Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times

Advertisements

And to think this was the guy who finished second behind Romney!

Rick Santorum: smart people got no reason to vote conservative | World news | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Santorum, who ended up being Mitt Romney's closest rival for the 2012 Republican nomination, made the comment at the conservative Value Voters Summit in Washington.

"We will never have the media on our side, ever, in this country. We will never have the elite, smart people on our side," Santorum said in a speech to the gathering of conservative activists at a Washington hotel.
You've got to admit -- Santorum knows his base!

And what do you suppose the crowd did when Santorum tacitly told them all that they're not smart?

C'mon, you know they cheered like crazy!

PS - As an aside, do you know what happens to Republicans who finish second when seeking the GOP nomination? Here's a hint -- in the past, such Republicans have been... Mitt Romney, John McCain, Bob Dole, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan. The GOP just loves picking the guy who came in second "last time". They can't help themselves!
The 2016 GOP primaries sure are going to be fun to watch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM

537 posts, read 818,853 times
Santorum thought Obama was a "snob" because he said he wanted to make education affordable and available to all Americans. He also outright stated that he doesn't believe in the Right to Privacy, personal autonomy, or the Separation of Church and State. The only reason this statement surprises me is that he's actually admitting that only stupid people would ever vote for him.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Christie/Rubio 2016.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Santorum...

Oh, yeah. I remember that guy. A real creepy weasel-face. The one who thought it was OK for his wife to have an abortion, but rape victims should consider a resulting pregnancy to be "a gift."

Republicans - this guy is part of your brain trust for the future. Heck, he was almost your pick for president this year.

Rick Santorum: Rape victims should keep the 'gift' baby if they get pregnant | Mail Online

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM

537 posts, read 818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Santorum...

Oh, yeah. I remember that guy. A real creepy weasel-face. The one who thought it was OK for his wife to have an abortion, but rape victims should consider a resulting pregnancy to be "a gift."

Republicans - this guy is part of your brain trust for the future. Heck, he was almost your pick for president this year.

Rick Santorum: Rape victims should keep the 'gift' baby if they get pregnant | Mail Online
He is also against contraception because it goes people "license" to do things in the sexual realm contrary to the way God intended. Also, he said that Satan was systematically destroying the US. It's amazing the GOP actually thought he had a chance at becoming President.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Christie/Rubio 2016.
Yeah, that should give Christie enough time to really put NJ in the crapper.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Christie/Rubio 2016.
Republicans always have their 'wish list'. And they always flock to the polls and pick... someone they've been calling a RINO for years (Romney, McCain) or someone foisted on them by the GOP machine because his Dad was President (GW Bush) or some guy who hates GOP economics (Dole, who loved to tell the following joke--"The good news is that a bus of supply-siders went off a cliff! The bad news is that there were a few empty seats on the bus!"; GHW Bush, who labeled Reaganomics "Voodoo economics!").

Besides, after Romney and McCain losing, I expect the GOP to conclude that they need a nominee that isn't saddle with a bunch of RINO policy stances from the past, and Christie supports civil unions, thinks global warming is real, used to be pro-choice, and had this to say:
"'Being in this country without proper documentation is not a crime," Christie said in April 2008."The whole phrase of 'illegal immigrant' connotes that the person, by just being here, is committing a crime."

I'm not buying that the GOP is going to embrace yet another nominee with that sort of baggage of apostasy. I think there's a lurch to a nominee in 2016 who has always been hard-right. And the guy who finished second to Romney happens to fit that bill.

I'm not saying Santorum would be a good choice. But he is nicely positioned for 2016 in a lot of ways.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Republicans always have their 'wish list'. And they always flock to the polls and pick... someone they've been calling a RINO for years (Romney, McCain) or someone foisted on them by the GOP machine because his Dad was President (GW Bush) or some guy who hates GOP economics (Dole, who loved to tell the following joke--"The good news is that a bus of supply-siders went off a cliff! The bad news is that there were a few empty seats on the bus!"; GHW Bush, who labeled Reaganomics "Voodoo economics!").

Besides, after Romney and McCain losing, I expect the GOP to conclude that they need a nominee that isn't saddle with a bunch of RINO policy stances from the past, and Christie supports civil unions, thinks global warming is real, used to be pro-choice, and had this to say:
"'Being in this country without proper documentation is not a crime," Christie said in April 2008."The whole phrase of 'illegal immigrant' connotes that the person, by just being here, is committing a crime."

I'm not buying that the GOP is going to embrace yet another nominee with that sort of baggage of apostasy. I think there's a lurch to a nominee in 2016 who has always been hard-right. And the guy who finished second to Romney happens to fit that bill.

I'm not saying Santorum would be a good choice. But he is nicely positioned for 2016 in a lot of ways.

Note to the GOP...

PLEASE nominate Santorum in four years.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Note to the GOP...

PLEASE nominate Santorum in four years.
Aside from the fact that I think he'll be ideologically position nicely for the nomination, there's the fact that he ran this time. He will begin with a nascent campaign infrastructure from his 2012 instead of beginning from scratch. He's already run once, and will be better the second time around. He has established relationships with various advisors and Republican insiders from this year's run. All these things give him an instant advantage.

And he's proven he can win a lot of states (11 primaries and caucuses by vote) and that he can win the Iowa caucuses. He did all of this on a shoestring campaign.

If he runs, he will probably start as the favorite. Again, that doesn't mean he'll win, but ... he is nicely positioned.

Yikes! We're only two and a half years from the first primary debates (late spring of 2015)!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Damn I wish it were Santorum instead of Romney!

Now that there would be some funny stuff, I don't care WHO ya are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies