Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you better off since Obama took office?
Yes, life is good under Obama 39 44.83%
Neutral 8 9.20%
No, I'm worse off now that I was 4 years ago 40 45.98%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Go back and read what Katiana said. It obviously didn't sink in the first time. There is a difference between personal responsibility and the reality of one's situation.
No, I understand people have reasons for not moving. My point is that if yo CHOOSE to stay, then you'll just have to live with that choise and refrain from trying to blame other people for the misery you created for yourself. Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are unemployed, and there are no jobs locally, but there are plenty of jobs in other areas, but you choose to NOT move, and instead decide to stay and cry about your situation and blame Obama, then you are just being ridiculous. That's my opinon. Such people act like losers. If you decide to stay, then that is your choise and you need to take responsibility for your choise. Do they really think Romney is going to create a job for everyone whereever they migh want to reside? No, he will not do that.
I don't really think anyone is doing that, on this thread anyway. I know a number of people in their 50s who have made the decision NOT to move again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The program was designed to front-load the costs: ten years of costs for six years of benefits.

As soon as it was announced the major insurers began raising premiums. Pricing for products in a recession is critical to maintaining market position - companies are reluctant to pass along the higher costs. Hence, they eat it.
I would like to see an explanation of this from the person who made the post. On this board, it seems that some people have seen large raises in premiums (above the usual annual rate), and some have not.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM

174 posts, read 95,977 times
I ain't any better off since Nixon.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't really think anyone is doing that, on this thread anyway. I know a number of people in their 50s who have made the decision NOT to move again.
I know people who do nothing but complain about their situation, and yet they refuse to do anything about it. Those are the people I am talking about. If you have reasons to not move, then don't move, but it is dishonest to blame other people for the choises you made.

Quote:
I would like to see an explanation of this from the person who made the post. On this board, it seems that some people have seen large raises in premiums (above the usual annual rate), and some have not.
I'd like to hear it too. Price of healthcare has been doubling every seven years, so 10% has been average over the years, but all of a sudden it's all Obamacare's fault. My insurance didn't go up at all.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-09-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The politicians, well those from one party anyway, is making a big deal about are you better off today than you were four years ago, and blaming it on the current occupant of the WH. You can't have it both ways.

The Republicans have made a mockery of "personal responsibilty". Is it personally responisble to uproot your family, make you spouse quit his/her job (which may be paying quite well, or at least adequately), take your kids out of their schools to take a new job across the country?

My husband has worked in engineering for 30+ years; he has been laid off three times and changed jobs just ahead of a layoff once. Before you say, "he's just a lousy engineer" let me say that he has always gotten the highest possible job ratings, merit pay, etc. It's the nature of the beast, especially outside of the DC area. Someone else posted this one time on the ed forum, referring to the continual job search that engineers go through.

Why would I ever say he's a lousy engineer?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
This poll is inconsequential. We should be asking ourselves if the nation is better or worse off. I would gladly vote for, and work on a campaign for, any elected official who made life better for his/her constituents, even if I were worse off. The inverse is also true, and is my basis for a 2012 ANTI-Obama vote.

It's best to consider the country as a whole, & the future, when voting for a president of the country.
It seems that many are short sighted - both in time & in people they consider.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Why would I ever say he's a lousy engineer?
That's a common response to anyone saying someone got laid off, etc. I've seen it many times. My daughter was absolutely excoriated on this forum when I said something about how difficult it was for her to get a job after graduating from college in 2009. I was just anticipating someone saying so, not necessarily you.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:33 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I look around me and I'm just baffled by Obama's approval rating. I cannot see where he has done anything to improve the economy. Un/underemployment (especially among women and minorities) is at an all time high. I drive down my street and see vacant houses that families had to just walk away from. The National debt is staggering.

My question, to you, is are YOU better off since Obama took office? If so, what has Obama improved in your life?
I remember when there were daily posts in 2008 and 2009 about how the President was going to destroy the economy, based on what was happening on Wall Street. The DJIA numbers were being posted daily, with comments from folks like Sanrene, "He is truly going to bury this economy" and Malamute "Communist nations don't need stock markets and that's why Obama is doing all he can to destroy the stock market".

But looking at the long term data......

President / Dow Jones Industrial Average
President Clinton / 3,256; ---> 10,857.
President Bush / 10,857 -------> 7,949
President Obama / 7,949 -----> 13,306

So it has almost doubled during one of the worst economic slumps since the 1930s.

Not bad for someone who was going to destroy the economy.

Moving on to employment, I'm not sure if it ever will get better, using the business models we have today.
Last week I saw a construction project of a garage being built with robots - everything but electrical wiring. While it was just done as a college project, how soon before even those jobs go the way of the elevator operator. When I started working in the early 70's, just about everyone or group had a secretary or a clerk in a office setting - today, very few, technology killed off that job, which has created more demand for fewer positions.) Factories have also reduced the numbers needed greatly. Auto companies now employ a thousand robots on the line, where there use to be 10,000 people.

So, I don't expect the unemployment levels to change much, no matter who is president, unless their is a major government sponsored back-to-work program, something which the current congress will never grant.

Getting health care has just improved for millions. It might not be perfect, but at least somebody thought enough of the citizens of the country, to try and do something.

So, am I better off. I'm still working full time, my investments are going up, my rental properties are full.

So yes, I am better off today, then I was when the current president took office?
Yes I Am.
Could it be better? It can always be better.
Would it be better with Romney (or McCain)? I doubt it.

Last edited by plannine; 09-09-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times
let me see~ since Obama became president~ we'e offered healthcare to all of our 30 construction workers

My assets have about doubled~ I've bought a house and its almost paid for~ my takehome has about doubled.

Now if my tax percentage was as low as Romneys I'd be better but to do the I'd have to sell my business~fire our workers and invest in oversees companies so I would only pay capital gains instead of income.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I look around me and I'm just baffled by Obama's approval rating. I cannot see where he has done anything to improve the economy. Un/underemployment (especially among women and minorities) is at an all time high. I drive down my street and see vacant houses that families had to just walk away from. The National debt is staggering.

My question, to you, is are YOU better off since Obama took office? If so, what has Obama improved in your life?

my retirement is alot better off and i can retire alot earlier than age 67, but my everyday life is alot flipping worse than it was 4 years ago. plus the fact that obama has lied alot more than clinton or bush ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies