Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
well, at least you've admitted what you're here for.
We agree and you bash me?

What is that about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about and seem to want to refuse to accept the fact that even federal employees have suffered due to the state of the economy. Not every federal employee has enough money in their accounts to live a stress-free life after being laid off from their job. You are purposely ignoring that fact.
You have no proof that I am wrong. If you are a full-time federal employee a two year pay freeze is not "suffering". It is simply a pause in the steady, annual increase in pay that most Americans can only imagine.

I'm still waiting for the federal employees to at least acknowledge that others have simply lost their jobs not just a mere freeze in pay increases.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Yeah. Let's take the only good paying jobs and cut wages! Because Mittens needs another tax break. I personally would LOVE to have the guy inspecting my water supply to show the same kind of qualifications you'd look for in a Wal-Mart greeter!

Do you Reps ever think about what you write? Or just gorge on whatever slop the Koch brothers put down in front of you?

Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Why are you so worried about what OTHER people would think? It's like you are trying to decide for OTHER people what they should care about and how they should feel. That shows your bias right there.
Those other people are voters who help decide how much of my tax money will go to pay for luxurious government employee conferences, $5 government pens and the federal employee cushy benefits, etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean this line (and I quote) "I've only voted for none of them" LOL

Sigh...

Ironically, it turned out that out the two of us you are the liberal, based on your voting record

Have a nice day.
Only a mental defective could think that I am a liberal after reading my posts.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I find it funny how some people in here are literally attacking federal employees while blaming them for having a job with statements like, "It's time to bring down aristocracy of government workers." Do you all realize how you sound? You are hoping for the firing of people that have innocently applied for and received a job? So, you don't care about these people's well-being if they were fired? But for some reason you care about the private-sector worker even though you know neither personally. Some of you talk about federal workers as if they intentionally did something against you just because they have a job. Where is the maturity and logic in that?
Interesting.

Didn't hear this sentiment when it came to banking industry employees.

I wonder why not?

Hmmm.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Don't Hate
Congratulate!
If federal employees can make that type of money with benefits more power to them.
Sounds like you will be donating extra tax money to pay for those benefits. Have fun with that.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
I posted some on the earlier pages of this topic...but please remember to get away from lumping all government employees together into one. Yes, some agencies, such as DHS, GSA (and I am sure others) have grown excessively and rightly should have budget cuts. There is no oversight in what they do apparently at the higher level. But on the reverse there are federal employee at agencies where people have been cut and budgets have been cut for certain things. Yes I still have my job in the NWS and I am thankful, but also I worked very hard for it and still do, working shift work and missing birthday parties and holiday gatherings. But I accept that as weather is 24/7. But to wish ill-will on someone like me that worked to get into the NWS seems pretty awful.

The problem I see is that there are so many arms into the different agencies with no oversight and the rules that are in place to prevent common sense things. For example, at our office, office supplies must be ordered on-line through a GSA approved company. We cannot just go to Office Depot to get office supplies and save money...no we have to pay higher prices through an approved company because that is what the contract with GSA says. We cannot go to SAM's club to get kleenex or other bulk items for our office use, we must order them through a supplier some thousand miles away. Just simple common sense things would help....but the government has such blanket rules that make no sense. Our office, used to have more student volunteers from the local university who are in meteorology as a major. The goal was to allow them to see NWS operations and to help them with their career choice. Because background checks, fingerprints required of each person and the costs involved, the number we can have is chopped in half. It is the little things that get axed that actually help us in the field, and instead the big budget items can get approved without a second notice.

I also work in North Dakota where the economy is quite good so outside of my work some companies are losing employees who travel to western ND for the oil boom. In my area, jobs are quite abundant and stories of restaurants closing due to lack of employees to run them.

Dan

Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Why do you ask? Would it make your suffering any more bearable or are you just one of those people who wants to see others suffer? It's not the federal workers who are pulling in million dollar bonuses or influencing the elections. Let them be. They have boring jobs and they're poorly compensated.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM

59,073 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I posted some on the earlier pages of this topic...but please remember to get away from lumping all government employees together into one. Yes, some agencies, such as DHS, GSA (and I am sure others) have grown excessively and rightly should have budget cuts. There is no oversight in what they do apparently at the higher level. But on the reverse there are federal employee at agencies where people have been cut and budgets have been cut for certain things. Yes I still have my job in the NWS and I am thankful, but also I worked very hard for it and still do, working shift work and missing birthday parties and holiday gatherings. But I accept that as weather is 24/7. But to wish ill-will on someone like me that worked to get into the NWS seems pretty awful.

The problem I see is that there are so many arms into the different agencies with no oversight and the rules that are in place to prevent common sense things. For example, at our office, office supplies must be ordered on-line through a GSA approved company. We cannot just go to Office Depot to get office supplies and save money...no we have to pay higher prices through an approved company because that is what the contract with GSA says. We cannot go to SAM's club to get kleenex or other bulk items for our office use, we must order them through a supplier some thousand miles away. Just simple common sense things would help....but the government has such blanket rules that make no sense. Our office, used to have more student volunteers from the local university who are in meteorology as a major. The goal was to allow them to see NWS operations and to help them with their career choice. Because background checks, fingerprints required of each person and the costs involved, the number we can have is chopped in half. It is the little things that get axed that actually help us in the field, and instead the big budget items can get approved without a second notice.

I also work in North Dakota where the economy is quite good so outside of my work some companies are losing employees who travel to western ND for the oil boom. In my area, jobs are quite abundant and stories of restaurants closing due to lack of employees to run them.

Dan
" For example, at our office, office supplies must be ordered on-line through a GSA approved company. We cannot just go to Office Depot to get office supplies and save money."

Maybe it should be brought up to your management.

The Agency I worked for, had what was called an Impact card issued at each of our over 1,600 offices nationwide just for this purpose. It had a $2,500 monthly limit and was well managed.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-24-2012 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies