Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think something need to be done about bullying
YES. This must stop. 8 57.14%
No..Just kids being kids 3 21.43%
other 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,025,259 times

Advertisements

Bullying seems to be getting worse by the year, if not by the month. IT seems every few weeks or so we hear/read or watch a story about kid taking his/her own life because they were tormented by their peers.

We occasionally read about the bullied retaliating by shooting their bully, or by planning to retaliate in some dramatic way, bringing guns/knives to school, I read something about a kid putting pills another students drink, etc.

There are a few stories about parents storming school buses and classrooms and confronting the bullies.
It's not just kids bullying kids anymore. There are kids who "bully" adults knowing that it's a good chance the adult can't or wont respond.

I'm sure that most of us heard the story of bus bus intended who was "verbally assaulted" by a bunch of kids.

Making the Bus Monitor Cry - Karen Klein Bullied by Kids on Greece District School Bus - YouTube

Karen Klein: Bus Monitor Bullied By Students On School Bus Speaks Out On 'Today Show' June 21, 2012 - YouTube

A lot of bullying is done because it will end up on the internet. For attention, for youtube hits,
This being the age of:
"lolz and rofl"
"ownz and pwns" or "owned or pwned" (I've seen both variations)
Being a troll.
Being a Gangsta or Thug.
Being a Jackass. (^ Remember when this was a insult? and not something people decided to be?)
I know I'm missing a few terms, abbreviation is probably being invented as I type This.)

Maybe it's a lack of discipline.

In the case of bullying that involves the net.
There are many videos of kids being beaten up, teased.
Then there bullied kids asking for help in a video, or in a blog.
Bullied Canadian teen leaves behind chilling YouTube video - CNN.com

It's daily that most of us probably read comments on the net that lack sympathy or is just so totally out of the blue randomly insulting.

Maybe it's the internet culture, the culture of anonymity. I'm targeting both adults and kids when I say this.
The feeling that they cant be caught. Thinking that a simple deletion of internet history and cookies clear ones name. The feeling that "they can't track me down so I can say what I want." Of course us "PC nerds" know that's not true. It goes beyond changing a few browser settings, downloading some software, and changing username/emails in the end we are all still somewhat "track able".

People yell "free speech," yet they hide behind their computer screens, yet they hide behind masks, hoods, and other costumes.
My feeling is if you need to hide/alter your appearance while saying something that you feel will insult someone else, maybe that's a sign you should not say it?

If you wont say it in person, as yourself (unaltered) why say it at all?
Anyway some propose strong criminal charges on bullies, some say special schools for the bullies, some on the other hand say it's just "kids being kids", free will, free speech.

Do you think anything can be done about bullying?

I used to believe it was part of being a kid, some were just mentally weak, it seems the bullying has routinely gotten worst.

I know this sounds like a rant just wondering how others feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Yes, I do believe bullying has gotten worse. And we're the ones that have made it worse.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
There are already laws against assault. What do you propose doing? Prosecuting people for insulting others?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
When I was young (many, many years ago) we had a town bully that was beating up on kids. One day, we all (half a dozen or so) took after the bully when he was picking on somebody, we chased him all the way home and beat the hell out of him. We told him that if he ever picked on anybody again, we would do the same thing. He never did it again and actually became friends with us. He was probably bullying because he felt left out. He turned out to be a nice guy.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
I grew up in the 50`s and 60`s in Toronto. I was a only child, and our next door neighbours were a family of five boys.

I fought every one of those kids, at one time or another, and WON, every time. How did I win....

Boxing lessons, every Saturday morning at the local YMCA, for about 4 years.

Plus, I wasn`t afraid to get hit, as I was hit in every one of my boxing clases, so it was not a worry, to me. I never had a problem at a school as the next door neighbours had told every one that : That guy can hit really hard `.

Went right through elementary school with no problems, but in grade nine, I had to re-establish my reputation. Took about two weeks, and four fights, all in my favour, to get the jerks off my back. Did I mention that some of them were three years older than I was ........

As an adult, I worked hard to keep my nose clean, and would only fight if there was no other way to solve the problem..............But I had a secret advantage, I would NEVER quit, until the other guy was out cold, or was begging me to stop.

Now at age 66,I don`t fight anymore, BUT I still know HOW.

Morale of the story............Be able to fight, and win, and the bullies will cut and run.

JIm B

Toronto.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Well all your stories of success by "bullying the bully" doesn't wash anymore.
Kids are taught to "tell someone" and not strike back and defend themselves anymore. Someone else has to step in and "stop it" for them.

See how this has turned out ?

Bullies will continue to bully when they have nothing to fear regarding pay back.
A punch in the nose does more to stop a bully then "Johnny, use your words" or "go tell an adult".
Bullies usually move on when their "victim" no longer plays the victim and shows no fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies