Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times

Advertisements

A mental institution is like a prison or worse. And it requires locking people up, holding them against their will and they may have done nothing wrong to anyone. Just act abnormal or weird.

There is money for mental health treatment -- for example look at all the drugs for mental illness like prozac, ritalin, zoloft, xanax, librium, ativan and so on that are prescribed. I would almost bet money that the mental illness drugs are a very significant money maker for the pharmaceuticals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 AM

635 posts, read 540,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
So you would rather have dangerous mentally ill individuals wandering the streets and maybe into your home to kill you and your family?
Why would they be wandering the streets? You are aware that people can be institutionalized by court decree, right? Not like they can just choose to leave the state hospital when they feel like it.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A mental institution is like a prison or worse. And it requires locking people up, holding them against their will and they may have done nothing wrong to anyone. Just act abnormal or weird.

There is money for mental health treatment -- for example look at all the drugs for mental illness like prozac, ritalin, zoloft, xanax, librium, ativan and so on that are prescribed. I would almost bet money that the mental illness drugs are a very significant money maker for the pharmaceuticals.
Most mentally ill patients in institutions are not locked up. One of my childhood friends is a PsyD working at a mental hospital in Manhattan. They live very fulfilling lives while being treated. I've visited him there (we hit up lunch whenever I'm in the city) and the institution looks like a big resort with lots of amenities. It depends on the illness whether you can live a fulfilling life or not... but most mentally ill are not in a state where they must be confined in a single room.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:33 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,280,139 times
The overwhelming majority of inmates are there for drug charges, whether mentally ill or not.

The "War on Drugs" is lost. If you decriminalise, and treat addiction like the disease it is you will automatically save billions of dollars...and millions of lives.

Only those with violent tendencies should be incarcerated. Those who commit crimes against children should never be released.

There, problem solved.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:50 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,222,224 times
IMO all mentally ill people should be sent to California, the capital of the nutjobs....

Old 09-02-2012, 12:51 AM

635 posts, read 540,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
IMO all mentally ill people should be sent to California, the capital of the nutjobs....
Well, since we seem to be doing all the innovating, I suppose there's something to be said for being a nut job - sure beats raping cows in Kansas, at least.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Well, since we seem to be doing all the innovating, I suppose there's something to be said for being a nut job - sure beats raping cows in Kansas, at least.
You really think that's true?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:16 AM

14,707 posts, read 14,685,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
They already live in the streets of California, usually sent there from other states. Essentially California is taking care of the nation's homeless problem.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:38 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,305,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You unfairly stigmatize the mentally ill. Most mentally ill people are not violent criminals, and why should they be locked up? Many mentally ill can even hold down jobs, live productive lives. It's wrong to stereotype them as all dangerous and insist that we need to lock them all up and throw away the key -- "just in case".

How would you like to be locked up in a mental institution? And think back to how it was -- someone with Alzheimers back then would be hauled off to the funny farm to live out their days -- and that had to be terrifying. Who decides who is too eccentric or talks to himself too much and needs to be locked away? They used to lock up homosexuals too because that was also considered a mental illness.

Someone like the Aurora theater shooter is dangerous and needs to be kept in prison.
Not sure if I would described hospitalization "locked up". If that was the case, most people I know have been locked up. Almost all pregnant women have been locked up

Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most mentally ill patients in institutions are not locked up. One of my childhood friends is a PsyD working at a mental hospital in Manhattan. They live very fulfilling lives while being treated. I've visited him there (we hit up lunch whenever I'm in the city) and the institution looks like a big resort with lots of amenities. It depends on the illness whether you can live a fulfilling life or not... but most mentally ill are not in a state where they must be confined in a single room.
NOW they are not locked up. Many are treated as outpatients.

This is not what "institution" means though. You were not free to come and go as you pleased when you were taken to the mental institution or funny farm or insane asylum. You were held against your will. You were subjected to all sorts of things against your will.

That was my point. Today someone with a mental illness can work, can live next door to you, they might even be your boss. The pharmaceutical companies supply more psychotropic drugs than ever before -- not to inpatients but to outpatients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies