Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM

128 posts, read 93,962 times

Advertisements

Im small business owner basically its just me and my son. I'm thinking of hiring someone with a disability. However i'm concerned that most people will pre judge without knowing this individual. Am I wrong or does society still judge by ones appearance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harvar...153500132.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
I'd say they are right. Many people in the business are obsessed with projecting confidence and end up coming across as arrogant and full of themselves - which makes me wonder if they'd be difficult to work with and unable to admit to themselves if they've made a mistake.

Thinking of the top five or so people on my list of business associates or suppliers I like working with, the common trend is they are all no-BS, thoughtful, good listeners, never assume they have the best solution to a problem, never sound like they are trying to sell you on their idea, yet don't seem too hesitant either.

When someone is slick as snot and beaming with confidence and is pushing the wealth of his expertise on you, I tend to assume they are not to be trusted.

That's just me.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:08 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
I'd say yes, and no. I've met people with disabilities and will admit I've felt uncomfortable with them, but I've also met others that exude an immediate warmth that draws you in. Like most anything else, let the person you're considering stand on their own merits. Do you like them? Can they do the job well? Can they handle interaction with the public? (Because a lot of 'regular' people can't.) That's all that matters.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'd say yes, and no. I've met people with disabilities and will admit I've felt uncomfortable with them, but I've also met others that exude an immediate warmth that draws you in. Like most anything else, let the person you're considering stand on their own merits. Do you like them? Can they do the job well? Can they handle interaction with the public? (Because a lot of 'regular' people can't.) That's all that matters.

Thanks for your honesty..

Old 01-19-2016, 09:12 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,305,024 times
To add to my reply - I was mainly talking about people mistakingly thinking that "confidence" is the most important quality they may project.

It's far more important to be likable while still showing some confidence. A disabled person can be just as likeable as anyone.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
To add to my reply - I was mainly talking about people mistakingly thinking that "confidence" is the most important quality they may project.

It's far more important to be likable while still showing some confidence. A disabled person can be just as likeable as anyone.
I totally agree...

Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
This. Totally.

For example, when I go to my local grocery store I sometimes get baggers that are clearly special needs. There is one who bags the items up pretty quickly and fills each bag to reasonable capacity.

Another one I get, is slow as molasses and will put one or two items in each bag.

Guess which line I avoid?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
Don't pay attention to the Harvard lady. She is just one more person who is making money from BS. I never think of the two questions she mentioned. Why would I have to trust someone who is selling me something or that I don't plan to get to know? Also, I respect everyone until they prove themselves not worthy of respect. As far as a disability, hire the person. Then, if they work hard and are honest, they will earn the respect of you and your customers.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Im small business owner basically its just me and my son. I'm thinking of hiring someone with a disability. However i'm concerned that most people will pre judge without knowing this individual. Am I wrong or does society still judge by ones appearance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harvar...153500132.html
Depends on the disability

IIRC there was another study that concluded : society views fat people as less-competent, too. And ugly people.

So just hire a Brad Pitt lookalike and you should be okay.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
I been watching some of these reality tv shows, especially the car rebuild shows, and i think they hire people just because of how freaky they look. There is no way i let some of them work on my car. That JJ dude i would not let him near it. And it seems like the more shows thst come out, the more feaky they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies