Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times

Advertisements

Have you ever laid in bed awake at night with a knot in your stomach because you didn't know how your family was possibly going to make it through the next month financially?

Have you ever felt the desperation of not being able to provide the basic necessities for your family even though you tried as hard as you could?

All over America tonight, there are millions of desperate families that are being ripped apart by this economy.

There aren't nearly enough jobs, and millions of Americans that actually do have jobs aren't making enough to even provide the basics for their families.

The following are 37 facts that show how cruel this economy has been to millions of desperate American families...

1. One recent survey discovered that 40 percent of all Americans have $500 or less in savings.

2. A different recent survey found that 28 percent of all Americans do not have a single penny saved for emergencies.

3. In the United States today, there are close to 10 million households that do not have a single bank account. That number has increased by about a million since 2009.

4. Family homelessness in the Washington D.C. region (one of the wealthiest regions in the entire country) has risen 23 percent since the last recession began.

5. The number of Americans living in poverty has increased by about 6 million over the past four years.

6. Median household income has fallen for four years in a row. Overall, it has declined by more than $4000 over the past four years.

7. 62 percent of middle class Americans say that they have had to reduce household spending over the past year.

8. According to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, 85 percent of middle class Americans say that it is more difficult to maintain a middle class standard of living today than it was 10 years ago.

9. In the United States today, 77 percent of all Americans are living to paycheck to paycheck at least some of the time.

10. In the United States today, more than 41 percent of all working age Americans are not working.

etc...

37 Facts That Show How Cruel This Economy Has Been To Millions Of Desperate American Families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...lneZd3ASA8JIWe

Pretty much sums it up !

Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
And for many, it's all about screwed up priorities.

46% of American adults now own a smartphone of some kind, up from 35% in May 2011; Smartphone owners now outnumber users of more basic phones

46% of American adults now own a smartphone of some kind, up from 35% in May 2011; Smartphone owners now outnumber users of more basic phones | Pew Internet & American Life Project

Nielsen report finds 56 percent of US households have a modern game console, total gaming time up seven percent

Nielsen report finds 56 percent of US households have a modern game console, total gaming time up seven percent -- Engadget

84% of US households have paid-TV services

The Cable Industry Isn

I find that last statistic amazing -- I have never once paid for television channels and I think my family is okay.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Gotta have the NFL Ticket!!

Although if it came to feeding my family or watching foosball games the food would come first. For many that isn't the case and they always blame somebody else mostly by tweeting on their handheld or laptop they purchased instead of food.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Thank you to the poster who referred to "households" and not "famililes." Many of us are a household and we count as much as any.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
But there are many families like those in Detroit who have lost jobs and are truely hurting.
Anyplace where the industry has gone downhill and people can't find work for a long time is hurting.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But there are many families like those in Detroit who have lost jobs and are truely hurting.
Anyplace where the industry has gone downhill and people can't find work for a long time is hurting.
Oh Crap, Im not real bright, what the hells the difference between a household & a family ? I have a
dog. Can I have my free cell phone now ?????

Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 PM

657 posts, read 717,100 times
None of this is the president fault. People live outside of their mean. And are unrealistic. One example the guy with the nicest car on my block still lives with his mommy. He about 40 years old. But nice car dude. Getting an apartment is not a priority to him. He even has a nice phone too.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 AM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
None of this is the president fault. People live outside of their mean. And are unrealistic. One example the guy with the nicest car on my block still lives with his mommy. He about 40 years old. But nice car dude. Getting an apartment is not a priority to him. He even has a nice phone too.
Interesting statement, since this has happened only recently what do you attribute these numbers to?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 AM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire600 View Post
interesting statement, since this has happened only recently what do you attribute these numbers to?
tv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies