Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I do care, but the Republicans in Congress don't. They've blocked every single jobs bill forwarded by the President. Republicans are only concerned about defeating Obama... they don't care if they destroy America along the way.
Well, don't know who you got your brainwashing from - but if you stopped for even 3 seconds and thought this one through . . . you would realize just how ridiculous your statement is.

Now why on earth would GOP want to destroy America, when Republicans are known for being business owners, charitable contributors and church-going folks? The LAST thing they want is to "destroy" America. The biggest concern is DEBT which IS destroying America.

You get out of DEBT by generating more revenue (JOBS, PRODUCTS) and by decreasing expenditures.

What part of America do you think the GOP wants to destroy?

Stop listening to the silly sound-bytes from DEMs who throw some chum out into the water to their supporters to churn up the sharks. Your "destroy America" line does NOT make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
I do care, but the Republicans in Congress don't. They've blocked every single jobs bill forwarded by the President. Republicans are only concerned about defeating Obama... they don't care if they destroy America along the way.
One can say the same about the dems. They only care about give away programs knowing that more people want hand outs than work to pay for those handouts. Simple math keep promising give aways and they can win. Who cares if it is bad for the country as long as they are in power.

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
And if you listen to liberal idiots, you'd think there isn't a problem. To look at this as a great success or turn around is foolish
No one said it was a great success. America was in free-fall when Bush left office. Obama stopped the bleeding and has steadily guided us on the path to recovery. We are recovering slowly but surely but there are global forces working against us from without and Republicans working against us from within. Yet America continue to rise. I don't know about you, but I ain't about to bet against my country. America is coming back, we are not in decline as Republicans would have you believe.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
There is a lot of error in these reports and being that the labor participation rate actually dropped (which just means people are going to school, got a job that is not accounted for correctly in the other survey, or no longer want a job for whatever reason), it would show the opposite. Also these numbers are not from the same survey (two different ones) even though they are reported together. This can lead to strange inconsitencies (which people will commonly say there is manipulation going on out of ignornace of how they collect the numbers).
I'm aware of all this.... I'm very familiar that the establishment and household surveys are different, etc.

As far as the participation rate dropping because people are going to school, got a job that is not accounted for in the other survey, or no longer want a job, did you say that with a straight face? Most of them gave up looking because they couldn't find jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
For a long term average though, you are correct. Usually you want mid 100K to hold the line.
125,000-150,000 or so....

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
The Unemployment rate has fallen to 8.1% with the latest jobs report, but if you listen to Republicans you would think the country is on the brink of collapse. As Joe Biden said last night to Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan: "NEVER EVER BET AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE". Republicans continue to bet against America and it's sad. Their's is a depressing message of America in decline and a defeatist ideology that we can't solve our problems as a nation.

On the other hand, President Obama and the Democrats offered an uplifting and positive message of America on the comeback last night. That is what I want to hear as an American. I want to hear about American possibility and the things we can achieve as a nation if we put our minds to it. We are on our way to a full recovery. This is not time to doubt ourselves, this is time to believe in ourselves. That is why I am re-electing Barack Obama.
You continue to bet on a liar...........

"First, Obama's economic advisers promised the stimulus would keep the unemployment rate below 8 percent. In 2012, the unemployment rate was supposed to fall below 6 percent. The prediction was not meant to be taken lightly. In a January 2009 radio address, Obama announced he was releasing a report based on "rigorous analysis" that charted unemployment through 2013 so "the American people can see exactly what this plan will mean for their families."

The Five Biggest Failures From President Obama's Stimulus Law - US News and World Report

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Not enough to account for population growth.

UE fell because of people dropping out of the labor force.
I think the economists say that we need to add something like 150,000 to 250,000 each month just to keep up with the normal ebb and flow of new people coming into the work force, people switching jobs etc... When we create 96,000 jobs, Obama will brag about it, and add it to his mythical "4 million jobs created," but its actually a net loss in jobs. Every month that we fail to create enough jobs, it subtracts from our total US work force.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:13 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
Quote:
No one said it was a great success. America was in free-fall when Bush left office. Obama stopped the bleeding and has steadily guided us on the path to recovery. We are recovering slowly but surely but there are global forces working against us from without and Republicans working against us from within. Yet America continue to rise. I don't know about you, but I ain't about to bet against my country. America is coming back, we are not in decline as Republicans would have you believe.
The free fall, as you put it, had already stopped before anything Obama did was inacted. We would've recovered faster and smoother if it weren't for Obama and the democrats.
Just getting him out of office is going to do wonders. If he loses in Nov things will start to really improve due to a new real confidence alone.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
The Republican House has passed quite a few jobs bills that weren't even considered in the Senate or by Obama. Obama has been telling them to pass his jobs bill while ignoring theirs.

Elections have consequences...the American people said in 2010 that they were sick of Obama and the Democrats having complete control. Why should things have not changed? Obama needed to compromise if he wanted what he wanted passed to be passed. The Republicans also needed to compromise if they wanted what they wanted passed to be passed. Why should only the Republicans compromise when the American people elected them because they didn't want the Democrats to continue to have control of everything?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
The free fall, as you put it, had already stopped before anything Obama did was inacted.

For the most part, yes. The recession ended in June 2009 before most of Obama's policies went into effect and before most stimulus spending started. GDP growth was actually much stronger in late 2009 than in 2010, 2011, etc. once his policies had more of an effect.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
The free fall, as you put it, had already stopped before anything Obama did was inacted. We would've recovered faster and smoother if it weren't for Obama and the democrats.
Just getting him out of office is going to do wonders. If he loses in Nov things will start to really improve due to a new real confidence alone.
That is very true. Not having the specter of incoherent regulations on the horizon from an unpredictable administration on top of the unknown healthcare fiasco will do wonders in the business world. Democrats hate business and corporations though. All evil. Only the government knows how to run things in their eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies