Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,770,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Wow! Some pretty screwy views on what us Libertarians believe. Like those in the two main parties, we also run the spectrum but generally can be described as Socially Liberal and Fiscally Conservative. But, within those two general categories, there is much debate. Generally, we don't like ID's of any kind - but at the same time, no one likes people who are not US citizens voting and deciding our nation's leaders. You will find Libertarians who are more conservative on this issue than others, but that is what you get with liberty.

I agree. Voter ID is not a key Libertarian issue. There are hundreds of other issues more important to Libertarians than voter ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think the coalman pretty much lays the issue to rest, but there is really a better question than the OP asks.

Why is it that Democrats are anti-command/control/enforcement on this one issue and this one issue only. I got a PMB (private mail box) in the 1990's when shopping on line was starting. During the Clinton admin there was a big push to crack down on the PMBs. In particular, pretty stringent ID requirements to open a PMB were started. Around 1987 I opened a PMB under a phony name, no problem. Back then I was a bit of a conspiracy theorist and was ordering some controversial reading material that I didn't want traceable to me.
Private Mail Boxes and the Right to Privacy | Edward L. Hudgins | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

When the PMB ID requirements were imposed, there were no complaints from the left. Same with "know your customer" another 1990's privacy invasion--no complaints from the left. As I recall my first passbook savings account was opened w/o ID. I opened it before I was 16, so I'm sure I would not have had ID. ID requirements were imposed somewhere along the line--no yowls from the left. The Gun Control Act of 68 required ID to buy a gun--no yowls. The Brady Act added an FBI background check--no yowls.

Why is it that on just this one single issue, the left decides to be anti command-and-control?
Personally, I would be ok with voter identification under a few things I think need to be addressed first:

1. Who's to say the Driver's License isn't a fake ID? I'm sure everyone on this board that went to college knows at least half a dozen people who had a fake driver's license. If in person voter-fraud was really such an issue - how does an ID help?

2. Let's assume the agreed-upon forms of ID aren't an issue - perfectly fine to implement something like voter-ID law, but first, you must go through every registered voter in your state and ensure they receive or already have proper ID to be able to vote. Anyone who is not already registered, the registration process will have an accompanying form for them to obtain a FREE ID that fits the requirements.

let's be honest - whether you support voter ID requirements or not (and polls do show around 70% of Americans do support the concept)...the recently implemented laws in many states are recently implemented for a very specific reason.

So here's my proposed solution:

On November 7th, 2012, every state in the nation draft a voter-ID law and pass it. Then, the states can start working through their registration rolls and validating everyone that is registered has the proper form of ID.

The funny thing is...virtually all voter fraud is in the form of absentee ballots or backroom ballot stuffing. And there should be pretty easy ways to prevent that - yet we don't take steps on that. I always wondered why....

Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Say what?

Only someone not born in these United States of America, or is already deceased, don't have that luxury.
I was born on a Friday, but it was not last Friday.

I see you totally side stepped my questions.

I'll ask this one again...
Who doesn't have one?
Tell me the case, where they are hard to obtain, since you made the statement.
elderly, primarily, are the folks that don't have birth certificates. when you have people that are 80-100 years old in your society, and back then, birth certificates weren't always issued because people weren't always born in hospitals...not everyone has them.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Actually it is not hard at all, to see the documented proof, people that are not suppose to be voting, casting ballots.
Illegals were encouraged and allowed to vote in Nevada's 2010 mid-terms.
How many dead people voted in 2008?

Shall I google it for everyone?
can you show a case where voter ID would have prevented the dead person from voting?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Where is yours? Tell you what, I'll cite one reference for every reference you can cite that shows no voter fraud exists. I'll start with this one:

That's 11 votes from one person.
how would voter ID have prevented that person's illegal votes?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you go to democratic sites, you will see their racist material too. after all, liberals cannot stand christians at all, and even booed god for their national platform. hard to say you are tolerant, when you cannot even stand being around christians.
about 85% of the county is christian - and somewhere around 55% are registed democrats....where exactly do you get that liberals cannot stand christians when many of them are?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
about 85% of the county is christian - and somewhere around 55% are registed democrats....where exactly do you get that liberals cannot stand christians when many of them are?

Where did you come up with these numbers? mASSACHUSETTS , WHERE DEMS OUTNUMBER REPUBS 3-1 still has more independants then dem and repub combined.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM

994 posts, read 1,593,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why haven't I seen CATO or the Reason Foundation do a piece on voter ID laws? That's how I know libertarians are closet conservatives. They never rally with liberals on any issue.
Well, I'm sort of a libertarian and I oppose all ID laws. I don't believe in drivers licenses or ID cards or forcing anyone to brand themselves for some stupid ABC division of Uncle $am or the State.Gov. CATO and the Reason Foundation are just looking for $$$$$$, that's all.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
can you show a case where voter ID would have prevented the dead person from voting?
Is there any group that goes back over the election votes after the fact to verify only living citizens have voted ?

Do local, state governments do any verification on election votes after the fact ?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 PM

78,548 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Isn't that weird? I don't know why they just don't say they are conservatives. Real libertarians are fiscal conservatives and social liberals.
I'm a fiscal con\social lib but I'm independant and not libertarian.

I think the problem here is that to anyone on the faaaaar left or right automatically labels people that they disagree with as being a Conservative or a Liberal. I find it especially common because if you don't fire back with name calling but just logically debate, it generally flusters them and they run off.

So in fairness, consider the source(s) of the people trying to label libertarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies