Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

IIRC he said that as a joke. Look, there are plenty of things you can criticize Obama for, why try and twist a joke into a serious statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But they do get plenty of perks.
Most have stated the loss of privacy pretty much negates the perks. Though many have written about how privileged they were to live in the White House and have the opportunity to work on projects dear to their hearts.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 PM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Barack sure thinks so whether anybody else does or not. There is a list of the things she has done that amounted to being paid although she didn't get a check here.

Of course, The One was talking to a large group of mostly women when he made his claim. I wonder if he will declare her an employee in one of his next executive orders.

Obama Whines Michelle Doesn't Collect Salary As First Lady : Freedom Outpost

Food & board in luxurious surroundings is pretty good pay.
No one hired her either.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I think if the First Lady fulfills certain duties, then yes, she should be paid. Most likely she would donate the money to charity anyway.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
third thread a bout this!!! i have to say it again,, mc donalds has openings for $7.95 an hour

Old 08-11-2012, 03:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
IIRC he said that as a joke. Look, there are plenty of things you can criticize Obama for, why try and twist a joke into a serious statement?
Does this sound like a joke when being said to a group of women?

“I want to make sure that when she’s working she’s getting paid the same as men,†Obama said. “I gotta say that First Ladies right now don’t [get paid], even though that’s a tough job!â€

I don't really think he was joking when he said those words, but then who knows. Who do you think wrote that speech for him?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:46 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Let's see what he said, and the context in which he said it (a novel idea, I know).

Quote:
And let me say this. When I talk about women's issues, I'm talking about the experiences that I've seen in my own life. Everybody knows Michelle. (Applause.) The fact that we are partners in this process, this journey of life, has been my source of strength. And I want to make sure that she has control over her health care choices. I want to make sure that when she's working, she is getting paid the same as men. I've got to say, First Ladies right now don't -- (laughter) -- even though that's a tough job.

You know, my own mom would have been 70 years old this year. And my sister and I lost her to cancer when she was just 52 years old. And she got to meet Michelle, but she never got a chance to meet her granddaughters or watch them grow up. And I often think about what might have happened if a doctor had caught her cancer sooner, or if she had been able to spend less time focusing on how she was going to pay her bills and more time on getting well.
Remarks by the President at Campaign Event -- Denver, CO | The White House

Old 08-11-2012, 03:57 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Yeah, it seems like he just wanted to make an example or something. I don't think a move to give First Ladies a salary would get anywhere. They have no official duties. They can get money from writing books or doing appearances. And of course all the fringe benefits of being married to the POTUS.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Barack sure thinks so whether anybody else does or not. There is a list of the things she has done that amounted to being paid although she didn't get a check here.

Of course, The One was talking to a large group of mostly women when he made his claim. I wonder if he will declare her an employee in one of his next executive orders.

Obama Whines Michelle Doesn't Collect Salary As First Lady : Freedom Outpost
Are you unaware that there is another thread about this exact topic on the board now? Or do you just think that if you repeat the same thing over and over again it will have some impact?

There are 53 posts in the other thread about the exact same topic and the last post was made early a.m. TODAY. Do you not ever look to see if someone else has started a thread on the same topic you want to talk about and just start your own without concern? Here's the link to the other CD thread:

Obama Complains that Michelle Doesn't Make Money As First Lady

I think the First Lady should be getting paid simply because she has to endure the verbal abuse of racist, misogynist, right wingers regardless of what she does! My guess is that those people would be the first to "HOWL" (your favorite word it seems) that she was lazy if she didn't work on any causes and just gave moral support to her husband, took care of her kids, and was hostess for White House events.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 08-11-2012 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The fact that the thread refers to the first lady by her first name alone says a lot about the sorry state of American public affairs and (pseudo-)journalism at the street level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies