Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 PM

635 posts, read 539,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Thank you?

Anyway, marriage has always been about religion. That we define it as one man and one women has nothing to do with nature, but has come from societal norms informed by religious texts.
Whaaaat? Getting married in a church is a recent phenomenon! Used to be everyone had a nice secular ceremony at country club.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
No, but it could probably use some tweeking. How we practice it today is nearly pointless.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
As a legal institution? Absolutely. The government has no business in marriage.

I love and respect marriage, but feel that there are too many problems currently and more will be coming based upon government interference in marriage.
Yep get the state out of it. You are forced to sign a contract that they can alter at any time they want without your consent that you have to abide to.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Marriage should be abolished as it has become outdated, pointless, and is just religion in disguise.

What purpose does it have?

Those that want partners and family can still have them but sans 'magic piece of paper'

No real difference here.

Let's abolish this quaint old system.

agree?
Bored? Perhaps try some video games.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Marriage should be abolished as it has become outdated, pointless, and is just religion in disguise.

Those that want partners and family can still have them but sans 'magic piece of paper'

No real difference here.

agree?
Better not ask ex wives. They make out quite well by getting married and then working the divorce system to their benefit. That system is stacked against men, and women are not going to let that go so easily.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yep get the state out of it. You are forced to sign a contract that they can alter at any time they want without your consent that you have to abide to.
How is that? I never heard of that.. The state can alter my contract and force me to do what?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:

No real difference here.

agree?
I think that marriage, as its a institution founded in a religious belief, should not be acknowledged at any level of government.

If someone wants to go to a church and have a priest marry them, fine, but it shouldn't mean a damn thing to the public.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:

No real difference here.

agree?

No, I do not agree, and it means a lot more than just a piece of paper to me.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, I do not agree, and it means a lot more than just a piece of paper to me.
Yes, to you. Thats the key point. Should it mean something to the government?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
It is important to remember that whatever marriage means romantically or religiously, it is first and foremost a LEGAL relationship. Even if marriage were abolished,--i.e. ceased to have any formal legal meaning--long-term relationships that ran aground would still lead to contentious legal battles. For example, what rights of visitation with children would partners have if they split up? Marriage at least presents a legal framework for settling such disputes, even if the process often gets ugly. Abolishing legal marriage would lead to chaos unless some other framework were erected in its place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies