueling the business changes.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Big business is not effect by this 50 full time employee waiver part so talking about Bill Gates, who has been out of Microsoft for quite a number of years and Buffet is moot.

This only effects business with 50 or less employees.
part time went from up to 39 hours to up to 29 hours. That is the IRS change fueling the business changes.
Companies with 50 or less employees are exempt.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,454,807 times
The guy can run his business the way he wants to, and if that includes charging more for that crappy pizza, so be it. The public will decide if the cost is too high, and the employees will decide if they want to look for work elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies