Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sounds like WoW is a remarkably poor challenge. Tried the free trial, lost interest after one evening. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Out of curiosity, how many hours would it take you to reach level 60? "8 days" is pretty meaningless - that could be 8 hours of game play or 80.
These days you could probably hit 60 in like 8 hours if you knew what you're doing. Been awhile since I've played, but it's not hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Don't kid yourself.

Some of actually live in the real world and have jobs, kids wives.
Like me.

Quote:
There is no way you can play that game any meaningful amount of time
Define meaningful. If you put about 2 hours a day into the game, you can get to the level cap in no time.

I don't play WoW because the game is boring as sin, but it is there.

Quote:
not sacrifice one of those things.
Because 2 hours is such a time sink.

Quote:
Sorry, but you know deep down inside it's true.
Sorry, but I've been gaming since I was 3. I know how to manage my time with vidja.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Man. . .personally, I'm about 50% more likely to vote for you if you play video games.

Though world of warcraft? eh. . .I'm more a street fighter player.

Maine Democratic candidate criticized for actions in 'World of Warcraft' | The Verge

"Colleen Lachowicz, a Democratic candidate for State Senate in Maine, has come under fire from the Maine Republican Party for spending large amounts of time playing World of Warcraft, reports the Sentinel newspaper on its website.

In an article posted on the Republican Party website Maine GOP, Lachowicz is criticized for "living a time-consuming double life" in the WoW community, where her character is a maxed-out level 85 Orc Assassin Rogue. The site says that "Lachowicz lives vicariously through" her avatar, along with listing select comments Lachowicz has made on online forums."

who cares? if she is playing on her own time, then why should anyone give a damn. wonder if anyone is complaining about other politicians hobbies?

also, level 85 is not the highest you can be, level 90 is.

also, she is not the only politician that plays.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Man. . .personally, I'm about 50% more likely to vote for you if you play video games.

Maine Democratic candidate criticized for actions in 'World of Warcraft' | The Verge

"Colleen Lachowicz, a Democratic candidate for State Senate in Maine, has come under fire from the Maine Republican Party for spending large amounts of time playing World of Warcraft, reports the Sentinel newspaper on its website.

In an article posted on the Republican Party website Maine GOP, Lachowicz is criticized for "living a time-consuming double life" in the WoW community, where her character is a maxed-out level 85 Orc Assassin Rogue. The site says that "Lachowicz lives vicariously through" her avatar, along with listing select comments Lachowicz has made on online forums.
"
For the Horde!!!

I'd vote for her just to get a Horde sister in office!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
I would rather our politicians play games such as thus:

Budget Simulator | Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget

Budget Hero | Marketplace.org

Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

But seriously, gaming is a known stress reliever. Some folks exercise, some play golf, some travel, other do WOW or Steel Panthers.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Keep in mind that WOW has been around for more than 10 years. In 10 years of even playing a video game for 2 or 3 hours a month, you can advance quite a bit!

And I bet you that politicians who golf spend more time on the golf course than Lachowicz has spent on WOW. My social circle is mostly comprised of geeks. Most of them are in their 20s, very successful in high tech fields, and, yes, they play games like WOW (or the latest obsession, Skyrim, which is not an MMO).

I started playing an MMO called Runescape about 12 years ago when I was in middle school. Over those 12 years, there were often years where I did not play at all - but my character is very high ranking. Every 6 months or so, I might log on to see what advances the gaming system has made. That doesn't mean that I spend hours every day glued to the computer playing the game just because my character is level 98!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Nah, Horde has the more mature players, where as Alliance is largely dominated by 12 year olds.
Varies by server.

My server is more balanced but in terms of people that go off the deepend and get suspensions etc. it's horde by far.

My personal feelings are that if they enjoy playing WOW then fine. I'm sure we have other pols watching tons and tons of sports each week and I rather like having some more closet nerds in politics instead of alpha types.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:

In an article posted on the Republican Party website Maine GOP, Lachowicz is criticized for "living a time-consuming double life" in the WoW community, where her character is a maxed-out level 85 Orc Assassin Rogue. The site says that "Lachowicz lives vicariously through" her avatar, along with listing select comments Lachowicz has made on online forums."
I think most politicos are more like "Leisure Suit Larry" fans.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think most politicos are more like "Leisure Suit Larry" fans.
LOL....it would be funny to list politicians and their game of choice....in fact....

Bill Clinton - Liesure Suit Larry, Grand Theft Auto
Hillary Clinton - Resident Evil, Starcraft (only plays the Zerg)
Bush II - Dora the Explorer, Minecraft (easy mode)
Condi Rice - Words with friends (but no one will play her because they lose 500 - 200), Myst
Obama - NBA2k, Madden Football, Dance Dance Revolution
Dick Cheney - Duck Hunter, Black Ops
Romney - Pong

Last edited by Mathguy; 10-05-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies