Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,492,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. I happen to think some of the leftism coming out of the younger generation is a result of peer pressure and not beliefs they have come up with on their own. If you are under 30 and admit to voting Republican, in most circles you will be ostracized because of it. There is a reason, even if only 30% or less of young people support conservatives, you don't hear them outspoken about it because of the hatred they will get from their peers.
Peer pressure? Lol

It's one thing to like smaller government and it's another thing to be against equality. You don't see gay people trying to ban straight marriage. Most people stay quiet about it because deep down they know it's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Peer pressure? Lol

It's one thing to like smaller government and it's another thing to be against equality. You don't see gay people trying to ban straight marriage. Most people stay quiet about it because deep down they know it's wrong.
Correct. But to be honest If some people hear you defending gay marriage they assume you must be gay. Is it a bad thing to be gay? I dont think so. It isnt the path people would opt for if they felt they had a choice given how they are treated.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,581,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Because they are denied the same rights you and I as straights enjoy. Demanding equal rights not more rights......
I met my wife over seas. Fell in love and sponsored her for a VISA. Gays do not have this right.
My wife will automatically receive SS benifits upon my death. Will a gay partner?? I dont know quite honestly.
well if you don't know, stop saying they are being denied. Get an IRA and you can leave it to whoever you choose in your will. Take care of your own business. If you meet a foreigner and want to bring em home with you, do it. You shouldn't need the gov'ts permission.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,837,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Peer pressure? Lol

One tenth of one percent? Why so much influence over society? GAY activist have in effect BANNED straight marriage...They have destroyed it's value and worth and importance. Now that a man can marry a man and call each other husband and wife...Marriage suddenly is not worth a hoot- How can you take the institution seriously now?

It's like cats demanding to be dogs...Once the cats gain the right to be dogs...The concept of dog disappears.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
One tenth of one percent? Why so much influence over society? GAY activist have in effect BANNED straight marriage...They have destroyed it's value and worth and importance. Now that a man can marry a man and call each other husband and wife...Marriage suddenly is not worth a hoot- How can you take the institution seriously now?

It's like cats demanding to be dogs...Once the cats gain the right to be dogs...The concept of dog disappears.
you're giving others too much power over YOUR marriage... the problem lies in you...
their marriage is theirs... yours is yours....

gays will be allowed to marry very soon.. and rightly so!
to those of you who think that it's socially acceptable to be pro-gay and that's why people feel that way.. I beg to differ! I'm old enough to remember when being pro-gay was NOT cool, or socially acceptable, and yet they still fought in the face of adversity for what they believed was their rights and equal treatment under the law.
If you disagree or feel like the tables are turning on you because the majority doesn't still share your view thats one thing.. but don't reach for straws to justify everyone else's evolution on the issue to support your unwavering unsupportive stance! own it.. it's yours.. nobody should be able to deny you your right to YOUR opinion, that feeling you feel though is called the tables being turned.. it's uncomfortable sometimes getting the short end of the stick isn't it? just be glad the only thing you lose is favor of your opinion and not your actual rights. Their marriage has NOTHING to do with marriage as a whole and how you define YOUR OWN. if you think it does.. you've given them too much credit.. because they don't really care about your marriage.. just theirs..

Last edited by boiseguy; 09-06-2012 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. I happen to think some of the leftism coming out of the younger generation is a result of peer pressure and not beliefs they have come up with on their own. If you are under 30 and admit to voting Republican, in most circles you will be ostracized because of it. There is a reason, even if only 30% or less of young people support conservatives, you don't hear them outspoken about it because of the hatred they will get from their peers.
I agree with this..........my youngest is 19 and has been a Republican since he was 12, he likes politics and stood out in school because of it. Teachers and students made fun of him. He had a teacher in 7th grade who told him he was wrong and not very educated to think the way he was thinking...... So much for not letting your opinion influnce the way one teaches class. He is now reserved how he speaks and who he speaks to about politics, there was a time in school he didn't fit in, when debating politics he was one of the few who had some knowledge about America/world events.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,581,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Correct. But to be honest If some people hear you defending gay marriage they assume you must be gay. Is it a bad thing to be gay? I dont think so. It isnt the path people would opt for if they felt they had a choice given how they are treated.
They are treated just fine, as a matter of fact they are in fashion nowadays, protected by laws that make them special and cannot be denied, just because they are twisted. That's not fair to the rest of us.
I can't run a marathon, should I demand to be made equal? No. We are not equal in that sense, we are not the same. Marriage works as the bedrock of society, mom plus dad plus children. A man is a man, a woman is a woman, just because gays confuse the two doesn't mean you get to impose that confusion upon the rest of society. We know what a family is and how it contributes to the health of the whole. You are taking bits and pieces, throwing them together, and calling it something it isn't. You are degrading society by pretending lesbians and homosexuals are normal, NO they are not. They should be treated like anybody else, no more no less. They can't meet the definition of marriage, that's all there is to it. Make a contract, make a union, but we will not recognize what that is as "marriage". PERIOD

Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post

Influence over society? I think the goal is to be equal in society not to control it. Our tax and legal system favors marriages. Gay couples just want the same benefits nothing more.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
They are treated just fine, as a matter of fact they are in fashion nowadays, protected by laws that make them special and cannot be denied, just because they are twisted. That's not fair to the rest of us.
I can't run a marathon, should I demand to be made equal? No. We are not equal in that sense, we are not the same. Marriage works as the bedrock of society, mom plus dad plus children. A man is a man, a woman is a woman, just because gays confuse the two doesn't mean you get to impose that confusion upon the rest of society. We know what a family is and how it contributes to the health of the whole. You are taking bits and pieces, throwing them together, and calling it something it isn't. You are degrading society by pretending lesbians and homosexuals are normal, NO they are not. They should be treated like anybody else, no more no less. They can't meet the definition of marriage, that's all there is to it. Make a contract, make a union, but we will not recognize what that is as "marriage". PERIOD
actually, you're wrong... I can be fired or denied employment or housing for being gay in the state of idaho, because in idaho.. gay is not a protected class.. which is what you're inferring..

In a perfect world, nobody should have to be a protected class.. but until you are a certain minority that is discriminated against for who you are.. you will never understand why it's needed. People DO indeed discriminate against someone for something that they cannot change in who they are! it makes for the market place to be skewed to an unfair advantage for these people when it comes to employment, housing, etc..

Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Not normal? Being gay isn't some new fad, or some new phenomenon, it's a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies