Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,005,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
LOL! The Democrat's are an empty suit. Some guy in the elections forum was still "blamin Bush".

C'mon Dem's - where is that hope and change that your man Barack promised?

Mitt Romney will win the election because people are tired of the Obama recession.

It's the economy, stupid!
....all the rep I can give you now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,040,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I disagree slightly. To run out of ideas you actually need to have ideas first.

On the Failed Job Creation Front, Obama Has Completely Run Out of Ideas - Forbes
Maybe if he took the time to meet with his jobs council he could get some new ideas? Apparently golfing, vacation and campaigning became more important.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Maybe if he took the time to meet with his jobs council he could get some new ideas? Apparently golfing, vacation and campaigning became more important.
It's more effective to campaign and make big promises and throw dirt at the opponent rather than run on your record, right?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,303,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
His entire political career has been one long campaign. He has never stopped campaigning, except to pause briefly and tell Pelosi and Reid to "get this done for me".

Like I said elsewhere on CD, he is a great salesmen, but he has no business running the company.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,428,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
lets add in the asterisk here:

*make as much money for the owner as possible while paying the fewest amount of employees as little as possible.

Thats the true goal of businesses because it maximizes profits. Of course telling that to Americans would undermine elitist republican agenda.....

this recession is a failing of the private sector. I haven't seen any tax hikes, yet hardly any hiring.............hmmmmm

simple concepts here. We need enough people to be out there consuming if businesses are to hire, for that, in order to do that businesses need to hire and pay wages that give workers (who end up being consumers) money to spend......

The Dow has been back for a while so where are the jobs. Wall Street is making their money, where is the trickle down?

Our whole mess right now is Republican policy which has dominated since Reagan, combined with Republican obstruction to true solutions.

*This is only true of uneducated and unskilled workers.

Skilled workers are still in the driver's seat and able to negotiate with employers favorable terms of employment.

Employers who fail to attract these skilled workers will see these same skilled workers go to work for their competition or go into business themselves and take their customers away.

"this recession is a failing of the private sector"

What?

Did the private sector leave unregulated bundled subprime mortgages sold as AAA investments because Raines, Summers and Rubin said it was a good idea?

Did the private sector refuse to take the advice of Bush's Treasury Secretary to replace ineffective OFFEO with a regulator that had the power to enforce existing rules at the out of control GSEs?

This recession is a classic example of government involving itself in things it has no business screwing with.

"Our whole mess right now is Republican policy which has dominated since Reagan, combined with Republican obstruction to true solutions."

Good grief!

Are you serious?

Clinton repealed Glass-Steigal.

Clinton deliberately left CDOs unregulated.

Clinton required the GSEs buy up CRA mortgages.

Clinton inked NAFTA after the Democratic Senate ratified it.

Clinton pushed for and got the 2000 China Trade Act.

There is no 2008 financial crisis without Clinton.

As for the DOW, it's valued in US Dollars that lose value every day.

When you say "the DOW is back", is to back in real value?

Reagan?

Democrats in their own words Covering up Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac scandal - YouTube

How The Democrats Caused The Financial Crisis: Starring Bill Clinton's HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo And Barack Obama; With Special Guest Appearances By Bill Clinton And Jimmy Carter - YouTube

Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Use talking points you hear much ... I worked raised a family because of coal and manufacturing which are good paying jobs you are so brainwashed and clueless...
Manufacturing does provide well-compensating jobs, but not as many or as well-paying as we had 40 years ago. The world has changed since the '40s, '50s, and '60s; other countries have emerged with a competitive advantage in manufacturing.

By becoming globally connected, we gained access to cheap labor abroad. Our goods became cheaper, but it also meant that manufacturing in the US became too expensive to compete, even with our higher outputs. As a result, manufacturing has largely disappeared from the US. We still make a lot of goods, but that's only a small fraction of what we used to produce and of global production.

Two problems: one, unions have pushed compensation packages far beyond what the value of the output of a worker is worth. In recent decades, packages have shrunk, but not by enough to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I like unions, I just acknowledge that they've had some problems.

Two, politicians from manufacturing-dependent areas pushed for industry protections. Tariffs are a horrible idea. They create well-compensating jobs, but only at a disproportionate cost to consumers. Society sees a net harm, not a benefit.

So, Dumbdowndemocrats, though you may have done well for yourself in manufacturing, your anecdote doesn't mean that others can do the same in the modern era or that we should even try, as the net result may be a loss to society to benefit a few workers.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true, you cant legislate more jobs. however you CAN change the business environment so that it makes sense for businesses to create jobs here.
You'd have to define what's wrong with the current business environment that's in the way of job creation. I can't argue against a point you haven't made.

But, what has been happening is there isn't adequate demand to incentivize job creation. If there aren't consumers with available funds to buy goods and services, then, no matter what the business environment is like, an employer isn't going to add any employees.

Quote:
rubbish. we can have good high paying jobs here in this country, along with good working conditions, and low pollution as well. we just need to put the right regulations in place, ones that make sense across the board, and not the mismash of regulations we have now.
Already answered in another post.

Quote:
actually we can have clean coal. the bush administration put rules in place to clean up the emissions put out by coal fired power plants, including eliminating as much as possible the particulate emissions produced by burning coal, and the co2 emissions also produced by burning coal. and the fly ash can be used in a number of ways as well. the obama administration is waring on coal by putting such restrictive regulations in place that power plants and coal mines are having a hard time operating, and many have shut down, putting more people out of work.
Coal, even with those regulations in place, is still very dirty. CCS? Show me a production example. The systems I've seen are test facilities or small-scale showpieces, and are very expensive to operate. And, remember, I said pollution, not "air pollution." You only partially countered the "air" part, not the larger problem of total pollution from coal.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,005,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Manufacturing does provide well-compensating jobs, but not as many or as well-paying as we had 40 years ago. The world has changed since the '40s, '50s, and '60s; other countries have emerged with a competitive advantage in manufacturing.

By becoming globally connected, we gained access to cheap labor abroad. Our goods became cheaper, but it also meant that manufacturing in the US became too expensive to compete, even with our higher outputs. As a result, manufacturing has largely disappeared from the US. We still make a lot of goods, but that's only a small fraction of what we used to produce and of global production.

Two problems: one, unions have pushed compensation packages far beyond what the value of the output of a worker is worth. In recent decades, packages have shrunk, but not by enough to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I like unions, I just acknowledge that they've had some problems.

Two, politicians from manufacturing-dependent areas pushed for industry protections. Tariffs are a horrible idea. They create well-compensating jobs, but only at a disproportionate cost to consumers. Society sees a net harm, not a benefit.

So, Dumbdowndemocrats, though you may have done well for yourself in manufacturing, your anecdote doesn't mean that others can do the same in the modern era or that we should even try, as the net result may be a loss to society to benefit a few workers.
I agree with some of what you said but "We Can" rebuild the manufacturing base by having affordable energy,smarter use of our resourses,sensible taxes regulations and a good transportation infrastructure [double-stack trains run through here everyday like clockwork I will take some new pics soon].Case in point is NUCOR STEEL non-union,profit share sacrifice for each other when times are bad so everyone can still work.Now that is the American Spirit I grew up with.... thar ain't no can't as in I can't do it...YES YOU CAN....

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,274,999 times
Quote:

On the Failed Job Creation Front, Obama Has Completely Run Out of Ideas - Forbes
I never understood why during the depths of the financial crisis, when nearly the entire country was on his side, instead of trying to push through legislation to help create jobs he instead decides to focus on his healthcare mandate which actually will hurt the economy and kill jobs.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,968,744 times
Quote:

Love it, one Repug speaker says the government does not create jobs and another says they will create jobs, all at the RNC, it would be better for you to at least all tell the same lies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies