Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Free speech wins out over atheist Libigotry.

What if they were non Christians and won this case? Would you still be all jolly??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
Everyone knows this will just go to Federal court in the end (this was a State Judge).

And everyone knows how the Federal gov't likes to rule on these matters.

Hint: Numerous Supreme Court rulings say this Judge is wrong (circa 2000 and 1992 for most recent). Sorry.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The name says it all, "Freedom From Religion Foundation,". Which is nowhere in the Constitution, The Bill of Rights or the Declaration of Independence.

I think these fanatics should pool their money, buy some land and start their own city and leave the rest of us alone.
Absolutely agree!! The First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

If you ask me, this group is expressly attempting to prohibit the free exercise of religion. No one has said other groups couldn't bring their own banners to games with different religious symbols or sayings. And in my experience most people of other religions aren't the ones who get offended by these things. It's usually the non-religious who want to suppress everyone else's rights. Their devotion to stamping out religion is perplexing to me. If you don't believe in God, fine, but don't get offended or feel marginalized because others do believe. What difference does it make to you?

Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
the First Amendment makes good cover...

until it pizzes off Liberals...

Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Suppression and banning is not the way to go.

How do these activist groups find these issues in small towns across the US ?
If the people of the town are fine with it then let them be.
The trouble is, not all the people in towns like this are okay with it. Small towns can be brutally repressive places. Think of the small towns in states like Tennessee who have tried to deny local Muslims the right to build mosques. These are not "activist groups." They are groups fighting to defend the Constitution and maintain a secular society.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Absolutely agree!! The First Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

If you ask me, this group is expressly attempting to prohibit the free exercise of religion.
That is what many are claiming. But you must realize that only a fraction of those opposing this are saying religious banners or other expression shouldn't be at the school at all. Many of us, such as myself and Dan Barker from the article, are only saying to MOVE this expression to an outlet whereby people know it is in fact representing only the individuals involved in making the banner, not the entire school.

Quote:
There’s a difference between free speech and government speech,” he said. “When those cheerleaders are wearing the uniform, when they’re at an official public high school event, they are not speaking for themselves -- they are representing the school, which has a diversity of viewpoints.

Consider what the law has done to allow people their right to protest at funerals. You know, saying things like "Your father went to hell, kiddo", stuff like that. Now, is moving those ***holes a few yards away violating their freedom of speech? Should they be allowed to stand on the grave and do it? So why can't we move a banner just a few FEET over and, Idk maybe - just maybe, make the football banner about FOOTBALL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's usually the non-religious who want to suppress everyone else's rights. Their devotion to stamping out religion is perplexing to me. If you don't believe in God, fine, but don't get offended or feel marginalized because others do believe. What difference does it make to you?
Well once again, I'm not trying to suppress anyone's rights. But speaking as an atheist father, the difference a case such as this makes is that I want my son to make up his own mind about religion, and the implication that the entire school he's going to is religious would be misleading. I plan to teach him (assuming he is public schooled) to pay close attention and learn from what the staff at his school have to say. I don't want him picking up religious views as a result of this instruction. That's why I don't want the teachers, the principal, the curriculum they're teaching, or the cheerleaders in uniform promoting Christianity. That's not their job; that's not what I'm paying them for.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
This is the one thing I don't get about the more militant members of the atheist community. I don't understand why they have such an opposition to seeing any religious media anywhere in public. Do they avoid driving past churches, mosques, and synagogues? Is the sight of a bible verse, cross, crescent moon, or star of David that offensive to them? Are they that weak willed that they fear they will not be able to maintain their atheist path if confronted with one shred of religious iconography?

Or is it just that they are that small minded and petty that it isn't enough that they have the freedom to believe or not believe as they see fit, but want to force their will onto others? You know, the very thing they are accusing the cheerleaders of in this case. Good to see common sense prevailed for a change.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
This is the one thing I don't get about the more militant members of the atheist community. I don't understand why they have such an opposition to seeing any religious media anywhere in public. Do they avoid driving past churches, mosques, and synagogues? Is the sight of a bible verse, cross, crescent moon, or star of David that offensive to them? Are they that weak willed that they fear they will not be able to maintain their atheist path if confronted with one shred of religious iconography?

Or is it just that they are that small minded and petty that it isn't enough that they have the freedom to believe or not believe as they see fit, but want to force their will onto others? You know, the very thing they are accusing the cheerleaders of in this case. Good to see common sense prevailed for a change.
Do you know the difference between a church, and a PUBLIC school?

One is a church, and one is a government run school.
A church can say or do anything it wants. It only represents its own policy.
A school represents ALL students. Are all of the students of that school christians?
The cheerleaders, when in uniform, are representatives of the school.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Fail. Tax payer dollars shouldn't go to funding schools and their sports teams that promote specific types of religion or ways of belief over others. They should also have atheist promotion signs at the events if they really feel the need to have belief signs at events.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Fail. Tax payer dollars shouldn't go to funding schools and their sports teams that promote specific types of religion or ways of belief over others. They should also have atheist promotion signs at the events if they really feel the need to have belief signs at events.
The religious here have said that atheists can have these signs at the events, but they agree to it because they know their own religion is represented on the school's banner, giving the appearance that the school officially recognizes Christianity and nothing else. Taking the high ground, you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies