Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

The Federal Govt. owns 650 million acres of land. IF they sold every acre for 10K, a very modest number considering most of the land is out west where they have oil and mineral deposits it should go for much more, you could generate 6 trillion.

This is not a new concept. I believe Jackson sold federal land to pay off the national debt. Take a look at Arizona and Nevada. Huge amount of govt. land that could be sold.

Preview Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
No thanks. Not interested. Arizona (my home state) has enough mining and Bed, Bath, and Beyond's. Not to mention we have enough cookie cutter housing to make my head hurt.

No to the land sale. Leasing it doesn't bother me, but that's about it. If they wanna sell land, do it somewhere else other than the Southwest.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM

635 posts, read 539,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The Federal Govt. owns 650 million acres of land. IF they sold every acre for 10K, a very modest number considering most of the land is out west where they have oil and mineral deposits it should go for much more, you could generate 6 trillion.

This is not a new concept. I believe Jackson sold federal land to pay off the national debt. Take a look at Arizona and Nevada. Huge amount of govt. land that could be sold.

Preview Map
10 grand an acre? So it would have to be sold off incrementally, because putting 650,000,000 acres up for sale at once would send the value of the land plummeting.

Further, is there that much demand for remote land in the middle of nowhere? How much will it cost to bring infrastructure to the land that was bought?

Afraid I don't see a lot of profit coming from this - now, I do think the feds don't get nearly enough money licensing the land for oil/timber/grazing/etc.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Picture this....Starbucks, Wallyworld and McDonalds right smack in the middle of the Grand Canyon.

Um..no thanks. Leave some untouched land so that future generations know that the US is not just asphalt and big box stores.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
10 grand an acre? So it would have to be sold off incrementally, because putting 650,000,000 acres up for sale at once would send the value of the land plummeting.

Further, is there that much demand for remote land in the middle of nowhere? How much will it cost to bring infrastructure to the land that was bought?

Afraid I don't see a lot of profit coming from this - now, I do think the feds don't get nearly enough money licensing the land for oil/timber/grazing/etc.
Sure it would be an incremental sale. Who has 6 trillion in the bank. A lot of the land value in the west is based on mineral and oil deposits. The price would not plummet unless demand for those resources plummet as well, which is not happening right now.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Because it's not the gov't land to sell, it's OUR LAND. It belongs to the public. Open some of it up to the people, and we will make use of it. Timber, farming, housing, mining - the gov't has no right to confiscate this land from the people and tell us not to trespass. They sure as hell don't have the right to sell it, without us getting to vote on it.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
That land does not belong to the feds..... It belongs to all of us.... No Hell NO!

Now lets make the ones who took the loans and wasted the funds PAY UP instead!

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Picture this....Starbucks, Wallyworld and McDonalds right smack in the middle of the Grand Canyon.

Um..no thanks. Leave some untouched land so that future generations know that the US is not just asphalt and big box stores.
^^Agree completely.

635 posts, read 539,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Sure it would be an incremental sale. Who has 6 trillion in the bank. A lot of the land value in the west is based on mineral and oil deposits. The price would not plummet unless demand for those resources plummet as well, which is not happening right now.
A lot of the land? How much of it? And why not just raise the licensing fees? The federal government already allows private resource extraction on federal land.

BLM - The Bureau of Land Management

Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Some folks aren't happy unless there's an Applebees's and a Walmart at every freeway exit. I've had to get used to this attitude since i moved back from Europe.

I'm sick of the phrase "we're really growing" when it comes to development. Enough already. Americans need to sit their asses down for a change, breathe some clean air, and look out over an unscathed landscape for once in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies