Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times

Advertisements

I think free condoms is the way to go here.

cheap to produce and surely helps society long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Would you rather your taxes went to support that child for eighteen years?

Again, it's not a perfect world. Women get pregnant. Always have, always will.

Which would you rather "subsidize?" Birth control? Abortions? Or helping to raise a child for eighteen years?
You left out the option I prefer: adoption.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Too bad your preference matters not to anyone aside from you and your family. And what it has to do with the subject of this thread is of even less consequence. Thanks for sharing though.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
You prefer that women get pregnant unintentionally, over preventing that pregnancy in the first place? Weird choice, but whatever floats your boat! Don't worry, though, there are still plenty of children in this world for you to adopt... how many have you adopted so far?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
how much is a packet of condoms these days anyway?

why do they need to be free?
They don't HAVE to be free, but it sure does increase the number of people who will use them! Especially helpful in the case of randy teenagers, who often lack the foresight to get over their embarrassment (of buying condoms at a store) - or lack their own money, and don't wanna ask mom/dad to pay for them instead.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 AM

588 posts, read 1,015,410 times
OP is so blindingly correct, yet idiots will still deny it. Here's to never ending poverty for some, and reality-starved solutions for others.

The cycle of poverty will continue until we effectively shut off the spigot.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,275,413 times
Quote:

I'm not speaking from a religious perspective, only from a taxpayer's.
Your tax money already goes to families on Welfare.

Would you rather pay $.0002 to subsidize birth control or would you rather pay $100,000 in your tax money to support a child on welfare for 18 years (and maybe longer, if he/she goes on welfare as an adult)

Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They don't HAVE to be free, but it sure does increase the number of people who will use them! Especially helpful in the case of randy teenagers, who often lack the foresight to get over their embarrassment (of buying condoms at a store) - or lack their own money, and don't wanna ask mom/dad to pay for them instead.
Yup! Make it ALL free!

The more contraceptives available, the better!

I actually think that free is an "incentive" - that a lot of people who might otherwise not use birth control, even if they can afford it, will be more likely to use it if it's free.

Free, after all, is a very good price.

You see, I am pro-choice, NOT pro-abortion. While I support a woman's right to choose, I would much rather have women (and men) have access to free contraceptives if it means reducing the number of abortions.

Last edited by Cinebar; 10-05-2012 at 01:22 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

Would you rather pay $.0002 to subsidize birth control or would you rather pay $100,000 in your tax money to support a child on welfare for 18 years (and maybe longer, if he/she goes on welfare as an adult)
They never respond to logic. They are usually the same people who think dinosaurs and their bible are totally compatible. But reps for you for your valiant effort to debate your point.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Too bad your preference matters not to anyone aside from you and your family. And what it has to do with the subject of this thread is of even less consequence. Thanks for sharing though.
A direct question was posed to me, so I replied. Please try to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You prefer that women get pregnant unintentionally, over preventing that pregnancy in the first place? Weird choice, but whatever floats your boat! Don't worry, though, there are still plenty of children in this world for you to adopt... how many have you adopted so far?
No, I prefer women and their partners accept responsibility for their actions. If they want to play, they should pay for their own birth control. What's next? Should we pay for a bottle of wine for them to party with too, to set the mood? I don't see why taxpayers should subsidize their abortions. There is a demand for babies. Unfortunately, there isn't as high a demand for older children.

How many I have adopted is really irrelevant, but I'll reply anyway. None. No biological children, either. Just because people can have children/adopt, does not mean everyone should have children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

I already replied to this question. I prefer adoption as the alternative to paying for other's choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies