Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Ok, we all know that there are biased media sources out there and there is certainly room for reasonable criticism.

However, the constant claims (especially from the right) that the media is left wing (except fox)...let me share with you what greeted me on my computer this morning.

CNN:

Quote:
By most accounts, Republican challenger Mitt Romney was the clear winner of Wednesday's first debate with President Barack Obama. Romney engaged the incumbent while Obama looked down at his lectern. The challenger was a more forceful debater while Obama appeared less than engaged.
5 things we learned from the presidential debate - CNN.com

OH and here is one of those "biased media polls" you guys have been whining about for weeks...

Quote:
According to a CNN/ORC International poll conducted right after the session, 67% of debate watchers questioned said that Romney won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, we all know that there are biased media sources out there and there is certainly room for reasonable criticism.

However, the constant claims (especially from the right) that the media is left wing (except fox)...let me share with you what greeted me on my computer this morning.

CNN:

5 things we learned from the presidential debate - CNN.com

OH and here is one of those "biased media polls" you guys have been whining about for weeks...

I have said for a while that CNN is trying to kiss tea party a$$. They are wrong. That fox crowd is not the future(thank God).

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 AM

190 posts, read 498,306 times
It's a matter of pragmatism. If CNN said Obama did a great job they knew they'd be ridiculed.

This doesn't change the indisputable fact that the media is mainly comprised of progressive activists who are willing to lie to advance their agenda; very few are legitimate journalists.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Good point. If Obama had won, they'd be complaining that it was biased,etc.

I only heard 5 minutes of it. It was clear that Romney was the aggressor and Obama was fumbling. Not sure why. I don't like that, but it is just the truth. It is also true that Romney has not been able to go a week without looking like an ass through the whole summer.

The media just did its job, and seemed to play it pretty straight. Romney was particularly compelling, and Obama notably off. That seems the objective reality. I wonder when all this media spin supposedly kicks in?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
It's kind of hard to deny the obvious. Remember, we watched the debate and there are plenty of recordings of the entire debate - not just sound bites. But even the sound bites weren't so hot for Obama. In my opinion, Obama's problem in the debate was that Romney insisted that Obama answer as an incumbent, instead of pretending that he was a challanger. "You've been president for 4 years." has not been said enough when Obama talks about his plans for the next 4 years.

Honestly, by the end of the debate I just wanted it over because Obama looked bad, and he is our president, after all.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
It's a matter of pragmatism. If CNN said Obama did a great job they knew they'd be ridiculed.

This doesn't change the indisputable fact that the media is mainly comprised of progressive activists who are willing to lie to advance their agenda; very few are legitimate journalists.
The fact that never changes is that for the political extremists, they will only believe information that supports thier views. Otherwise, the source is biased.

Just look at the thread so far. People denying reality and substituting their own.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post

Please cite just a few 'legitimate journalists'.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
People who complain about media bias are weirdos IMO. The media is trying to get viewers and they will do whatever they have to do to get viewers. Those who say the media love Obama only watch specific media channels that tell them that the media only loves Obama and they fall for what those people on those channels are saying because they are naive and gullible and do not want to see anyone else's POV.

In regards to the debates. Romney won red handed. He was very personable, which I think is what he was going after. People who have not kept up with his previous comments on the economy and healthcare and foreign policy, would probably be swayed into thinking that he is firm, yet unspecific about what he wants to do, like most politicians. But he was totally different than what he has been previously and I do think that is what he was trying to do as he and his team knew that this could give him a boost and I think that it will.

Obama didn't look like he was fumbling to me, he looked like he didn't care about what Romney was saying and looked like he wanted to roll his eyes. I also think he may have felt that people who keep up with politics would see past Romney's bull, but those who do not keep up with it will believe the bull, especially the 716 billion medicare cut that Romney kept mentioning, and which Obama did not adequately debate IMO. Obama wasn't as aggressive as he should have been, which is always his problem IMO. I think he will come out a little harder next time. Honestly, I think he doesn't want to come off as "the angry black man" but really, in his situation, he should go ahead and be that angry black man to get his point across and I think he would have done better if he had been more aggressive, in his calm way.

Romney seemed kind of agitated to me, way too animated, he seemed like he was on drugs on something IMO, but he had a great performance. Maybe the animation/agitation was just the high of the event for him. You can tell he reall did prepare a lot for last night.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:07 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
When you get knocked down by an EF5, you can't claim it's a little breeze.

Only MSNBC is that delusional.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Obama seemed bored and unfocused. He'd better turn it around at the next debate or this race can turn around quick. And why is he not using more aggressive terminology? Romney's economic policy is trickle down...call it what it is..it's not "top down", what is that?

He also needs to tie Romney and where his millions came from to predatory capitalism and the Wall St. mindset that brought the economy down in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies