Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It does trigger mental illness, that is a fact. I don't know if prohibition makes people consume more, or less cannabis, but it is really not a debate over legalisation. Legal pot will trigger heart attacks and mental illness just like illegal pot. I would say what I say regardless of its legal status. Tobacco is legal, and everyone knows it is a killer, and I think people need to keep educating people of the dangers of tobacco.

You're right. There is nothing wrong with educating. However, I do not support nanny state policies and telling others what they can and cannot consume. I've smoked my share of weed, and I assure you, I'm quite sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You're right. There is nothing wrong with educating. However, I do not support nanny state policies and telling others what they can and cannot consume. I've smoked my share of weed, and I assure you, I'm quite sane.
Well, I think legalization is another topic. The health dangers are the topic here and the legal status of pot does not change it.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I think legalization is another topic. The health dangers are the topic here and the legal status of pot does not change it.

No legalization does in fact tie into this topic, because a lot of the health dangers are a bunch of propaganda! And quite simply it's ridiculous that it's OK for other much more dangerous substances to be legal, yet marijuana is not!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
It's very difficult to find any scientific studies about marijuana, but the common fact that it causes tachycardia ought to be potentially dangerous.

There are ancedotal cases, and perhaps, a Dutch or a Portuguese agency has supporting documentation, but I believe that it can cause cardial problems.

I wish, someone would clarify this, so that people would not put themselves in potentially dangerous posisitions, they would unlikely be in, if they knew the true facts about this supposed 'wonder drug.'

For instance, some people may think cocaine is fun, but the well-documented cardial related events, may be the sole reason why people have a tendency to avoid it.

I believe that this information is known, but for some reason, due to perhaps an agenda of some sort, it has not been released.

And if it is a case of there being insufficient studies conducted, then more studies need to be conducted.

You have to think of the impact of marijuana on the minds of our youth or those that engage in its use for medicinal purposes. They could very well be unwittingly contributing to their own death or eventually disableing themselves through the use of a seemingly "safe product.

You might consider this a rant, but there are studies, one that stated that its use lead to cardialmyopathy conducted by what looked to be the name of an Indian scientist or observer, and another study released by the NHS that stated it may be contributing to a particular protein or fat (sorry that's not very precise) that can slow the process of blood which feeds the heart oxygen.

If there is anybody that can validate any of this, you should step foward so that people who don't know the truth will know. I know there are many people that enage in this activity and I am not trying to call you out on it.

They lock a lot of people up for this when in reality the only way they can be saved is through rehabilitation, but the truth must be known. And if it turns out that this is not the truth, then at least we know.

Although, maybe there are some things we don't want to know.
Three points I must bring up as a reply:
1. You do not present a single source to support your claim. You mention them but not cite them. Other people have made contrary claims. However, I will say that I think it is harmful in some ways. My question is What is the point with your claim?
2. Are you saying it should be illegal or not? Because if you are presenting this OP to show support for laws against legalizing it, then there is ample evidence that alcohol is if not more at least as harmful than this drug.
3. Lastly, I may think that alcohol and marijuana are harmful but it is a matter of choice in people's lives whether to use use those drugs or not. I do not think that interfering with their freedom of what recreational drug to use is against the spirit of the Constitution. Even though they may be harmful people should had the choice of how to live their lives and pay for the consequences of their actions. Take care.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

990 posts, read 939,551 times
Quote:
It's very difficult to find any scientific studies about marijuana, but the common fact that it causes tachycardia ought to be potentially dangerous.

There are ancedotal cases, and perhaps, a Dutch or a Portuguese agency has supporting documentation, but I believe that it can cause cardial problems.

I wish, someone would clarify this, so that people would not put themselves in potentially dangerous posisitions, they would unlikely be in, if they knew the true facts about this supposed 'wonder drug.'

For instance, some people may think cocaine is fun, but the well-documented cardial related events, may be the sole reason why people have a tendency to avoid it.

I believe that this information is known, but for some reason, due to perhaps an agenda of some sort, it has not been released.

And if it is a case of there being insufficient studies conducted, then more studies need to be conducted.

You have to think of the impact of marijuana on the minds of our youth or those that engage in its use for medicinal purposes. They could very well be unwittingly contributing to their own death or eventually disableing themselves through the use of a seemingly "safe product.

You might consider this a rant, but there are studies, one that stated that its use lead to cardialmyopathy conducted by what looked to be the name of an Indian scientist or observer, and another study released by the NHS that stated it may be contributing to a particular protein or fat (sorry that's not very precise) that can slow the process of blood which feeds the heart oxygen.

If there is anybody that can validate any of this, you should step foward so that people who don't know the truth will know. I know there are many people that enage in this activity and I am not trying to call you out on it.

They lock a lot of people up for this when in reality the only way they can be saved is through rehabilitation, but the truth must be known. And if it turns out that this is not the truth, then at least we know.

Although, maybe there are some things we don't want to know.

Marijuana is not dangerous.
Sugar is dangerous.
Caffeine is dangerous.
Alcohol is VERY dangerous.
Fat is VERY dangerous.
Tobacco is VERY dangerous.
Rx Drugs are VERY dangerous.
Processed foods are dangerous.
McDonald's is dangerous, so is Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Chipotle, Olive Garden, etc.

Prohibition is INSANELY DANGEROUS.

So many things are dangerous, but none as dangerous as the crime that results from making them illegal.

Why don't we just treat adults as adults and let them make their own mistakes. If I want to shoot up heroin while snorting cocaine and eating transfats loaded with alcohol while smoking a cigarette, it should be my choice to do so. The only thing killing myself with that crap will do is create jobs. An early death for me not only opens up my job for someone else, it also provides work for a coroner, morgue operator, funeral home director/employees, an attorney to take care of my will (which I need to write now that I'm a homeowner), an accountant to determine the tax liabilities to my heirs, etc. Death is a very important part of the economy, so why not allow people to do stupid and dangerous things to help the economy if they're only hurting themselves?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Insult? What insult? I see the pot induced paranoia has taken root in your way of seeing things.

Ummm yeah. Too bad I'm not currently under the influence, so there goes that thought out the window! Just admit it Finn, you're a prohibitionist! Al Capone and his friends would love you!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,532 times
Why are people turning this thread into a legal issue? It has nothing to do with legality, unless you are arguing that legality would give researchers an opportunity to conduct studies that are not able to do now since it is illegal.

What is wrong with the truth? Why don't people want to know the truth?

Do you want to be lied to your whole life?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,961 times
Default There's the truth, and then there's the truth

Quote:
Why are people turning this thread into a legal issue? It has nothing to do with legality, unless you are arguing that legality would give researchers an opportunity to conduct studies that are not able to do now since it is illegal.

What is wrong with the truth? Why don't people want to know the truth?

Do you want to be lied to your whole life?
Here's the truth:

You have been lied to your whole life.
The Drug War is a failure.
The negative consequences of limited responsible recreational use, apart from the legal issues, is minimal.
Children should not have access to drugs. They do now. We need another approach than the one we are using.
Drug testing does not prevent drug use. Drug testing does not measure impairment.
Successful people use drugs for recreational purposes, so do the less successful. It is not a factor.
Equating all drug use with abuse is the same as saying all drinkers are drunks.
Withdrawal symptoms from marijuana use, if noticed at all, are similar to those when quitting caffeine.
No one would advocate driving, going to work, or operating machinery while under the influence.

People do not want to know the truth because it upsets the status quo, which is where they are comfortable.

Your government does not want you to know the truth because they want to keep you powerless, in constant fear, and controllable. The unknown is very scary to them.

The police dept does not want to admit the truth because it would affect their DEA grants, ability to seize your property, kill your dog, and if the truth were known, negatively impact staffing and pensions.

Can you handle the truth?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Here's the truth:

You have been lied to your whole life.
The Drug War is a failure.
The negative consequences of limited responsible recreational use, apart from the legal issues, is minimal.
Children should not have access to drugs. They do now. We need another approach than the one we are using.
Drug testing does not prevent drug use. Drug testing does not measure impairment.
Successful people use drugs for recreational purposes, so do the less successful. It is not a factor.
Equating all drug use with abuse is the same as saying all drinkers are drunks.
Withdrawal symptoms from marijuana use, if noticed at all, are similar to those when quitting caffeine.
No one would advocate driving, going to work, or operating machinery while under the influence.

People do not want to know the truth because it upsets the status quo, which is where they are comfortable.

Your government does not want you to know the truth because they want to keep you powerless, in constant fear, and controllable. The unknown is very scary to them.

The police dept does not want to admit the truth because it would affect their DEA grants, ability to seize your property, kill your dog, and if the truth were known, negatively impact staffing and pensions.

Can you handle the truth?

Most definitely.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
It's smoke going into your lungs. What idiot actually thought it was safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies