Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,407 times

Advertisements

One thing you should always know: When someone is comfortable and secure in their beliefs, they will feel no need to foist them upon others who are disinterested or disagree. Only those insecure, worried, unsure of their beliefs, feel the need to make everyone else believe what they believe.

I attended Catholic school. One day in Old Testament class, a classmate declared that while he believed Jesus existed and was a great man, he did not believe him to have been the son of God. The teacher was not vexed in the least. Why? Because she was secure in her beliefs. An insecure Christian would have raised her voice, demanded the student take it back and repent. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between someone who truly believes what they claim to believe, and someone who only pretends to believe what she says she believes. A secure Christian does not testify at football games. They don't need the validation of anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Ah, now that's classic. After using specific examples of using racial epithets, swearing or insulting a particular religion, you choose to ignore those and instead use your own example of me threatening to kill someone. Observe, readers, someone using thoroughly dishonest tactics to avoid answering a question. What a pathetic display this has been.

But thank you for acknowledging that I may not say whatever I wish. In that same way, cheerleaders for the school football team may be restricted in what they say, even when it pertains to religion.
I imagine there is swearing in every business setting. I know of none that is swear free. If someone says to you that "God is great" I certainly support your right to say "that's stupid and ignorant". If you wish to hand out "I believe in nothing" holiday cards, I believe you should be able to.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,385,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What about the rights of non-Christian citizens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What about them?
Round and round we go.

When you make something that is part of a school function religious, you misrepresent the school.
In many schools, you cannot honestly expect non-Christians will be granted the same freedom to express their beliefs (that is, with a taxpayer-funded microphone or the banner the school's football team runs through) as Christians are granted.
Therefore, the only reasonable solution is to let people express themselves on an even platform (no microphones or school banners to use as their method of communication, just people in the stands expressing their beliefs in a way that does not misrepresent the school) or simply not express their religious beliefs at all.

It really is that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Good question,

sa·tan·ic *(s-tnk, s-) or sa·tan·i·cal (--kl)
adj.
1. Relating to or suggestive of Satan or evil.
2. Profoundly cruel or evil; fiendish.

Christianity is all about virtue, charity, fortitude, faith and so on.
The bold is a loophole; I'm sure many Satanists would agree. So again, "Satan, keep us safe." Welcome or no?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,559 times
Quote:
One thing you should always know: When someone is comfortable and secure in their beliefs, they will feel no need to foist them upon others who are disinterested or disagree. Only those insecure, worried, unsure of their beliefs, feel the need to make everyone else believe what they believe.

I attended Catholic school. One day in Old Testament class, a classmate declared that while he believed Jesus existed and was a great man, he did not believe him to have been the son of God. The teacher was not vexed in the least. Why? Because she was secure in her beliefs. An insecure Christian would have raised her voice, demanded the student take it back and repent. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between someone who truly believes what they claim to believe, and someone who only pretends to believe what she says she believes. A secure Christian does not testify at football games. They don't need the validation of anyone else.
Good one...how about a race car driver before getting in the car ?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I imagine there is swearing in every business setting. I know of none that is swear free. If someone says to you that "God is great" I certainly support your right to say "that's stupid and ignorant". If you wish to hand out "I believe in nothing" holiday cards, I believe you should be able to.
You're about done, here, aren't you? The engine is sputtering, you're running on fumes and the needle is dropping to empty.

You will avoid answering my relevant question at all costs because you know the implications as it applies to these students and their testifying.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Round and round we go.

When you make something that is part of a school function religious, you misrepresent the school.
In many schools, you cannot honestly expect non-Christians will be granted the same freedom to express their beliefs (that is, with a taxpayer-funded microphone or the banner the school's football team runs through) as Christians are granted.
If you can find a situation where one is allowed and not the other I will be right there condemning that.

Quote:
Therefore, the only reasonable solution is to let people express themselves on an even platform (no microphones or school banners to use as their method of communication, just people in the stands expressing their beliefs in a way that does not misrepresent the school) or simply not express their religious beliefs at all.

It really is that simple.
There is no right to be representing equally in your speech. Only in a right to express it.

Quote:
The bold is a loophole; I'm sure many Satanists would agree. So again, "Satan, keep us safe." Welcome or no?
Go for it. It doesn't bother me. And even if it did it wouldn't matter.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
You're about done, here, aren't you? The engine is sputtering, you're running on fumes and the needle is dropping to empty.

You will avoid answering my relevant question at all costs because you know the implications as it applies to these students and their testifying.
LOL. I supported your right to swear and offend others if that is your desire.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Go for it. It doesn't bother me. And even if it did it wouldn't matter.
Perhaps we should just designate 5 minutes prior to every high school game where anyone, anyone at all, may come forward and testify about anything they wish? What could be fairer than that? And, after all, it is central to the mission of our institutions of learning, is it not?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
LOL. I supported your right to swear and offend others if that is your desire.
Let me see if I understand this: You support my right to swear and utter racial epithets in front of students and colleagues? You think that being prohibited from doing that would restrict my 1st Amendment rights?

You should have bowed out when I first broached the subject.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we should just designate 5 minutes prior to every high school game where anyone, anyone at all, may come forward and testify about anything they wish? What could be fairer than that? And, after all, it is central to the mission of our institutions of learning, is it not?
That would be something designated by the school which the courts likely wouldn't allow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies