Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

I just saw one of his anti-Romney ads where he bragged about his tariff on tires made in China.

What a ridiculous ad. It convinced me once again that Romney needs my vote.

I remember the high increase in tire prices when that happened. I bought new tires just before it hit so I wouldn't have to pay the higher cost.

Just another TAX dems conveniently forgot and don't talk about. They probably think the Chinese absorbed the extra cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I just saw one of his anti-Romney ads where he bragged about his tariff on tires made in China.

What a ridiculous ad. It convinced me once again that Romney needs my vote.

I remember the high increase in tire prices when that happened. I bought new tires just before it hit so I wouldn't have to pay the higher cost.

Just another TAX dems conveniently forgot and don't talk about. They probably think the Chinese absorbed the extra cost.
I'm glad you brought this up. Most people have either forgotten or didn't even know about it.

All the left seems to know is that they have to vote for Obama, but they don't know why. Perhaps it's because he said so.

Redistribution in the form of taxes (or "penalties") will do nothing but increase costs for EVERYONE.

That is, after all, Obama's goal.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:05 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Thats actualy one thing I agree with the guy on. The American consumer dosnt seem to give a damn about jobs. Shame they dont , then shat like this wouldn't be needed.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM

It was kinda pushed in without a lot of fanfare. I heard about it and called around to several tire outlets to find out if it was true. Yep, it was true. Tire prices were going up by close to 50% on a specific day in the coming weeks. So I scheduled an appointment and got it done. I can't remember when that happened. Probably around 2 years ago.

Cigarette prices skyrocketed due to SCHIP, which, btw, Bush vetoed. Tire prices skyrocketed.

And dems can't see anything wrong with that.

And they won't flinch when 0care hits, either.

No wonder everyone is on food stamps.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM

Oh I remember the cigs. Just a few months in office and a whopping 156% increase in the fed tax.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thats actualy one thing I agree with the guy on. The American consumer dosnt seem to give a damn about jobs. Shame they dont , then shat like this wouldn't be needed.
So did you do away with your car? You no longer use tires?

Those kinds of tariffs don't hurt the Chinese. They hurt...........wait for it................

YOU!

Duh!

I, too, would like to buy American made products. Wishful thinking. Ain't gonna happen.

I went to ecigs when that idiot signed SCHIP.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Actualy not all tires are made in China. That tarrif may eventualy return jobs here. Yes I do buy tires but like almost everything I buy , I buy them with money I have not paid taxes on . My preferred way I buying.

As far as smokes go, If one is patiant , you can buy Ukranian made marlboros for $15 a carton.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Oh I remember the cigs. Just a few months in office and a whopping 156% increase in the fed tax.
He signed that bill into law after having been there less than a month.

It also contained a > 2400% (yes, two thousand four hundred percent) increase in roll-your-own tobacco, virtually putting that industry out of business entirely. Prior to that law taking effect, I could produce a carton of cigarettes for about $7. After it took effect, my cost jumped to $25. It's actually cheaper for me to buy cartons of cigarettes than to make them.

"no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase -- not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

Broken promise number one, and it took less than a month.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,056 times
Sadly,even Romney feels the need to play the protectionist card. It's what the flyover folks in Ohio and Wisconsin want to hear I guess.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Actualy not all tires are made in China. That tarrif may eventualy return jobs here. Yes I do buy tires but like almost everything I buy , I buy them with money I have not paid taxes on . My preferred way I buying.

As far as smokes go, If one is patiant , you can buy Ukranian made marlboros for $15 a carton.
I've never been a cigarette snob in that I never cared what I smoked as long as I got my fix. A lot of people are brand loyal. I'm not.

I do ecigs now, but not 100%. I still smoke probably 2 to 5 cigarettes a day, as opposed to the 2.5 packs per day I used to smoke. Now when I want a cig, I smoke Clipper Little Cigars. Cherry. They are cigs in a brown wrapper which enables them to be called cigars, even though they're just cigs. I pay $15/carton at the corner cig shop.

I checked on the made in America tires; they went up in cost too. They were already too expensive for me. Even though the tariff was supposedly for foreign made tires, they all took advantage and raised prices.

American made tires are expensive for the same reason other American made products are: unions. The bane of America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies