Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The least racist....really. Ok, I would like to have that argument with you since the south is still the most racist in this country. But yes of course there are racists everywhere.
I don't claim to be the most well-traveled person out there, certainly not compared to some posters on here, but I've lived in the south, north central, and southwest. I've visited almost everywhere else. The south, while it has problems, is not any more racist than any other part of the country. I absolutely stand by that statement and I'm not exactly a southern booster.
The western states seem to have the most hate groups. Go to the Milwaukee forums and see what they're saying over there. MKE is a great town and I think the racist-segregated city accusation is a bit overblown, but it's absolutely present. Just as much out in the open as you'd find in Memphis, if not more so. I've known people who lived their whole lives in the south, go off to NYC for a while and come back and talk about how racist NYC is. It's everywhere, but it's just played out a bit differently perhaps from place to place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM

143 posts, read 122,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Anyone who thinks racism is confined to the south and conservatives is sorely mistaken. There are racists everywhere. I'll argue that the south is one of the least racist parts of the country, certainly no worse than any other.
Liberals? Well, actions speak louder than rhetoric. Why don't they just trust people to make their own decisions? Especially minorities? It's those minorities that liberals trust the least to be able to take care of themselves... or think for themselves.

As a native white Mississippian I would have to disagree. The racism of the South is still very much alive. The difference between Mississippi and another state I lived in, New Jersey, is the insidiousness. In Mississippi, racism is still very much in your face while in NJ or New York City it is more subtle, but just as bad if not worse. Don't ever let a north-easterner ever tell you he is more tolerant. He's just better at hiding it, but it's no better.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM

27,144 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So it was not liberal Democrats who supported and practiced black slavery before and during the Civil War, while Republicans fought against it?

And it was not liberal Democrats who enacted and enforced Jim Crow laws against blacks afterward?

And it was not liberal Democrats who stood in school doorways to bar entrance to black children, while Republicans sent the National Guard to forcibly remove them and let the black children enter the schools?

And it is not liberal Democrats who, even today, insist that black people cannot make it in life without significant assistance from government, while making no such claims about white people?

Coulter called it correctly. Liberal Democrats have a 200-year history of racism, and have not broken that habit even today. They are not capable of acknowledging how disgusting and repulsive their racist ideology is, and will fight like cornered skunks (with similar results) against any attempt to point out the truth to them.

It certainly was not Democrats that passed the Civil Rights Act either.
Took the Republicans to do that.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I don't claim to be the most well-traveled person out there, certainly not compared to some posters on here, but I've lived in the south, north central, and southwest. I've visited almost everywhere else. The south, while it has problems, is not any more racist than any other part of the country. I absolutely stand by that statement and I'm not exactly a southern booster.
The western states seem to have the most hate groups. Go to the Milwaukee forums and see what they're saying over there. MKE is a great town and I think the racist-segregated city accusation is a bit overblown, but it's absolutely present. Just as much out in the open as you'd find in Memphis, if not more so. I've known people who lived their whole lives in the south, go off to NYC for a while and come back and talk about how racist NYC is. It's everywhere, but it's just played out a bit differently perhaps from place to place.

To me the true south is Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana which all my relatives are from and still reside. A lot of people are poor and uneducated there. Yes some are racist because that's what their parents taught them. They don't like black people but they don't discriminate because they don't like hispanics either.
I'm sorry but the south is racist in my opinion

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Never heard anyone describe the KKK as liberal, but hey, it's the internets

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So it was not liberal Democrats who supported and practiced black slavery before and during the Civil War, while Republicans fought against it?

And it was not liberal Democrats who enacted and enforced Jim Crow laws against blacks afterward?

And it was not liberal Democrats who stood in school doorways to bar entrance to black children, while Republicans sent the National Guard to forcibly remove them and let the black children enter the schools?

And it is not liberal Democrats who, even today, insist that black people cannot make it in life without significant assistance from government, while making no such claims about white people?

Coulter called it correctly. Liberal Democrats have a 200-year history of racism, and have not broken that habit even today. They are not capable of acknowledging how disgusting and repulsive their racist ideology is, and will fight like cornered skunks (with similar results) against any attempt to point out the truth to them.
No the parties flipped in the 60s. Southern Democrats used to be ultra Conservative. Republicans and Northern Democrats were liberals. They stopped segregation. Southern Democrats (who are now Republicans) supported it.

Get your facts straight. Liberals have always led the charge for social change.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM

143 posts, read 122,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Never heard anyone describe the KKK as liberal, but hey, it's the internets
Compared to some of the Stormfront jagoffs that have shown up on this forum, the KKK might as well be dropping acid and sticking flowers in the muzzles of army rifles.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
It certainly was not Democrats that passed the Civil Rights Act either.
Took the Republicans to do that.
And at that time, they were the liberals who later joined the Democratic party.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Ha. The heroes of right-wingers these days: Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Bay Buchanan, Michelle Malkin, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity...

That says enough.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusilier0770 View Post
As a native white Mississippian I would have to disagree. The racism of the South is still very much alive. The difference between Mississippi and another state I lived in, New Jersey, is the insidiousness. In Mississippi, racism is still very much in your face while in NJ or New York City it is more subtle, but just as bad if not worse. Don't ever let a north-easterner ever tell you he is more tolerant. He's just better at hiding it, but it's no better.
I don't know that we disagree that much on this. Yes, there is racism in the south, but it's everywhere else, too. I was just trying to say that it's probably no worse than in other parts of the country.
Some places are a little better, some a little worse, but racism is an issue pretty much anywhere you go.
I sometimes think that people that single out the south as being the absolute "most racist" have either never been there, or perhaps have never been anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
To me the true south is Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana which all my relatives are from and still reside. A lot of people are poor and uneducated there. Yes some are racist because that's what their parents taught them. They don't like black people but they don't discriminate because they don't like hispanics either.
I'm sorry but the south is racist in my opinion
I've lived in Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, and Arkansas. I know what you're talking about and I wasn't saying the south wasn't racist at all, but not all parts of the south are the same. The racism you speak of I've seen up here in the north as well.
As I stated previously, some places are better, some are worse, but it's always there. That principle applies not just to the south, but also when comparing the south (or anywhere else for that matter) to other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies