Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I suppose you believe gold lost its worth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's certainly lost a BIG CHUNK of it.
Despite all the bullsh*t hype from you goldbugs, there's NOTHING special about gold. It's a commodity like any other, it rises and falls. If you time it right you can make a lot of money, if not, you can lose a BUNDLE. There's NOTHING safe about investing in gold and for the most part gold hawkers are little more than con artists.
As I've said before (many times on this board) I saw this same sad story play out back in the late 70's - and it's ending the same way this time as it did then - with a blood bath for many gold investors.

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Yes, it has. Your OP had it at $1769, today it's at $1298. That's a 26.6% drop in 9 months. Are you still buying?

I guess you can still wipe your ass with Washington's and Lincoln's

The same amount of gold today, buys the same amount of gas as it did in 1920. Buy the same house, too. I noticed Corn has really come down in dollar bills to buy 50# at the feed store.

It is the dollar bill that is gaining worth. Not Gold losing it's worth.
You think everyone in the world plays the US dollar bill scheme?

Again, I bet you think gold has lost its worth..... LOL

Old 06-22-2013, 09:26 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is best to buy low, not high. Not a gold bug, but gold prices will not keep dropping forever either.
Catch a falling knife
What Does "Catching A Falling Knife" Mean?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:27 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is best to buy low, not high. Not a gold bug, but gold prices will not keep dropping forever either.
No, but if history provides any lessons, it may SIT without moving up again significantly for DECADES.

Ken

Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:

The same amount of gold today, buys the same amount of gas as it did in 1920. But the same house, too. I noticed Corn has really come down in dollar bills to buy 50# at the feed store.

You didn't answer my question:
are you still buying?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:

The same amount of gold today, buys the same amount of gas as it did in 1920. But the same house, too. I noticed Corn has really come down in dollar bills to buy 50# at the feed store.

More stoooooopid nonsense.
Heck the same amount of gold today doesn't even buy the same amount of gas it did 6 MONTHS AGO - or heck, EVEN ONE MONTH AGO.

Ken

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Yes, it has. Your OP had it at $1769, today it's at $1298. That's a 26.6% drop in 9 months. Are you still buying?
OP is a textbook example of letting politics cloud your judgment on investment decisions. People don't like the government or Obama or whatever and project those political beliefs onto their expectation on the behavior of markets while ignoring economic fundamentals and history. Big mistake. Any nincompoop with a 5th grade education would have seen gold was in bubble territory when the OP started this thread. On the other hand, a PhD in econ would have made the same mistake as the OP had he looked at the markets through the lens of bias against Obama, Bernanke, the Fed, the government or whatever.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:

The same amount of gold today, buys the same amount of gas as it did in 1920. Buy the same house, too. I noticed Corn has really come down in dollar bills to buy 50# at the feed store.

A part of me actually pities people like you being taken for a ride by hucksters. I'll bet you think gold has "innate value," don't you?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question:
are you still buying?
Oh I missed it. No.

I sold back when there was talk of a big correction and the printing presses turning off. I bought at 930 and sold at 1710.

If Uncle Ben hints of QE 10, I will buy again. I used that to buy oil futures in the Eagle Ford Shale.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OP is a textbook example of letting politics cloud your judgment on investment decisions. People don't like the government or Obama or whatever and project those political beliefs onto their expectation on the behavior of markets while ignoring economic fundamentals and history. Big mistake. Any nincompoop with a 5th grade education would have seen gold was in bubble territory when the OP started this thread.

BINGO!!!!!!

Ken

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Pretty stupid link. I guess no one should have bought stocks in 2008 and the stock market would still be falling. Gold has its uses as a hedge investment. Personally, I do not invest in gold myself but will not criticize those who keep a percentage of their investments in gold or other commodities.

There are many examples of hyperinflation in the last century, even the gold bugs investments are not totally without merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies