Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yeah, neither do you, this is just the conservative line of the day, but you and all the other Republicans feel free to make up whatever bogus claim you want to undermine the president and the economy. Meanwhile, President Obama will keep on working to make things bettger for the people who have jobs and the people who don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The number is the number.The Left and the Right will do what they may with that number. The right will be obliged to tell us not to believe it and the left will tell us I told you so. Perhaps this is why the President was cool to Romney's bluster. Like his demeanor after Bin Laden was dispatched.
From my own corner of the world in 2008 there were around 40 jobs on a state job board within 5 miles of our zip code, today there are about 340. I have been checking job boards and want adds daily for at least 40 years. These economic trends never affect my ability to earn a living.

Ignorance is your best virtue.

Over the past 3 years, weekly first time filers for UE have been in the 360,000-400,000 range. That is every week. This past week was no different. People get UE benefits for 99 weeks, thanks to our President. Had he not jumped it up to 99 weeks, we would have UE numbers in the low 2% by now.

So, we have 380,000 weekly with about 4 weeks in a month. 1.5 million lose their job each month, give or take... right
We agree on that? If not, speak up!

Then you have monthly jobs created. 60,000-150,000 reported each month. Many of them government jobs & part time help. There are some good jobs in there too.
Do we agree, 60,000-150,000 jobs per month have been created? If not, speak up!

1.5 million per month first time filers for unemployment, not including the self employed that have no work.
then let us subtract the (let's be generous here) 150,000 that found work.
Do we agree this is the simple math equation? If not, speak up!

In 2 years of this, how many citizens are out of work? (let's be generous here) 30 million citizens. About 10% of the population. This does not include our children, that are trying to enter the work force.

The only way for UE numbers to even go down with those calculations, is to go back to my first paragraph. People have exhausted their UE benefits and fallen off the governments dole(a good thing for tax payers that are working) and statistics.

Only a puppet for the party, would be cheering that 1.5 million Americans, lose their job each month, or someone that is very ignorant and blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think the next debate is to discuss foreign affairs, not domestic issues.

I'm sure Obama will find a reason to throw it in there, but thats not the purpose of the debate, and thus it wont help.
The drooling babblers who don't know or can't seem to comprehend that debates have themes and topics are in for a surprise. They seem to think these debates are free-for-alls. And they clearly don't understand that debates have moderators.

Oh, yes, 0bama will throw it in, but not until his closer. He can't 'debate' it but it won't stop him from gloating.

In light of Libya, this next debate is gonna destroy 0boy.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Albeit the number is manipulated, the average American doesnt know this. So if Romney points this out in the debates it makes him look crazy, even though it is manipulated. The government came to Obamas aid again. No wonder he loves the government so much
It won't matter as long as Romney clearly explains his stance. The average american may not know (nobody does) whether the numbers are real or not... but they see reality. Obama can't convince people that the economy is doing better when everyday life across the country is worse. Even the few people whose situation is better now will remain skeptical. If their extended family, friends, neighbors are worse off then they might vote for Romney. Obama is toast!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ignorance is your best virtue.

Over the past 3 years, weekly first time filers for UE have been in the 360,000-400,000 range. That is every week. This past week was no different. People get UE benefits for 99 weeks, thanks to our President. Had he not jumped it up to 99 weeks, we would have UE numbers in the low 2% by now.

So, we have 380,000 weekly with about 4 weeks in a month. 1.5 million lose their job each month, give or take... right
We agree on that? If not, speak up!

Then you have monthly jobs created. 60,000-150,000 reported each month. Many of them government jobs & part time help. There are some good jobs in there too.
Do we agree, 60,000-150,000 jobs per month have been created? If not, speak up!

1.5 million per month first time filers for unemployment, not including the self employed that have no work.
then let us subtract the (let's be generous here) 150,000 that found work.
Do we agree this is the simple math equation? If not, speak up!

In 2 years of this, how many citizens are out of work? (let's be generous here) 30 million citizens. About 10% of the population. This does not include our children, that are trying to enter the work force.

The only way for UE numbers to even go down with those calculations, is to go back to my first paragraph. People have exhausted their UE benefits and fallen off the governments dole(a good thing for tax payers that are working) and statistics.

Only a puppet for the party, would be cheering that 1.5 million Americans, lose their job each month, or someone that is very ignorant and blind.
Most voters are not going to understand all this numbers wrangling. They are going to look around in their various communities and say yay or nay
All the present administration has to do now is dump some of those new jobs in Florida, Colorado, and Ohio. People who think you have to teach a math class on why those numbers are wrong don't get it. Romney won the performance but Obama won the message portion. He talked to us like the idiots most of us were and Romney gave a board room style presentation. That's why Romney supporters are saying he sure looked smart up there, they don't know what he saying but he looked good saying it.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Let me be the first to admit I was wrong about the next debate. It is a town hall format. It's the 3rd debate that's specifically foreign policy.

[SIZE=2]Topic: Town meeting format including foreign and domestic policy[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Air Time: 9:00-10:30 p.m. Eastern Time[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Location: Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York (Tickets)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sponsor: Commission on Presidential Debates[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Participants: President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Moderator: Candy Crowley (CNN Chief Political Correspondent)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The second presidential debate will take the form of a town meeting, in which citizens will ask questions of the candidates on foreign and domestic issues. Candidates each will have two minutes to respond, and an additional minute for the moderator to facilitate a discussion. The town meeting participants will be undecided voters selected by the Gallup Organization.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 10-06-2012, 08:01 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Most voters are not going to understand all this numbers wrangling. They are going to look around in their various communities and say yay or nay
All the present administration has to do now is dump some of those new jobs in Florida, Colorado, and Ohio. People who think you have to teach a math class on why those numbers are wrong don't get it. Romney won the performance but Obama won the message portion. He talked to us like the idiots most of us were and Romney gave a board room style presentation. That's why Romney supporters are saying he sure looked smart up there, they don't know what he saying but he looked good saying it.
You might be right on some points, but I think you're missing the big picture. Obama had a perfect scenario in 2008, and still had a tight race. Where are all the overly excited Obama "hope and change" supporters now? The excitement for Obama is underwhelming right now. Do you really think that all those voters are going to show up and vote for Obama again? There is much more motivation for people to vote for Romney right now(even if it is redemption, or an anti-Obama type motivation). So, A portion of the Obama voters will switch to Romney. How many McCain voters do you think will now support Obama? maybe the anti-Mormons? I think Romney will win big!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
The number is the number.The Left and the Right will do what they may with that number. The right will be obliged to tell us not to believe it and the left will tell us I told you so. Perhaps this is why the President was cool to Romney's bluster. Like his demeanor after Bin Laden was dispatched.
From my own corner of the world in 2008 there were around 40 jobs on a state job board within 5 miles of our zip code, today there are about 340. I have been checking job boards and want adds daily for at least 40 years. These economic trends never affect my ability to earn a living.

Maybe we can all just work for government.
There will be no GDP at all to worry about, none whatsoever.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Did the general population know you have to be collecting unemployment to be consider as unemployed in the government's book?

Come 1/1/2013 when extended unemployment get cut, the unemployment rate will drop so much. Back to historical 3 to 4%. Mission accomplished.
As well as if you had a job and worked 40 hours a week and got cut back to 15 hours a week - you are "employed". Even if you work 5 hours a week and get paid, you are "employed".

Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yeah, neither do you, this is just the conservative line of the day, but you and all the other Republicans feel free to make up whatever bogus claim you want to undermine the president and the economy. Meanwhile, President Obama will keep on working to make things bettger for the people who have jobs and the people who don't.
What Obama policy made this drop possible?

Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You might be right on some points, but I think you're missing the big picture. Obama had a perfect scenario in 2008, and still had a tight race. Where are all the overly excited Obama "hope and change" supporters now? The excitement for Obama is underwhelming right now. Do you really think that all those voters are going to show up and vote for Obama again? There is much more motivation for people to vote for Romney right now(even if it is redemption, or an anti-Obama type motivation). So, A portion of the Obama voters will switch to Romney. How many McCain voters do you think will now support Obama? maybe the anti-Mormons? I think Romney will win big!

I've held this perspective for quite a while also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies