Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM

15,093 posts, read 8,636,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm glad someone recognizes that television (and the movies) is basically propaganda. I've thought the same thing for a long time. But "glorifying homosexuality" is at least a propaganda objective I like--even though most of it's become a little corny and passé for those of us who weren't homophobic to begin with.

Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Well, lots of people like things that aren't good for them, including homosexuality. But it's not a phobia to realize the negatives, or reject it as some sort of positive outcome to be celebrated. That homosexuality is a natural reality affecting some individuals among populations, not unlike a congenital heart defect, is reason alone not to pass judgement or condemn those affected. However, it is not a condition to be glorified or celebrated anymore than one would rationally celebrate some other birth defect.

That the media promotes and glorifies it is not an acknowledgment of homosexuality's positive nature ... they are simply promoting the associated negatives just like all of the other negatives being consistently promoted.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:50 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, consider the source! I expect nothing less than breathtaking displays of ignorance from these people.
I know it's bad, but these people are so vile I sometimes wish they removed removed from the human species. Humanity can be so pathetic sometimes.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Ok...so it looks like it is believed that youngsters can know they are gay well before puberty, is this so..?

everyone agree..?
Yup. At the very least, they know they are different and don't fit in with their straight friends. Many families realize kids are gay at a very young age.

Adam Levine (lead singer of Maroon 5) has a gay brother. Him and his parents knew when the kid was 2.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
well, he was an MD at 16 so he was an early bloomer
He seems pretty even keeled. I doubt he had any traumatic incidence that influenced his sexuality.

On the other hand we have Chaz Bono who was molested/raped by a woman at 10 or 11. Saying that had no affect on her sexuality seems unlikely.
Except Chaz Bono is transsexual, which is completely separate from sexual orientation.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
They adopt each others children, but do not combine their DNA and procreate as a couple. they are two guys who live together and adopt children.
The poster didn't say gay COUPLES can't reproduce together, they claimed gay PEOPLE can't reproduce... just as many homosexuals are fertile as heterosexuals (meaning most but not all), and get this - they can even make a baby with their own DNA!

Lesbians carry and give birth to their own children all the time, and gay men often create a child with their own DNA and a surrogate. So the point is, being gay does not mean they are incapable of reproducing with their own genes. Thus, even if the world turned 100% gay tomorrow, babies could still be made. Don't worry, we aren't going extinct any time soon.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well, lots of people like things that aren't good for them, including homosexuality.
Except homosexuality is not negative or unhealthy.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,900 times
[quote=other99;26436523]Considering that my son has a longstanding crush on Glee's Blaine and regularly refers to him as "my boyfriend," I thought there was a fair chance that he would someday say, "I'm gay." But my kid is only 7 years old. I figured I had a few years before we crossed that threshold (if we ever did), probably when he was 14 or 15. I never thought it would happen this soon.
Amelia: When Your 7-Year-Old Son Announces, 'I'm Gay'
So gay people can be aware of their sexuality at such a young age. Do you think that this boy is just going through a phase or he is truly gay?[/QUO

No. Absolutely not. Your son is not gay. He's just happy.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
No, you're the liar.

I first had an inkling that I was gay around age 11, but never knew one single, solitary other homosexual until I came out 11 years later. No one ever "recruited" me. Like most other gay people who came of age in the 1980s and earlier, I spent my entire adolescence and college career in a state of shame, fear, and loneliness caused by people like you.

And we're never, ever going back.
Too bad I can't rep you again right now.

I have known gay people who grew up in the Appalachian mountains (in the 1940s-50s), on a farm in Iowa, the inner city of Cleveland with Baptist roots, etc. Either you are gay or you aren't, and anyone who thinks one can easily be coerced or "recruited" into it probably needs to reevaluate their own sexuality. I'm not saying that to be funny or sarcastic, I mean it for real! Considering I grew up near San Francisco with gay-friendly parents and activities, yet still remain heterosexual, that's a good clue that your surroundings have little to no influence over orientation.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
No spending time with normal healthy males like Dad engaged in manly activity encouraged by thankful women like Mom discourages that kind of destructive behavior...
Complete and utter crap.

Quote:
...Say Dad and son catch fish and son learns to shoot the .22 all at once, they bring said fish home and Mom acts all excited and gratefull and cooks up the fish after Pop and son gut it...
And.....? You're saying this like all gay men are hairdressers or fashion designers. Not to mention that the idea of doing "manly" things with Dad would alter someone's sexual orientation is beyond ignorant.

Quote:
While Mom's in the kitchen cooking and bringing Dad beers to the shop son is learning how to clean the rifle and dispose of fish guts properly....
So they end up with a beer-drinking gay kid that can clean a rifle and a fish. What's your point?

Quote:
The dog went too and he's kinda pooped but still engaged because he knows Moms gonna give him a treat and all...
I have no idea what this bit has to do with ANYTHING, but it's your story...

Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
As an adult, I think that you can look back and your childhood and recognize that you were gay at an early age, but a kid AT that age lacks the introspection to make a statement like that and really mean it. I think he's just repeating what he's heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies