Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times

Advertisements

Whatever happened to being best qualified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Honestly, I think they (and you indirectly) are making an issue out of nothing. The ASO did not state that they didn't want these schools based on diversity, that is what the schools said and there is no proof that ASO representatives said that. Here is what ASO said in your article and the video:

Quote:
"We've been thrilled with the quality and performance of Lassiter and Walton choruses for four straight years; they are terrific," Wade wrote. "But we felt it was simply time to let another set of kids participate."
They did not say it was racially motivated and didn't even mention "diversity."

This smells like another media ploy driven by some upset parent or school official trying to make something "sexy" by saying it was based on race and you fell for it, like most people do.

Your article also stated that these two high schools have performed on the holiday program for 4 years straight and that they were even invited back but they declined because ASO wanted them to bring a smaller group instead of making them the focus of the program. I think someone's ego was hurt and they are trying to blame "diversity" for it, when that is not to blame at all.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
I guarentee this is how it went down-

We are inviting in another High School Chorus to increase the diversity of our Holiday program. Of course your two schools are still invited to the event but will have to reduce the number of Choir students that attend becuase of space limitations.

Schools translation: We are not diverse enough so ********* we are not going period.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Who cares if its diverse or not?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Who cares if its diverse or not?
Obviously they do and it's their program.

Look I get what your trying to point out. However in this instance I dont think that is what happened.

The Atlanta Symphony has the right to invite different schools to its program that reflect the makeup of its community.

In this case I think the two schools that felt snubbed are just feeling sorry for themselves.

I worked in Hotlanta for a time back in the mid 1990's and race relations are always worn on the sleeve in that area.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
It's about diversity all right - but not racial diversity. The symphony wants to give other school choruses a chance to perform also.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:18 AM

390 posts, read 265,976 times
Diversity is not beneficial in any manner.

It is merely an excuse for people who do not have the merits to get by on their own.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,648 times

" Diversity is Strength "

I don't remember where I read that... maybe 1984

Old 08-17-2012, 06:17 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,140,022 times
I live in Atlanta and do think it's possible that the Symphony said that the two choruses weren't diverse enough. Aside from not choosing a chorus based on merit, it's ironic because the symphony itself isn't very diverse. While it's not as bad as the Vienna Symphony which didn't allow women until 1997, there are just a few Asians and one or two African-Americans. I don't think this is due to discrimination. They do blind auditions where they can't even see the person playing. It's just that African-Americans seldom go into classical music. Diversity would be nice in this case, but not realistic.

The Atlanta Symphony would very much like to increase its audience, especially African-Americans, so this perhaps is one way to do it. Just not sure it's the right way (or that it will really pay off. The people who quit going to the symphony to protest the Cobb County schools being kicked out may offset any people who start going because of a new, more "diverse" chorus.

As to the new chorus, don't know their musical merit. But I'm not sure it is really "diverse." I read that:

In the 2006-2007 school year, the school had 1,285 students. [2]
In metro Atlanta, in some locations, there are many more Latinos and Asians than just a combined 3%. So I'm not sure this was the right/best high school to choose. There is one in Gwinnett that has:

• Hispanic: 57%
  • Black: 24%
  • Asian: 10%
  • White: 4%
  • Other: 5%
But maybe that wasn't quite the diversity they were looking for...

Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 AM

Those two schools had the spot light for FOUR years. Jeez buz let some other schools in. A rising tide lifts all boats. If you want a better program in the Metro area then you need to force it to grow.

This is about growing the music programs at ALL area high schools. Obviously those two schools whining and complaining have no issues with their programs.

Also they were not kicked out, they decided to not return because they didn t like the changes. Big difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies