Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
I understand that there may be a cultural aspect, but in regards to geopolitical strategy, I imagine that most Russians are as oblivious as Americans.

I suspect that most cultures and ethnicities are moral for the most part. So, what I meant to say, is I don't know if the typical Russian psyche is synonymous with the people who are strategizing global affairs.

Look at what Stallin did to his own people.
As you said earlier, you are clueless to the Russian psyche, hence whatever you say about Russia and the Russian people is groundless and not worth anything other than to voice an ignorant Americans personal opinion....

If you want to talk intelligently about the Russian military and their capabilities study up on the Russian-Georgian conflict....

They were abysmal compared to what they say in public....

The Russian military of 2012 compared to the old USSR that invaded Afghanistan in 1979 has no comparison, it's a shadow of it's former self...

LMAO, if America militarily does anything to Iran all Russia will do is posture and raise objections in the U.N.

In 2012 there is still only one superpower in the world no matter what your college professors say....

Last edited by plwhit; 10-03-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 AM

567 posts, read 1,120,312 times
Don't you mean interstellar travel? Interstellar travel is conceivable within the next couple of centuries; hell, we could start launching probes in a couple decades if we really, really wanted to. Intergalactic travel, on the other hand, is conceivable within the next... couple of million years...?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Don't you mean interstellar travel? Interstellar travel is conceivable within the next couple of centuries; hell, we could start launching probes in a couple decades if we really, really wanted to. Intergalactic travel, on the other hand, is conceivable within the next... couple of million years...?
If we could get rid of almost all the copyright and trademark laws and the law firms who sue at the drop of the hat society could possibly be making progress in leaps and bounds.

But with all the law suing sharks constantly circling I think inventors are just not inventing for fear that one of their ideas runs afoul of another trademark or copyright.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As you said earlier, you are clueless to the Russian psyche, hence whatever you say about Russia and the Russian people is groundless and not worth anything other than to voice an ignorant Americans personal opinion....

If you want to talk intelligently about the Russian military and their capabilities study up on the Russian-Georgian conflict....

They were abysmal compared to what they say in public....

The Russian military of 2012 compared to the old USSR that invaded Afghanistan in 1979 has no comparison, it's a shadow of it's former self...

LMAO, if America militarily does anything to Iran all Russia will do is posture and raise objections in the U.N.

In 2012 there is still only one superpower in the world no matter what your college professors say....
The one superpower is a creepy-looking bald eagle? Yikes.
The Russian military is in no position to pose much of a threat to the US. Their bureaucrats are too busy siphoning money to themselves and their pet projects.
Russia will definitely posture; the "us-versus-them" rhetoric is very strong in the Putin administration (regime?).

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Some posters have pointed out that the US is trying to establish a stronghold on Iran, so it can build up sufficient infrastructure in order to access the resources of central Asia.

I'm sure other countries have the same interest, but the US has the military capability to actually pull this off, by overthrowing the government in Iran.

Russia has already threatened the US by saying Iran is too close to its territory.

So what will they do?

I think they will use the same technology that allows for intergalatic space travel, to cause an eruption on the sun, which will cause an X class solar flare, that will decimate the US by destroying its power grid and putting us in a state of chaos.

To the rest of the world, which will be unaffected, it will look like a natural event occured, and while they (including Russia) may do everything they can to support the US through airlifts and rebuilding infrastructure the damage will be done, and the economy will be devestated.

I seriously have doubts about the source that confesses the applications of this unknown technology, but if it does exist, how will the US safeguard itself?
Um, this was the plot of the most recent Justice League animated movie.
Justice League: Doom (Video 2012) - IMDb

I think somewhere along the way someone played a joke on somebody and it went zoooooooom right into conspiracy land as fact.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Interesting question.
I think Russia's response would greatly depend on what the tipping point would be going into such an attack on Iran.
You might want to read the Treaty in closer detail.

There's a 5-State Treaty between Russia, Iran, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and another country (I think Turkmenistan but don't quote me on that). It includes a mutual defense pact.

Quote:
The one superpower is a creepy-looking bald eagle? Yikes.
You just made me spill my Glenlivet all over the place.

Quote:
The Russian military is in no position to pose much of a threat to the US.
Are you sure about that?

The US used to have a 1 kt 8"/203 mm ERW AFAP and a 10 kt Lance ERW. Those were "neutron bombs." But not any more.

Russia still has 3,000+ ERWs in the form of AFAPs and SRBM missile warheads. They also had gravity bombs in the 1 kt to 10 kt range, plus a short range air-launched missile in the 1 kt to 5 kt range.

Tangle with Russia at your own risk.

Positioning....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
When Russia marches down to the middle east it is the Beginning of World War III.
And how exactly will they do that?

Sorry, but your god is so pathetic he could barely manage as a company supply clerk. There's no way in hell he could ever run logistics at battalion level or above.

Remember, this is real-life, not a video game. You drive your vehicles to the fuel point to get fuel, not drive over some sprite/icon and you're instantly refueled.

I suppose it would be totally pointless to ask what you're using for v, u, a, c, p and α.

Logistically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) US will probably not attack Iran, since the price can be too high.
And the price for not attacking is 100x higher. Seeing how all of you are spastic over a tiny little 8% unemployment rate, you'd all be committing mass suicide when it gets to 20% -- which is where it will ultimately be if you cannot gain control of Iran.

Quote:
Its 2012, not 2001. I don't see even Romney, if elected starting a war.
He won't, and neither will Obama nor any other president. You'll jump on the bandwagon when the time comes.

Quote:
2) What Russia may do?
Aside from launching a thousand Kitchens at US ships in the Gulf? Launch a thousand Granats at ships in the Gulf.

Quote:
On the military front they may concentrate troops on the border,...
Why would they do that? How would they do that?

Tactically....

Mircea

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
If aliens have visited our planet....

If?

My guess is you haven't read many posts on POC.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,282 times
Saw clips on the news about the people of Iran protesting against their government over the impact of the sanctions. Hopefully, with continued support, those will work and the urgent need to go to war with Iran will abate some. Don't know how the Russians or the Chinese would react to war, but unrest in Iran may compel them to get of the pot already and make a stand on one side or the other.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Drink alot and swear and scream njet

Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Bah I think Russia willl continue to workon their offshore Oil adn natiral gas prjects to start producing and if they are like us Canadians they are already making a list and scouting the top players in Russian hockey tto get ready for a hockey superpower of nations show down that has a 1972 summit series feel to it of this could be one of all time greatest hockey game in history and who will get the golden goal in 2014 in Sochi?

Ma ni can't wait till we get some hockey when theworld juniors pay play on boxing day december infact I hope we send PM harper to vist president Putin to strike a cable deal with TSN or CBC so we get some KHL games shown here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies