Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM

990 posts, read 940,164 times

Advertisements

Don't they realize that Rand was an Atheist?
It's really weird to me that a person who advocates religious-based policies (like those on Abortion) could possibly be a supporter of Rand when she rallied so much against religion.

Then again, Ryan likes Rage Against the Machine and they are as politically Liberal as a band can possibly get. The hypocrisy on the right is staggering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
It's really weird to me that a person who advocates religious-based policies (like those on Abortion) could possibly be a supporter of Rand when she rallied so much against religion.

Then again, Ryan likes Rage Against the Machine and they are as politically Liberal as a band can possibly get. The hypocrisy on the right is staggering.
You can like a musician or an artist without agreeing with their politics, so I don't see the hypocristy with Rage Against the Machine. However, Ayn Rand espoused an ideology which appears to be at odds with many quotes by Jesus

5,261 posts, read 4,159,902 times
Being from Wisconsin, Paul Ryan's admiration for Rand was hardly a secret. Now he's like, "Rand, Ayn Rand? Who is that?"

These phony Christian types take the cake. They're self-absorbed a-holes who love the idea of the looting poor people who are after their wallets being put in their place. They love the idea of venerating the rich. They just ignore Rand's atheism and grab the rest of it. Pathetic, especially given how much time and writing Rand devoted to denigrating their religious beliefs.

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times
Quote:

Well, they don't know a lot, the first time they heard of her was a week ago. For now, they are big "fans".

Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,913,304 times
You can't follow both Jesus and Ayn Rand because they're polar opposites. Jesus says help the poor, Rand says it's best to let them die in suffering.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,159,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
You can like a musician or an artist without agreeing with their politics, so I don't see the hypocristy with Rage Against the Machine. However, Ayn Rand espoused an ideology which appears to be at odds with many quotes by Jesus
The problem is that with that group and others, they directly espouse their beliefs in their music. How exactly does a terminal square, College Republican-type like Ryan sing those lyrics or just listen to them and find it a pleasurable experience. You don't find me singing jingoistic country songs. Well, that may be a poor example seeing as how country music just plain sucks, but you get the point.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,302,568 times
Quote:

Ayn Rand and her horrible simplistic books give a voice to those that want to forget about their fellow citizens.

They can be cast as parasites, moochers, takers, and lazy who are feeding off of the producers. This creates in their mind the justification to cut of those people from all governmental assistance.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:50 AM

990 posts, read 940,164 times
Quote:
True, but Rage is a highly political band, so it's a bit amusing that someone would claim them as their favorite band while completely disagreeing with everything they stand for.

That being said, I LOVE me some Christian musicians like John Davis (front man for Superdrag), The Blind Boys of Alabama, Ben Harper, etc., so I can understand that people will listen to music which isn't in line with their political ideology.

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
I mean I don't know much about modern day Christianity, but for some reason I think there might be a problem reconciling the NT with "The Virtue of Selfishness."

Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,922,320 times
Quote:
Agreed, but with a band like Rage Against the Machine politics was a crucial component of their art. Even the band's name is a political statement. For a Republican to say that they are a fan of the band's music is completely ridiculous unless they only listened to some bootleg version that omitted every lyric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies