Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I guess "s p i c and span", "c h i n k in the armor" need to be cleansed from our vocabulary.

Oh, and don't forget "n i g g a r d l y". ( an adjective meaning "stingy" or "miserly", perhaps related to the Old Norse verb nigla = "to fuss about small matters". It is cognate with "niggling", meaning "petty" or "unimportant", as in "the niggling details".

That word lost some poor stiff his job, IIRC.
Bad words can go good too. The word "Redneck" was a slur against some anglo white people; now, many white people and even a few Black ones say they're Rednecks. That word now means someone down to earth who works with their hands.

Redneck Bank They're real. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There must be a whole lot of dumbass liberal politicians out there then. I constantly see this kind of garbage coming out of the mouths of left of center politicians. You have to admit that, the man on the street might not care for censoring other people, but the leftist politicians sure do.
Half right. There are a whole lot of dumbass politicians.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not a "liberal" thing, it's a "dumbass" thing. And no, they aren't the same thing.
sure it is.....

Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 AM

359 posts, read 758,753 times
Default Typical diversity officer schedule

It is so frakking Orwellian that there even need be a tax-funded, full-time diversity officer. What a scam. Unfortunately, the Canadians and Brits among many, many others have adopted this and mutated it beyond all recognition. The Bible can be considered hate speech in Canada, an arrestable offense. In Britain, for example, If a child complains, "I'm fat," parents are told to discuss body diversity and how their ideals may lack diversity.

So is this what the D.O. schedule at the State Dept. looks like?

8 A.M. - Morning meeting. "O.k. everyone, go do a lot of diverse stuff out there!"

9 A.M. - 11 A.M. - Think about diversity for a few hours, Google diversity and copy/paste some hyperlinks onto a word document, print it out for your staff to research and gravely tell them you are "very concerned"

11 A.M. - 2 P.M. - Take the metro somewhere fancy to have lunch and be seen looking smug and prim in your $1,100 taxpayer funded suit with your "diverse" friends, likely to all be of your own race

3 P.M. - 3:05 P.M. - Decide that 'Hold down the fort' and other common phrases are offensive, spam the entire workforce with your Orwellian nonsense

3:05 P.M. - 4 P.M. - Update the CEO on your morning's ponderings, put yourself in for an award, and call it a day

Old 08-31-2012, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 785 times
Default Hold down the fot offensive???

[FONT=Helv][SIZE=2][FONT=Helv][SIZE=2]This person obviously a) has way too much time on his hands, b) is fighting hard to justify his continued employment, and c) is holding a job several levels above his qualified pay scale. Now, let's look at his inane examples.

For many Cherokees and Osage Indians, "the fort" was indeed a place of refuge and comfort, and they were very glad there were (frontier) people there to "hold down the fort" to protect them.

I was married for may years to a gal of Dutch decent. For her family, and the company her father worked for, known as Pella Roll-Screen back then, "Going Dutch" was a point of pride - not being excessive and not accepting gratuities in the form of gifts, meals and outings from vendors and suppliers. To suggest "Going Dutch" was an offer of respect to people of Dutch decent. It's only Liberals who take offense.

About that "rule of thumb" thing. The phrase is so old and antiquated, and has been integrated into so many languages and social colloquialisms, that it holds no offensive connotation to anyone except Liberals looking for something to complain about, or women old enough to have actually suffered under it's original application. To apply the rule of law known as "standing," where one has to demonstrate that they are directly affected or impinged on by the act, activity or regulation, there is nobody alive today who can claim legal "standing," unless they are somewhere in excess of 150 years old. So . . . . . . get over it.

I'm surprised about the "handicapped" term. About the only folks any more who apply that term to people are a) those who name the special "Handicapped Parking" places with the blue signs with a stylized person in a wheelchair, b) Liberals who make laws governing the treatment of folks with disabilities, which term in itself many find offensive, and c) *n*l retentive folks looking for something to complain about - you know - Liberals.

As for the "Black and Tans" of early 20th century Ireland, the majority of the few living people who suffered under them, in other words, those with legal "standing," are either in nursing homes or family elder care, and almost none would be wearing Nike sports shoes in the first place. Most living people today would know a "Black and Tan" as a layered bar drink made from a layer of half a glass of Pale Ale (usually Bass), with a layer on top of half a glass of dark beer or stout (usually a Guinness). Very few people alive today outside Great Britain even know about the Irish paramilitaries know as the Black & Tans, except, of course, for *n*l retentive Liberals (sorry, that's redundant, isn't it), looking for something to complain about.

So, my Rule of Thumb, when dealing with overbearing politically correct people, is to Hold Down the Fort of established colloquial traditions, call up a friend to see if they would like to Go Dutch to the closest Baker Street Pub, and enjoy a few cool Black and Tans while we ridicule the absurdity and inanity of Political Correctness. Try it some time. It's quite enjoyable.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
That's pretty stupid. I particularily hate the white-washing of history as it is a disservice to our youth.

For example, the "racist" phrase "He doesn't have a chinamens chance" referred to the highly dangerous work that chinese laborers performed in helping build the transcontinental railroad.

The largely used Irish on the eastern end of things....cheap, expendable labor.

Just like the people that want Tom Sawyer and Huck finn banned.....yeah, lets scour history so future generations have no idea about how we used to treat people. Grrrrrrr..............

Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times
These days everything is offensive to somebody .It is gotten so silly and stupid.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Damn I can use this twice in two consecutive threads...

Fo'shizzles my nizzles.....

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Crack pipe that is......

Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Gosh, now I'm worried!

I just told someone who was having a problem with a pdf file to 'shoot it over to me'. He's Indian, but not Native American, so hopefully, he didn't take it the wrong way!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Gosh, now I'm worried!

I just told someone who was having a problem with a pdf file to 'shoot it over to me'. He's Indian, but not Native American, so hopefully, he didn't take it the wrong way!

Uh oh circle the wagons....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies