Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times

Advertisements

Conservatives and Liberals Have Different Brains, Studies Show - ABC News

Conservatives and liberals may have one less thing in common: neurology.

ProCon.org has gathered 13 peer-reviewed studies of behavioral and neurological studies and come to the conclusion that differences between Republicans and Democrats are more than skin-deep.

“Basically, the different sides have been yelling at each other for millennia, and we’re trying to figure out what could be the root cause of this,” said Steven Markoff, ProCon.org’s founder.

The studies looked at things like differences between groups’ perception of eye movement, and aversion to threatening noises.

Researchers noted Democrats had larger anterior cingulate cortexes, which are associated with tolerance to uncertainty, while Republicans had larger right amygdalas, which are associated with sensitivity to fear.

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
There's already countless topics on the same exact thing dating back to 2010

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
If only the population could be neatly distilled down to two camps.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
No doubt this study comes from one of the mysterious liberal think tanks. What makes them mysterious is we all know liberals are incapable of thought, and run on instinct.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I don't really buy this. I would guess that the big divide is between moderate people, who believe in pursuing information, moderating their positions based on knowledge, and recognizing that there could be more than one position on an issue, and hard core partisans. Hard core partisans seem to search specifically for information that confirms their position.

It is also the difference between a scholar or scientist and a lawyer. The former pursue information to get at the truth. The latter do research to win. I think the current GOP is more larded over with partisans at this point in time, as they have shown intolerance of moderates. But the hard core liberals (think Berkeley, Boulder,etc.) can be pretty similar. I even have a scientist friend with a terrific mind, who drives me nuts, because he is always using his intellectual gifts to defend his position. Not surprisingly, he is respected as being highly intelligent, but is disregarded as a partisan enviro. wacko. He acts more like a lawyer than a scientist, which I strongly disagree with.

The Myers-Briggs has a much more nuanced view of thinking learning styles. Here is an interesting link with political implications:

The Pragmatist: Myers Briggs Personality Type and Political Affiliation

I am guessing the partisans are more likely sensing, judging people (who are the majority), who know what they know and don't care for new information that does not fit into their believe systems. Intuitive types, in contrast, find common knowledge a bit boring, and are always searching for newer, big picture insights. They are more intelligent, but will never rule in a democracy as they are no more than 25% of the population.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
So does that mean that Independents (Moderates) are the only ones with balanced minds, I like that train of thought and it makes sense

Old 09-03-2012, 10:19 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Conservatives and Liberals Have Different Brains, Studies Show

Yeah, I'm not so sure about all that.

For decades, I considered myself a conservative and voted republican. I now strongly oppose almost everything in their agenda.

I haven't changed.

The GOP has.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So does that mean that Independents (Moderates) are the only ones with balanced minds, I like that train of thought and it makes sense
Yep, that is my point. But the link I provide above has much more to say on the topic.

The main point is, some people like to listen to idiots like Rush Limbaugh all day, primarily because he tells them what they want to hear. It never occurs to them that he IS LYING. I suppose the other fringe would be those who only listen to Democracy Now.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Yeah, I'm not so sure about all that.

For decades, I considered myself a conservative and voted republican. I now strongly oppose almost everything in their agenda.

I haven't changed.

The GOP has.
I was the other way around, but it is getting to be the other way around again!

I voted for Clinton the first time, then he lied and I voted for the other guy, who also lied.

This time I am thinking of not bothering to vote and just claiming from shining sea to shining sea as mine.

Basicly the hell with them, and just be free.

Just sick of lies and liars....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies