Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times

Advertisements

Romney: Teacher contributions to politicians should be limited - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Romney: Teacher contributions to politicians should be limited

(CBS News) Republican nominee Mitt Romney said Tuesday that Democratic politicians have a conflict of interest in dealing with teacher unions because the unions contribute so heavily to their campaigns. He suggested that money should somehow be diverted or cut off, although he did not offer details.

Are we to think that no politician has been influenced by BIG OIL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Wow, how can he say that when so many lobbyist groups have the ear of politicians and give big money to them? What kind of an America would we have if corporations can donate to candidates but teachers and the little guy can't?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:25 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
Wow. Just wow. Had lunch today with my sister who taught for 40 years in Wisconsin working with special ed students. She asked me if Romney had said anything stupid today and I said I didn't think so. Now I have to call her. Guess next time she's in town we'll have to do a late supper.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Romney is 100% correct. It is indeed a massive conflict of interest and it should be stopped.
The bigger problem, Romney said, is that "the person sitting across the table from them should not have received the largest campaign contribution from the teachers union themselves ... [It's] an extraordinary conflict of interest and something that should be addressed."

He later added that "we simply can't have" elected officials who have received large contributions from teachers sitting across from them at the bargaining table "supposedly" to represent the interests of children. "I think it's a mistake," Romney said. "I think we have to get the money out of the teachers unions going into campaigns. It's the wrong way for us to go. We've got to separate that."
The best way to terminate this deliberate fraud is to eliminate collective barginning. Unions can still contribute to whomever they please, and the union membership can contribute to whomever they please, the public unions simply cannot represent their membership when it comes time to negotiate their contract.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Yes, only those who he thinks will support him for whatever job he's applying ... should be permitted to contribute. Every day and every time he opens his big mouth and sticks both feet inside ... is a good day for the Obama re-election campaign. What an idiot!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Romney is 100% correct. It is indeed a massive conflict of interest and it should be stopped.
The bigger problem, Romney said, is that "the person sitting across the table from them should not have received the largest campaign contribution from the teachers union themselves ... [It's] an extraordinary conflict of interest and something that should be addressed."

He later added that "we simply can't have" elected officials who have received large contributions from teachers sitting across from them at the bargaining table "supposedly" to represent the interests of children. "I think it's a mistake," Romney said. "I think we have to get the money out of the teachers unions going into campaigns. It's the wrong way for us to go. We've got to separate that."
The best way to terminate this deliberate fraud is to eliminate collective barginning. Unions can still contribute to whomever they please, and the union membership can contribute to whomever they please, the public unions simply cannot represent their membership when it comes time to negotiate their contract.
Let me get this straight. It's perfectly okay for Romney to sit across the table from people who pay $50,000 a plate to have dinner with him BUT it's not okay for candidates or elected officials to sit across the table from a teacher who donates $10 to $25 to a campaign. If I live to be 100 I'll never understand neo-con logic!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
I don't know, the liberals are mad because he wants money out of politics regarding teachers, but they would be happy if he said he wanted money out of politics regarding big oil

One again, the selective outrage by the left is staggering.....

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Let me get this straight. It's perfectly okay for Romney to sit across the table from people who pay $50,000 a plate to have dinner with him BUT it's not okay for candidates or elected officials to sit across the table from a teacher who donates $10 to $25 to a campaign. If I live to be 100 I'll never understand neo-con logic!
Romney apparently sat across the table from a teacher; here's what the teacher had to say after. It's no wonder Romney wants to silence teachers (Yes, it's clearly an Obama campaign blurb, and yes, it is a teacher speaking out):

Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
That is correct, because he is not negotiating a union contract. Liberal freaks and communists on the other hand have to bribe elected officials and commit election fraud to get their goals accomplished.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
The big difference I see is that big oil is private business and teachers Unions are public sector. I do see a conflict of interest. That said I would love to see all big money taken out of campaign finance. I would also like to see a cap on spending, Imagine if they had to explain their position in 100 words or less each comercial. I wonder how much that would cut down on the lies and the slander?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies