Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times

Advertisements

According to a study published on Monday a U.S. War veteran commits suicide every 80 minutes. The suicides have increased since the start of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars; among those currently serving from 2005 to 2010 a servicemember commits suicide every 36 hours.

These figures are appalling.....suicide seems to be increasing among all societal groups from gay teens to black youth to older whites and everyone in between......is this a sign of our "mean/hateful" spirited times and economic conditions, since ALL socioeconomic groups and veterans seem equally affected?

A Veteran Dies By Suicide Every 80 Minutes, Center For A New American Security Study Reveals

http://www.cnas.org/files/documents/...llBerglass.pdf

Senators tell VA to reduce veteran suicides | McClatchy

NIMH · Suicide in the U.S.: Statistics and Prevention

Elderly White Men Afflicted by High Suicide Rates - Population Reference Bureau

Gay Teen Suicide

NIMH · Black Teens, Especially Girls, at High Risk for Suicide Attempts

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - With Help Comes Hope

Suicide.org: Suicide Prevention, Suicide Awareness, Suicide Support - Suicide.org! Suicide.org! Suicide.org!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Genrally, in our society, to talk about suicide is a taboo. For that reason, anything to do with suicide receives little attention. Not many people care about suicide among civilians or the military. A sad commentary on our society.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
I dunno. I'm conflicted. Our troops are better equipped and better supported than any other army in the history of the world. Further, the term "deployed" is misleading, especially as it pertains to suicides and any correlation to the Iraq/Afghan wars. Seemingly, as the media portrays it, being deployed carries the same weight as actually seeing combat. This couldn't be further from the truth. Hundreds of thousands of troops are deployed in support of the wars across many different countries, most of them not seeing one ounce of actual combat. So that lends the question...why would being deployed contribute to the increase in suicides? I haven't personally studied the phenomenon, but the only reasonable (I use that term lightly) scenario that seems plausible to me are suicides by those who witness horrendous events during true combat operations. Otherwise, I don't see how being deployed in and of itself is a reason for suicide. There has to be other reasons.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
Grief Speaks: Giving every child, teenager and adult permission to grieve and providing grief with a voice by means of presentations and workshops that provide education, strategies, resources and support for children, teens and adults who are coping with grief due to all different types of loss.
Grief Speaks

Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I dunno. I'm conflicted. Our troops are better equipped and better supported than any other army in the history of the world. Further, the term "deployed" is misleading, especially as it pertains to suicides and any correlation to the Iraq/Afghan wars.
Seemingly, as the media portrays it, being deployed carries the same weight as actually seeing combat.
This couldn't be further from the truth. Hundreds of thousands of troops are deployed in support of the wars across many different countries, most of them not seeing one ounce of actual combat.
So that lends the question...why would being deployed contribute to the increase in suicides? I haven't personally studied the phenomenon, but the only reasonable (I use that term lightly) scenario that seems plausible to me are suicides by those who witness horrendous events during true combat operations.
Otherwise, I don't see how being deployed in and of itself is a reason for suicide. There has to be other reasons.
There is a lot of PTSD within out troops too and these go hand in hand with suicide and domestic violence. Our troops don't have as much support as one thinks and as they have had in the past. During the campaign season they were vilified and not supported because it fit the democrat agenda and that is shameful.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
Army Colonel Antonio Monaco has discovered something that is reducing suicides and even healing, yes, some claim true healing of PTSD, with the colonel's free gift given from his 501c at www.patriotoutreach.org !

It's growing by grass roots word-of-mouth, and finally folks from within the military ranks are speaking out about it. Dig these quotes...

Army Chaplain
"The Be Still and Know Exercise works for me. It calms my soul, enhances my thinking, and improves my emotional regulation. I am thankful to be a more resilient chaplain." -Chaplain (LTC), U.S. Army (Southern Baptist)

Walter Reed
"Patriot Outreach Coping Strategies CDs. "I have rendered a positive opinion to TSG (The Surgeon General)." - Dr. (COL) John Bradley, M.D., Chief of Psychiatry, Walter Reed Army Medical Center

MG (Major General)
"In my own experience as a commander, I have seen Soldiers make rapid and sustained improvement through use of these [Coping Strategies] CDs. I was relieved to have these CDs available as a tool our Chaplains could hand out to Soldiers and their spouses. Soldiers, who otherwise refused to seek help, benefited by using the CD in the privacy of their home." - MG(R) George R. Harris, recently retired West Point General assigned to the Office of the Secretary of the Army

Veterans Administration Clinic
"I received my [Coping Strategies] CD and love it. I would very much like to request 30 more for use at the VA Clinic and to provide to soldiers and families.
This is a wonderful resource!
Thank you," -T.P., Addiction Therapist (VA Clinic)

Father Loses Son in Iraq, Joins Marines
"On the third try, all hell broke loose and it was an epiphany... It energizes me, it enlightens me and it gives me strength... I am ready and proud." - Mike, U.S. Marine Corps, Deployed to Iraq

Sergeant USMC
"Thank you, It saved my Life! The peace and joy I now enjoy makes life worthwhile! " - SGT J. Shiposki, U.S. Marine Corps, (Homebound Quadriplegic)

Air Force Chaplain
"The distribution of these [Coping Strategies] CD's has been a great success.
My thanks to the Lord and staff. I have been busy at the Mass Military Reservation on-base. Units from all over New England come here. May I request 50 more CD's? One veteran has commented 'thanks for looking out for us!" -Respectfully, B. C., U.S. Air Force

Doctor
"Hello I am a Professional Counselor in private practice and a volunteer in the 'Give An Hour' program. I anticipate needing no less than 6 copies of this product to use in conjunction with current and future active therapy cases. If you can supply this request i will be grateful."
Thank You," -Major W. K.

Wife
"May I have 10 copies? I am a family member of an active duty soldier. I am also a clinical psychologist working with soldiers who have combat stress and PTSD. I think the cd would be a good resource for my patients. Thank you," - D. L, PsyD RN FNP (Clinical Psychologist)

Navy Vet, Vietnam
"Amazingly, it (the Exercise) keeps showing and reaping benefits. I've never been more patient and alive. The secret is in the watchful observance without struggle." - L. Brown U.S. Navy, Gulf of Tonkin, Vietnam

Iraq Warrior
"I am no longer in denial of what happened in Iraq. I am freed. The exercise helped me overcome my past; it;s not haunting me any longer. it's a winner!!"
- PFC J.M., U.S. Army, Anbar Province, Iraq 2004-2005

Dr. George Hayter, M.D., Psychiatrist and Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, says the Exercise "…is the only program of self-therapy which achieves the desired end-state of therapy; to lessen the dependence on the therapist – the goal is self-awareness." Also, he says, "It’s the only approach that I have ever seen in the whole field of psychology which allows you to become independent, competent and effective."

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Thanks for posting the link, Sunnysee. I tried the Exercise a couple of years ago, and was amazed at its effect on my longtime PTSD symptoms.

I would urge anyone who needs help in coping with severe emotional trauma to try it. Seriously.

--- Yeledaf, Vietnam combat vet

Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I dunno. I'm conflicted. Our troops are better equipped and better supported than any other army in the history of the world. Further, the term "deployed" is misleading, especially as it pertains to suicides and any correlation to the Iraq/Afghan wars. Seemingly, as the media portrays it, being deployed carries the same weight as actually seeing combat. This couldn't be further from the truth. Hundreds of thousands of troops are deployed in support of the wars across many different countries, most of them not seeing one ounce of actual combat. So that lends the question...why would being deployed contribute to the increase in suicides? I haven't personally studied the phenomenon, but the only reasonable (I use that term lightly) scenario that seems plausible to me are suicides by those who witness horrendous events during true combat operations. Otherwise, I don't see how being deployed in and of itself is a reason for suicide. There has to be other reasons.
There is. It is called guilt, and it makes sense you would not understand this as you have none. But alot of veterans feel guilt for the deaths and destruction wrought by U.S. occupations/invasions, and this can manifest itself as PTSD. In more extreme cases, it can lead to suicide.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Genrally, in our society, to talk about suicide is a taboo. For that reason, anything to do with suicide receives little attention. Not many people care about suicide among civilians or the military. A sad commentary on our society.

I agree but the suicide rates seem to increasing for all groups, albeit at varying rates.

It needs to be discussed though....our society seems indifferent to the issue and many people instead of trying to help ameliorate the problem; simply add to it by calling these people "weak minded" and "unbalanced" thereby making them feel superior and justifying their lack of empathy for others.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
There is a lot of PTSD within out troops too and these go hand in hand with suicide and domestic violence. Our troops don't have as much support as one thinks and as they have had in the past. During the campaign season they were vilified and not supported because it fit the democrat agenda and that is shameful.
DO WE have to make EVERYTHING a political issue...GEEZ....wasn't it Republicans who just booed a soldier??????

Making your ridiculous point MOOT!

CAN WE PLEASE stay on topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies