Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Meanwhile Tom Morello is a hypocritical moron. He's a 1%'er. He's worth 60 million. He got rich from Capitalism, and he hates it?
He doesn't hate capitalism. He hates the psychology of bureaucratic capitalism that has corrupted true free-market capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
He doesn't hate capitalism. He hates the psychology of bureaucratic capitalism that has corrupted true free-market capitalism.
Oh, you mean the Obama kind?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Oh, you mean the Obama kind?
Do you ever TRY to think beyond your incredibly limiting partisan way of thinking? You should give it a try sometime. If you don't understand free-market capitalism and how it has not existed in this country for a very long time, you should really start doing some basic reading.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Do you ever TRY to think beyond your incredibly limiting partisan way of thinking? You should give it a try sometime. If you don't understand free-market capitalism and how it has not existed in this country for a very long time, you should really start doing some basic reading.
So Morello hates when bureaucrats decide winners and losers? Yeah, like the Obama kind of Capitalism where you "reward your friends and punish you enemies."

Old 09-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Do you ever TRY to think beyond your incredibly limiting partisan way of thinking?
Quote:
So Morello hates when bureaucrats decide winners and losers? Yeah, like the Obama kind of Capitalism where you "reward your friends and punish you enemies."
I'll take that as a 'no'.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Virtually every time the right hijacks songs from artists, they are immediately slammed by the artist and served with cease and desist papers, and at the DNC is the latest case.

Fox was trolling the DNC by using the song "losing my religion" from REM, and was immediately met with outrage from the band, with lead singer Michael Stipe stating:
“We have little or no respect for their puff adder brand of reportage,” lead singer Michael Stipe said. “Our music does not belong there.”

The right wing machine needs to stick to their he-haw and country music

R.E.M. orders Fox News to stop playing ‘Losing My Religion’ during DNC | The Raw Story
The article states: "...unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song." If true, pretty dumb of Fox, and a failure of Journalism 101.

Quote:
Exactly like that guy. Just as he pleaded guilty, so too should Fox.
He pleaded guilty to falsifying documents.

Quote:
Article: Fairey pleaded guilty in February to misdemeanor contempt of court charges for destroying documents and fabricating other paperwork during a copyright lawsuit involving an Associated Press photograph.[LEFT]
Read more: Obama

The copyright claim was settled out of court. The article also doesn't discuss if Fairey made any money off of the Hope poster.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
I can understand them wanting to shut down what the original napster and the like. Its copyrighted material and should be protected. Now they want to allow charge bars who let cover bands play their songs. Thats different and I cannot say I agree with it.
Why not? The bars and the bands are getting paid, why shouldn't the artists who wrote the songs? You don't think we've earned the right or the respect getting paid for our work?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I believe there is a little bit of a communication gap with the republicans on this thread. I don't think the point of the thread was whether the use of the music was legal, but the fact that so many artists disapprove of the Republicans using their music to promote their agenda...they don't want to be associated with the Republicans.

I know there are a lot of wannabe lawyers on this thread, but the thread is not about the law.
You did look at the link on #18 and #22. Oh, I seem to have forgot that leaners only look at links from their own kind.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Your link only illustrates the aspects of limited exclusive rights for authors. What are you trying to argue exactly? REM and Warner have to give permission for their work to be used and have the right to royalties when their property is used, depending on the agreement between REM and Warner that would be for the duration of either author's life plus 70 years or, if Warner is the majority owner, 120 years since authorship or 95 years since publication of the work. Corporate entities like Fox don't get to benefit from fair use, unless Fox was going to use the argument that it was critiquing the song, which obviously isn't the case. It was using the song to critique the DNC.

MSN can use Fox clips because the clips are being critiqued. The REM song was not being critiqued by Fox.

You should really learn about intellectual property law before accusing others of not knowing anything about the subject.
I am learning by reading. However, I am cheating and reading more than most. Are you ready to take your case to court? Just kidding. I learned, even from you this time.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
The article states: "...unlicensed and unauthorized use of the song." If true, pretty dumb of Fox, and a failure of Journalism 101.

He pleaded guilty to falsifying documents.

The copyright claim was settled out of court. The article also doesn't discuss if Fairey made any money off of the Hope poster.[/color]
Not always right, but settling out of court is often construed as an non-legally binding admission of guilt. I'm sure the photographer is making a nice bundle off that settlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies