Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,937 times

Advertisements

I have generally voted for Democrats but I am seriously considering switching over and becoming a Republican. I am sick of paying so much of my relatively modest income in taxes, and having nothing good come from it. I would be happy to pay taxes if the government actually got stuff done. If everyone had health care, schools were well funded, etc..., than it would be worth paying so much in taxes. But it is ridiculous how much money we have to pay in taxes in this country, and yet the government still can't figure out how to get stuff done. No wonder so many of my friends are Republicans. I don't mind being generous and helping people but its ridiculous to have the government waste so much of our money. With all the taxes Americans pay, the government should have no problem fixing health care and education, among other things.

I am finally starting to see where you Conservatives are coming from all these years. Many of you aren't really heartless after all. You are probably just sick of seeing the government waste your money and not even help anyone with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Fiscal responsibility is not possible under this POTUS and Senate majority leader Reid. Their fiscally irresponsible actions and policies have been resounding proof of that.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I have generally voted for Democrats but I am seriously considering switching over and becoming a Republican. I am sick of paying so much of my relatively modest income in taxes, and having nothing good come from it. I would be happy to pay taxes if the government actually got stuff done. If everyone had health care, schools were well funded, etc..., than it would be worth paying so much in taxes. But it is ridiculous how much money we have to pay in taxes in this country, and yet the government still can't figure out how to get stuff done. No wonder so many of my friends are Republicans. I don't mind being generous and helping people but its ridiculous to have the government waste so much of our money. With all the taxes Americans pay, the government should have no problem fixing health care and education, among other things.

I am finally starting to see where you Conservatives are coming from all these years. Many of you aren't really heartless after all. You are probably just sick of seeing the government waste your money and not even help anyone with it.
Let me ask you this: Is the answer to get our leaders to do their jobs, or to abolish programs and institutions that, when funded properly, are good for society as a whole? That's the question we all should be asking.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 PM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

I was in line last week at a local discount grocery store picking up a couple things when I witness someting very unusual. The person in line ahead of me purchased several boxes of store brand soft drinks which he paid for with a food stamp card. As soon as the transaction was complete the cashier immediately handed him a few dollars and some coins. The card holder then left the soda at the counter and the cashier set them aside to ring me up. I asked the cashier why he didn't take his soda and he explained that he routinely purchases soda for no other purpose than returning the empties. The store personnel grew tired of dealing with the mess outside where he would pour them on the ground and now simply give him the money he would otherwise receive for the can deposit. Of course the store gets to resell the soda.

It all comes down to one word, "accountability".

Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
I have no issue investing money. I have issue with flushing it down the toilet.
The problem isn't even with the diminished returns of taxes, it's the waste.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:45 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Step one; Defund the UN.

Then kick that group of cackling hens to some other country that pays them lip service.

That would free up an enormous amount of money.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Fiscal responsibility is not possible under this POTUS and Senate majority leader Reid. Their fiscally irresponsible actions and policies have been resounding proof of that.
There is no fiscal responsibility under Speaker Boehner either. First he gives Democrats $120 billion in new spending for their vote to extend the 2001 tax cuts, then he cannot find more than $7 billion to cut from a $1.65 trillion deficit. Finally, Speaker Boehner was not able to pass a budget, for the fifth consecutive year, which makes him no different than the fiscally irresponsible Speaker Pelosi. He may have an "R" after his name, but he is just as fiscally irresponsible as any Democrat.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
I have come to realize that by far, the best use of my money is to either save it for retirement, or spend it and circulate it in the economy. There really isn't ANYTHING our government can do with my money that would be more productive than that, considering that our government does not defend our nation's borders AT ALL, and that any charity I consider honorable I would like to support without wasting money going through the incredibly inefficient government.

First of all, the amount of money wasted (or used for their own purposes) by government is a huge percentage. But even when spending money on charitable programs for the deserving poor, is that really the best way to improve their lot? Remember, we've already spent over $5 trillion in America in the "War on Poverty," and are we any better off? Why the War on Poverty Failed | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty Hardly.

I truly believe that if that amount of money (largely confiscated from the working class, since it is worker's wages that are taxed most heavily) had been left in the hands of those who earned it, not only would those people be much better off--but the ripple effect in the economy would have benefitted many others in addition. Instead we allow government to grow itself using the excuse of "helping the needy" and "protecting America," and end up with a monstrous and corrupt behemoth that strangles the very economy it parasitizes off of.

It hasn't worked. It can't work. Our government is far too efficient at equalizing (via income taxes) those who work insanely hard, with those who don't work at all. You can't guarantee everyone in the population the same quality of life whether they work or not, because soon almost everyone will decide it's not worth the cost of time and energy to work.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:30 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Fiscal Responsibility last existed due to the teamwork of Clinton & Gingrich. Since the 70s, no other leaders balanced a budget. That makes all of them fiscally bankrupt.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is no fiscal responsibility under Speaker Boehner either. First he gives Democrats $120 billion in new spending for their vote to extend the 2001 tax cuts, then he cannot find more than $7 billion to cut from a $1.65 trillion deficit. Finally, Speaker Boehner was not able to pass a budget, for the fifth consecutive year, which makes him no different than the fiscally irresponsible Speaker Pelosi. He may have an "R" after his name, but he is just as fiscally irresponsible as any Democrat.
well said. i had high hopes that boehner and company would be better than the democrats that preceded them, but he is compromising far too much.

in the end unless we get true conservatives in both houses of congress, we are not going to get spending under control, and as a consequence there are going to be calls for higher taxes, even though they wont produce the results people are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies